Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Photography tips - photography gear

Old April 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Camera Poll

I'm wondering if some of you great photographers out there would share some of your camera experience....

What Camera do you have?

What do you like/love about it?

What don't you like about it?

Maybe this can help those of us out there who are still looking for that "perfect" camera.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old April 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM

I'm far from a great photographer, but I'm really excited about my new camera so I'll answer anyways .

What Camera do you have?
Canon Powershot SD 800 IS

I love the image stabilization, it's a definite must for me . The colour always turns out amazing, the images are clear, and I haven't had any trouble with the battery life at all and that was a major thing for me. The screen is pretty big so I could imagine it taking a toll on battery life, but since I haven't had a trouble with it with the screen on, I think it would practically be endless if I turned the screen off. As well, the start up/shut down times are very, very quick. It's handy when one of the dogs does something and I need to take the picture quickly, it seriously starts up in no time at all. It's also very easy to use, but it still has a bunch of cool features if you take the time to learn how to use them, which is a plus for people like me who have a lot of trouble figuring these things out...

My two peeves about this camera is that there's no battery life indicator, so you don't know how much battery life is left until it's almost gone. Another thing is that it doesn't use regular AA batteries so it might be a bit of a pain if the battery happens to die and you're out and about, but at least I'm not throwing batteries out constantly.

I've only had it for about a month, but I love it .

Last edited by chocolatecoffee; April 21st, 2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old April 21st, 2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,I have a Sony Cyber Shot 6,0 mega pixels,with a larger screen,I yet have to learn all the features,it has a 3x optical zoom(I need more).
Takes great pics outdoors,but I have trouble with night-time pics using the flash.I think I paid too much for it,it was $349+tax,much cheaper now..
My next camera will probably be a Canon.
You reminded me what I love about my camera,I love the rechargeable battery and the low battery-indicator.

Last edited by chico2; April 21st, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old April 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

1.i have nikkon cool pics S4

2.i like that i can turn the lens all the way around and see whats behind me to take sneaky pics of people who don't like pics of the taken

3.it has no stablizer

It has 6.o megapixels 10x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom.and i paid $ 300.00
including tax.still fiquring the settings out.

Last edited by angeldogs; April 21st, 2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM

I have a Canon Powershot A510 (aka the crappycam), a Canon Rebel XT (and a Canon Elan7 35mm... but nobody cares about those anymore )

I like the crappycam (A510) because it wasn't too expensive, it takes movies, the rechargeable AA batteries I bought last 2-3 days (unless I take movies). It's also very compact, so it's easy to throw into a pocket just in case. I also love that it makes short movies with sound, even if the quality isn't 100%. You can also edit the movies on the camera (cut the beginning or the end), which is really good.

I love the rebel XT. It's bigger and I'm afraid to damage it in extreme conditions (so I take the crappycam). I have a Sigma lens for it (the original lens is pretty garbagey) and I love my lens too. It's FAST, it's got amazing options (including a ton of manual and not-so-manual settings), the picture quality is awesome, the flash recharges quickly, the battery lasts a long time and the charger came with it... It's just great.

The A510 is kind of slow. You press and it takes a while to shoot. When we first got it, it was one of the fastest point and shoots on the market (that's why we got this particular model). But as I use the rebel more and more, the A510 seems to get slower and slower. Without the flash, it's quicker, but the flash takes forever to recycle. The megapixels are low (3.2), but I'm not taking crazy art pics with it either.

The rebel.. The size is a bit cumbersome... But you get used to it pretty quickly. Other than that, there are extra expenses, like buying a good lens, getting an external harddrive to store all the massive pics (so far my biggest pic was 8 megs, and I've taken over 8000 pics just with this camera (4000 others with the crappycam) in the past 10 months), getting a faster memory card to be able to use the camera at it's fullest potential... Oh and the flash sucks. It kind of points down, so you get the lens in the way all the time and get a big shadow. If you want to do anything serious, you need an external flash and the cheapest is about $400...

The A510 was about $350 (including a bigger memory card and the rechargeable batteries) and the rebel with the lens, about $1300 (when you add in all the extras (spare battery, external harddrive, faster card), it's around $1700...). So there's a big difference... But the A510 was really worth the money, IMO. It's better than quite a few of the point and shoots in its price range.

Last edited by Prin; April 21st, 2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM

I have an HP photosmart M527
it has a 2 inch LCD, 6.0 megapixels, 3x zoom

I like this camera because it has lots of modes to change the shots, for bright, night, snow/beach, macro, fast shot, and some other ones, I haven't really explored too much.
It's small enough to take anywhere, it takes double AA's, it has video with sound, but you can't hear it on the playback on the camera, only when you get it loaded onto the comp.
You can change the quality of the picture before you take it, so if you're taking a pic for say, pets.ca, you can lower the pixels beforehand and no mucking about trying to resize, afterwards when it's uploaded.

I really have no complaints, it's not the most amazing camera, but it's perfect for a start.
Old April 29th, 2007, 04:35 PM

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot H5 which I love, it's 7.2 MP, 12X Opt Zoom has anti-blur with a 3 inch LCD screen
I find it very user friendly and for a beginner like I am and that's important to me!
It also is a reasonable price for all the features you get.
IMO you can't go wrong with one of the H series cameras from Sony, they now also have the H7 and H9 which are a bit bigger and better so to speak but any of them are good sturdy cameras!

http://www.freewebs.com/crazy4cresteds/index.htm
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:05 AM

Hi

I just got a canon powershot A530. THe pics are clear enough at their huge full size to see skin pores and every detail if you wish.

Secondly, this camera will take a perfect pic in total darkness.

I only regret that I haven't gotten a bigger memory chip for it---yet.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Papa D

i just got a lumix fz50...10mp....12x zoom and it shoots in raw format also....still figuring it out though.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM
-

What Camera do you have? El cheapo

What do you like/love about it? I only paid $60 for it

What don't you like about it? I only paid $60 for it

Next question ?
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Young at Heart

I have a Canon PowerShot S80, 8 mega pixels, 28 mm wide angle. I like how quickly it starts up and I like the picture quality. The software to download pix to the puter is good too. There are lots and lots of features on this camera which, if one took the time to figure out, would be wonderful - I haven't done that - I take everything in auto mode. It is a very small size so I take this camera when I'm hiking.

I also have a Canon Rebel XT - and I agree, the lens that comes with it is crappy. I got a zoom lens and it's fantastic. The size is cumbersome - especially carting around two lenses and extra batteries but the picture quality is good. Again, there are tons of features on this camera that probably do amazing things - but I haven't figured them all out yet .
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Sony DCR-SR100- I had an HP regular digital camera and it had video ability but no sound so I thought both for work purposes and for personal use, I'd buy myself a new camera with some money I made sort of accidentally (ie an unexpected amt - which said to me, get something you want, so I bought cat stuff, a new LCD TV that connects to my computer and I can record from both) and a new digital camcorder.

It is easy to work with and is kind of a hybrid - has the ability to create a DVD right there and then as well as a 30 gig hard drive that lets me save a lot of taped time. (about 7 hrs of video)

I looked it up and it's here:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...ductId=1002548

I was not keen about PictBridge since I have so many SD ram memory cards but they work in my MP3 player , blackberries and PDA's (I have 2 -one for work, one personal) and my older camera which I still find useful. This one I like for digital work - taking videos for teaching or of my niece's first steps and I can edit it with the software. It works very well - the sound is superb - and the quality is better than I would get with a regular camera, not being a wizard with cameras, lol
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Swift Tribe

i picked up a Canon PowerShot A620, 7.1mp, 4X optical zoom

i *love* that i can just keep taking consecutive pictures until my card fills up. most cameras stop at 5, 25, 30.... mine just doesnt stop. the lense is a higher quality so the pictures are very crisp. very easy camera to learn on, grows with you. the swivel screen is a MUST also. wouldnt have it any other way.

a dislike? im always afraid the cover to the output/input is going to fall off. it just SEEMS flimsy. im pretty rough on my cameras and it hasnt hinted at falling off yet but still.... it just FEELS like it should fall off on a whim.

and you can get it for as low as $150. how can you beat that?

now if i could go back?? id have waited for the SD 800 IS.

im such a snob.

-ashley
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Swift Tribe

id also like to say ive had my hands on a Canon EOS 5D.

freeking amazing. i swear, i picked it up with the lights off in the kitchen, pushed the power button, turned the thing to my face, held the button down and got perfect pictures. i could count each and every hair on my nose. i could count the brain cells in my head. wowzers!! worth it?? well.... thats up for debate. if someone else is paying maybe!!!

-ashley
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I just bought the Nikon D40X.and i love it.and i love that my bro actually bought it.it's an awsome camera.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM

I have two, both Olympus

What Camera do you have?
The older one is D-560 Zoom, probably not sold anymore, but it was their base model at the time

It uses regular AA batteries, it take amazing pictures in all situations, the glass in it is fantastic, it has a panorama function that is cool.

The battery life on it sucks if using regular batteries, and is only a bit better with rechargeables.

What Camera do you have?
My newer one is an Olympus SP-510 UZ

Its a 7.1 megapixel with a 12x zoom that takes fantastic shots. It has 20 or so built in settings for various situations, plus is has a manual mode to let you fiddle with if you know what you are doing (I don't yet ). The batterry life on it is great to say the least. The video is pretty decent too, and it has sound. It also has image stabalization which I find I only really need for takin glow light shots.

Its much bigger than my older point and shoot, and I'm always paranoid about the lens getting damaged because its so big.
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Pet Photographer

camera already?

i imagine by now you've already picked your camera.

I've got a pentax K10d. Great SLR! which I think it best time, I never liked point and shoots. It's got a lot of great features and easy to control. I'm also a fan of the cannon Rebels. Good bodies and also easy to control. Both pentax and cannon have ability to interchange lenses. You can even look for cheaper lense such as a Tamaron.

The only thing I don't like about the pentax is the file size. I want something more than 10mb, but you get into really expenseive equipment for 11MB and above.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM

I have a Pentax K10D as well- and I love it!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Nikon D-80 with an 18-70 zoom and a 70-300 zoom. I'm going to add some expensive lenses to this, including something on the shorter end but also something for a longer look. I don't mind lugging all this stuff around the bush and up mountains. I don't like lugging it around on vacations and looking like Mr. Obvious Tourist. Lots of interesting functions on it. My wallet is big enough that I could have gone to the D200 or even above that but I tend to abuse these things with hot, cold weather, dunkings, banging off tree trunks, etc and the likliehood I'll have to replace things fairly often has to come into a decision.

I had a Panasonic DMC FZ20 but a few years of abuse finally pooched it. I'm seriously considering getting a new DMC FZ50 to complement the equipment I have. Good camera to have on a vacation. Great camera and images if you want an uncomplicated but fairly sophisticated range of lense, effectively 35 mm to 420 mm). . . . although it has some limitations, including the longer focal length.

We have a cheap Sony Cybershot, which is theoretically pretty low on the totem pole. However, I like using it and had great success with it in Italy last year. Good camera to have on a vacation to stuff in a pocket instead of carrying around piles of equipment and lenses. A couple of Italy shots won first place ribbons at the local county fair.

The challenge of using a lower tier camera to weave gold is always an intriguing one.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Papa D

rick

did you ever get the FZ50?
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i have a polaroid i533, 12x zoom, i love it haven't had any problems with it, can change colours, lighting, etc, etc.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I have the Nikon D80 with 18-135mm lens and the 70-300mm have had it for a while now and love it.
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Canon EOS 450D - with 60mm macro lens and ring flash for close up pictures and 70-200mm plus a 2x extender.

I love the range of lenses, it's not too heavy, I think the settings are easy to understand and picture quality it produces ain't too shabby lol!
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:56 PM

I have a Cannon 40D, with an attachable light and two lenses (telephoto and regular). I'd love to get a macro lens too. They're alot of bucks, but if you like to take pics of every lil` hair on your pet's head, it's a great camera.

I also have a little Sony cyber-shot with a zeiss lens, and it's pretty awesome for a pocket-sized camera.
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:05 AM

I have a Canon 7D and many lenses, one for every occasion!

I love that it's built like a tank, shoots at 8 frames per sec (perfect for pet action), and the image quality is outstanding.

I don't love that you will soon be selling your firstborn for "that next lens." Lens lust is constant and real.

But if you are serious about photography, you cannot go wrong with this camera (it also shoots HD video!). I posted some sample shots tonight.
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:22 AM

What Camera do you have?
Canon Rebel XTi w/ 430 exII Speedlight and Sigma 20mm Wide angle lens
Samsung SL620
Sony DSC -T7

Canon Rebel: Its the most versatile out of all my cameras, I can get neat results with the lens and love being able to take awesome photos

Samsung SL620 I got it off airmiles.ca using my airmiles. It was cheap and records HD video. It has a setting that the camera will recognize a smile and take the picture automatically, making it easy-ish to use for casual settings like family outings or parties.

Sony DSC-T7 was my first point and shoot. It's about 5 years old now, and was built like a rock. It takes amazing macro shots, can record video for long periods of time and is teeny tiny - can fit in a wallet!

Canon Rebel is not very reasonable for casual photo taking, has a lot of accessories and to get new accessories it is expensive.

Samsung SL620 is probably one of the worst point and shoot cameras I've used. It's slow, the menu is not organized very well and the video option, while it does take HD video, only records for 30 seconds. I absolutley do not recommend this camera.

[/QUOTE]
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM

What Camera do you have?
Canon EOS 7D

I love it's speed and clarity, it's customizable buttons, the 1080 HD video capability (which when I bought the camera I did not think I would ever use.) I love the electronic level for when you have your camera set up on a tripod. I love that you can set two focus points, one for landscape and another for when you turn the camera to portrait. That allows for really quick shooting.

It's a little heavy. That's it. I love this camera.