Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 25th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Senior Contributor

8 more cats to be euthanized...please help

Hi Guys, my cousin works in the industrial part of Lachine, (Montreal) and has been looking after a few generations of cats who have at one point or another been dumped. Everyone who worked in her building would help as much as possible, especially in the winter months. Many workers now have +2 cats . Hard to say no to a helpless stray Anyway, she has a new boss who can't stand cats and last month called the city of Lachine and asked them to get rid of all the cats. The city has captured around 8-9 cats, including 2 pregnant mom...all killed. The remaining cats have been trapped but let go by employees. They can't keep doing this and are now asking for anyone who may want to foster them or adopt them..they are desperate and willing to travel to find new homes. I will have pictures of them soon. Some are definately house cats as they are way too friendly, and some are wilder. The city workers told them that they would be taken to the SPCA and not killed, but when my cousin called, the SPCA had no idea of what she was talking about......I know everyone on this board has more than their fair share of cats...including me...but I may be able to take in 2 ( one is a tiny baby, who keeps going in the trap but is not heavy enough to trigger the door, so she keeps getting the food and never caught)...the other has been trapped 2x but as soon as they transfer him from the trap to another carrier, he runs off...very lucky guy)...anyway can anyone help.....please. the traps are very small and they are left oustside until someone calls them to tell them a cat is in the trap....I'm afraid that a cat may get in during the wekend andleft there without any protection from the cold....the traps are so tiny that once in the cat can not move at all.....:sad:
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's awful :sad: I wish I could help...

for finding foster or adoptive homes for these poor kitties.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Can anyone help?
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Who is contracted in this area? If BB - then the cats are euthanized. If MSPCA then they stand a chance.
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

If there is any organization that is in Ontario that is interested - I will arrange for transport out of province. I can do this.

If someone can help out then I will do whatever it takes to get them to you.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, Benmax, I just pm'd you. As for who is contracted..The men that come were the City of Lachine logos...so I beleive they are killed. They tols my cousint hat they don't kill, but take them to the SPCA...The SPCA isn't aware of anything, so My feeling is they have destroyes the 8 cats that they captured, including the 2 very pregnant moms. I suggested catch and release, but the boss does not want any cats near his building. My cousin feels very guilty bacause she and her co-workers have been feeding them and hiding them in the warehouse ( only on cold winter days) over the last 6 years. Anyway, I am her last resort. So thank-you a million times over. Thank-you for trying. Even if you can't hlep I appreciate your help. Thank-you
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

This is very distressing. I wish there was more that I could do however everywhere is completely booked with unwanted cats. I truly believe that the best option is taking them to the MSPCA. I do know that the ferals will be euthanized.

Listen - if you catch kittens let me know. There is an organization that does take feral kittens or non-feral however I cannot disclose this information because they will get flooded with requests. This is the best I can do for now. Even at that I will have to be sneaky just to get them to take....but I will do it if it means saving their lives.

Is there any cats that are friendly?

BTW - I did NOT get your PM. Please re-send.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
OMG, Benmax, I just pm'd you. As for who is contracted..The men that come were the City of Lachine logos...so I beleive they are killed. They tols my cousint hat they don't kill, but take them to the SPCA...The SPCA isn't aware of anything, so My feeling is they have destroyes the 8 cats that they captured, including the 2 very pregnant moms. I suggested catch and release, but the boss does not want any cats near his building. My cousin feels very guilty bacause she and her co-workers have been feeding them and hiding them in the warehouse ( only on cold winter days) over the last 6 years. Anyway, I am her last resort. So thank-you a million times over. Thank-you for trying. Even if you can't hlep I appreciate your help. Thank-you
Ok something is worrisome here. Contact the city immediately and find out if these city people are authorized to take cats and find out where they are going. Something is terribly wrong. Do not let this go. Insist on knowing where these cats are.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I resend the pm....My cousin said that most of the cats are aproachable. Most of the kittens and pregnat moms were the first to get caught...the food was too enticing for them to ignore.:sad:
There are 8 left. 2 are definately recent house cats....way too friendly.
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried rescue groups? Do you have friends or family that can foster until adopted?

Still did not get your PM.

What about the city of Lachine? Did they tell you where those cats are??
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

She called all the rescues in the area and are all full. No Room. I told her that I may take 2....but I have 5 already and 2 are still pretty feral. I am trying to find freinds...except that my freinds all have more than 2 cats already. I just wantt o buy them some time and hopefully a new lease on life. The city is not too co-operative with info. They were asked buy a tax paying company to ger ris of these felines and that is what they will do My cousin and some of her freinds are willing to travel to get them to a safe haven
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She called all the rescues in the area and are all full. No Room. I told her that I may take 2....but I have 5 already and 2 are still pretty feral. I am trying to find freinds...except that my freinds all have more than 2 cats already. I just wantt o buy them some time and hopefully a new lease on life. The city is not too co-operative with info. They were asked buy a tax paying company to ger ris of these felines and that is what they will do My cousin and some of her freinds are willing to travel to get them to a safe haven
Ok do not settle for this answer. If a company was hired that is fine but they are obliged to tell you where they are going. Tell them you will contact the media if they refuse to give the information or contact your major. It is your right as a citizen to know.
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

It wasn't a company. The people who came were wearing a coat with the logo of the city. They are telling her her what she wants to hear...except it doens't make any sense...not sure where they take the cats or who euthanizes them
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
~Cat Servent~

:sad: This sounds awful. I hope you are able to find some answers and save the kitties that are left, being so far away, I am sending all my that the others are saved from the fate of those others already caught.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks krdahmer, if you know anyone who is from the ontario area...We will do everything to try and save them even if we need to transport them to Ontario....they were all house pets at one point. They are pretty freindly. Some have been around for a while and have reverted back to their feral instinct though....I just want to save them from an untimely death...
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

cpietra,I wish I could help:sad:
I suspect these city-workers might have just dumped the cats somewhere far enough so they won't come back.
The City is not going to pay to have them euthanized..
I feel for your friend and her/his co-workers,they must be devastated and I imagine having to work for such a heartless person
These city-workers would take these poor cats over my dead body,but it's easy for me to say,I am no help:sad:
there somehow is a solution
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
cpietra,I wish I could help:sad:
I suspect these city-workers might have just dumped the cats somewhere far enough so they won't come back.
The City is not going to pay to have them euthanized..
I feel for your friend and her/his co-workers,they must be devastated and I imagine having to work for such a heartless person
These city-workers would take these poor cats over my dead body,but it's easy for me to say,I am no help:sad:
there somehow is a solution
Chico2 - they can have a contract with a pound such as AMR, Berger friggen Blanc or any other animal control. The city would absolutely pay. This is why it is important that this information comes to the forefront. If the animals are being destroyed we should be absolutely asking who is doing it - from there I can tell how it's being done....(not pretty).

Please push the city to advise you on who is doing this and where they are going. They cannot NOT tell you. They must.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Chico...the works are heart broken. Theyall have been feeding them and sneaking them in when it is -25 degrees outside. I know my cousin just about broke down when she watched them take away the 8 cats. She had named each and every one of them. She said that they were all staring at her as if to ask for help....not sure what was going on. Anyway now she is desperate to help the remaining cats...she does not want them to have the same fate....ofcourse having said this, I'm sure alot of people here are saying that they've heard this story a million times....and I being one of them...but I can't turn my back on these sweet creatures that did nothing wrong but be born and adopted by the wrong people. Enough blabbing....i am heartbroken
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Ben Max,I am sorry to be so ignorant,thank you for correcting me.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Benmax..maybe we are asking the wrong people, but so far no one seems to care or want to talk...they all seem to know nothing and keep passing us from one person to another....very frustrating. I'll get to the bottom of this tomorrow. I am not a citizen of Lachine, but I will tell them that I have some strays and wantt o know what the processis and what they do with them after they are caught.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Ben Max,I am sorry to be so ignorant,thank you for correcting me.
Oh gosh Chico2 - you are anything but ignorant. Please do not take what I wrote as being disrespectful in anyway. Sorry if I came across as such.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

cpietra,I know you are heartbroken,that's just the kind of person you are,that somehow these remaining kitties will be saved
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM

so sorry, I live in the US and I have 3 acres of land-- we only have one outdoor kitty (he sleeps in the hay in the barn-- i would take one or two, but I have no way of getting them)
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

thank-you Tandkchoate, I appreciate your help....can anyone help with the transportation to the US. Too bad you live so far away....but thanks all the same.
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Cpietra16 I am so sorry you have to go through this. I will keep my ears open and let you know. I dont really know anyone other than the SPCA that may help you out?? But I am here in Hamilton...and there are so many here too! Your friends should know they will be reapid someday for their kindness! those kittys may never have had a chance without someone like that feeding them and giving them some warmth on those cold nights..they were truly blessed to have known someone like that!

My heart goes out to you!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM

catwgowayback

I'm no expert, but I think that there must be a few animal shelters or humane society that these cats can be taken to. Instead of releasing them when they are caught, could you not take them to a shelter. I have rescued 2,10 week old kittens, and 2 older cats in the last month, and kept one of them.

good luck
and to He__ with the employer
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

catsgowayback, when I said catch and release, I meant spay /neuture, then relaese which is better than killing them. If everyone worked on this, instead of killing them off ( which does not end the problem of strays)there would be a less problem with ferals in the long run. We all need to neuture/spay our cats/dogs.But this is my 2 cents
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:52 PM

I too, live on a farm, we have 5 cats in the barn (heated) people just abandoned them, they are well taken care of and well fed...if you need help pm me. It could buy some time. I live on the south shore of montreal, near Boucherville/Ste-Julie.

Corinne
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Thanks Chico...the works are heart broken. Theyall have been feeding them and sneaking them in when it is -25 degrees outside. I know my cousin just about broke down when she watched them take away the 8 cats. She had named each and every one of them. She said that they were all staring at her as if to ask for help....not sure what was going on. Anyway now she is desperate to help the remaining cats...she does not want them to have the same fate....ofcourse having said this, I'm sure alot of people here are saying that they've heard this story a million times....and I being one of them...but I can't turn my back on these sweet creatures that did nothing wrong but be born and adopted by the wrong people. Enough blabbing....i am heartbroken
My heart goes out to those kitties and your cousin. I wish I had room for even one.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:13 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

COCO350 - thanks for stepping up. Believe me, if I could I would be helping. I am at my limit as far as taking more and housing. I just have no more room at the moment.
Let's hope this works out.
What is the chance of getting a story in the paper about these cats? Get it out to the public. I know you would have to do it in a way that it does not implicate the owner of the factory but it may help. They do the human interest stories here occasionally. It usually garners some results.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!