Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 26th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

pit bull Qs

ok guys, here is my Qs.
now i have heard that pit bulls dont like other dogs, is this from birth or does it develop? is there any PBs that have other dogs for friends or is it just not done??

LR you said chloe the spunk rat does not have dog friends but cats, did she grow up with them?? or did you get them later and she just likes them?? do they fight? any idea why she likes cats and not dogs??
thanks lovelies
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:23 PM

From my own experience I have not seen any PBs in my family that did not like other dogs, but maybe we were just lucky. My aunt had two PBs, (named Lady & Spike) and they played very well together. Spike actually loved ME so much as a child that he would not eat unless I hand fed him. He was a BIG baby. A few years later she loved the brred so much and found a blue-eyed PB she just adored so she adopted him too.

Now as far as interacting with other dogs, I had a Yorkie and whenever I cam to visit you would find all 4 dogs in a pile sleeping together. My other aunt had a mixed breed, a mutt of some sorts, and they were the same with her dog so it was not just because of their attraction to me. My grandma had a PB and the situation was the same there. I think the behavior is learned whether acting out from no attention or neglact, abuse, etc. We all spoiled our dogs rotten. They went everywhere with us, special meals on their B-day, etc. These dogs were lacking nothing and were they best I had seen.

My grandma lived in a mobile home and my aunt originally lived in an apartment before getting her house so space is not the factor either in my eyes. She had 2 full grown PBs in a 2-BR apt and they never once showed a sign of aggression.

Like I said, maybe these dogs were not the norm and we got VERY lucky but thats just my personal story.
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

melanie, pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs, just as border collies are bred to herd sheep. Both urges are bred in and genetic, and cannot be trained out.
Some deeply gamebred dogs start showing this aggression at a very young age,(as young as 8 weeks!) and some do not "turn on" until they are 3 or 4, which lulls unknowledgeable owners into a false sense of security and causes the "Pit Bull Mauls Family Pet" headlines.

Pit bulls CAN be taught and trained to behave when around other dogs, but cannot be trained to like them. They should never EVER be left alone with any other dog, even if they have gotten along all their lives.

Yes, many pit bulls have certain "dog friends" that they can play with, but may not get along with any other dogs. Pit bulls also do not usually give any warning when they are about to attack another dog. In fact they may be wagging their tails and looking happy. This is often because they are excited about fighting.

Many pit bulls are just fine with very small dogs, as they do not view them as opponants and can be very tolerant of them. They do sometimes get along with other animals, as my Chloe does.She does not even chase strange cats outside. I don't know if she was raised with them, as I adopted her when she was 2 yrs old. My cats and Chloe never fight, and Chloe is very respectful and kind to the cats, even when Stinkerbelle is being a pain in the butt. She likes cats and not dogs because generations of fighting dogs are behind her. Of course, some pit bulls - just like any dogs - will see cats as prey and attack them.

Yes, there are pit bulls who are totally non-aggressive to other dogs (cold) but they are the RARE exceptions, and very few adult pit bulls will be friendly to other dogs - particularly dogs of the same sex. Anything can start a fight - a frozen pea under the counter, a glass breaking, a door slamming - and they will not stop. The other dog WILL lose, as pit bulls are very very good at fighting.

The best advice I got when I got my first pit bull foster was "Never trust a pit bull not to fight."
Fanciers love them in spite of this, because they are incredibly sweet, loving, funny, smart and endearing, and soft and submissive with people. A pit bull with proper temperament loves absolutely EVERYONE. Any person coming to my door is greeted with "I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!"

My biggest problem with Chloe is trying to keep her from having convulsions with the ecstasy she goes into when someone comes. And that is how these dogs should be.

Yes, I very much wish the dog aggression would be bred out, but the good qualities far overcome this one bad quality.
Are you sorry you asked?
Old May 26th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks lovelies, great stuff. no not sorry i asked, really glad i asked, the more i know and all that. oh and extra glad cause we got a pic of beautiful chloe (makes me smile to see her), oh she is just the most beautiful creature, you a good and lucky mummy. and it is good to have a variety of stories just to give a bit of perspective. thanks lovelies
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Lucky,Chloe is so pretty,such a wonderful face and so is Stinkerbell(if that's her?) I am so happy for Chloe and for you,she's one very lucky dog!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, that's Stinky alright! Since her return, she has appointed herself Queen of the household and is hogging food and beds and still abusing poor Chloe!
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

She is so pretty you are a lucky mommie!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

and one cannot help noticing that cheeky gleen in her eyes
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
oh she is just the most beautiful creature
Thank you on Chloe's behalf!! Many times I feel I should have gotten a more socially acceptable dog, but then Chloe looks at me with her sweet face, and I know it wasn't a mistake.
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:41 PM

You know L.R. I think it's wonderful that people like you get Pitbulls! You are a responsible dog owner and you know your dog and your dog's breed. If all Pitbull owners would be like that, there would little if any problems with these dogs! Good for you!
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the kind words mako!

My Chloe is the best dog I've ever known, and I would anything to keep her safe.I get very disturbed when I see people doing anything risky with these dogs, because what they do impacts on me and every other responsible owner.
The general public DOES blame the breed and not the deed.