Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM

Do you remember...

A former member here, she told me her name was allymack..

She is friends with my mother and the other day i was talking to her about pets and this website happened to come up ( i was mentioning how wonderful it is here) and she said she knew, but due to her husbands health deteriorating that she never had time to come on. Her husbands health is continuing to go down hill and she is spending most of her time caring for him. We were talking about her dog and cat ( enzo and nero ) and she did not have the time needed to exercise the dog and to play with the cat ( trips to hospital and doctors and the like ).

Anyways, my mom has agreed to help her out by taking in enzo and nero, at least for the time being. Although i dont live at home currently ( i go home a lot of weekends though ) so I will be able to help with exercising enzo, since i know how much he needs it. She has informed us of everything about enzo, his onleash aggression, his bit of barking at the door, and of course all of the wonderful things about him like his bright intelligence and great personality.

We are putting him in day care tommorrow so when we bring him to our house tomorrow night he will be tired and hopefully make the adjustment a little bit easier.

Allymack is so heartbroken about this decision, but she knows they will be well cared for and she can visit them at any time.

With all of that being said, do any of you have suggestions on how to make this transition easier for Enzo ad Nero?
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Hedgiemama,I remember Allymack,but not so much about her,when you told me about her husband,a lightbulb went up.
I am so sorry he is not any better..ask your mom to give her a hug from us here.

Is your mom taking in Enzo and Zero permanently??
It must have been a very,very difficult decision for Allymack,but she is lucky to have a friend like your mom
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
-

Sure do remember Allymack and sorry to hear about her Hubby, please pass on my good wishes to her HM.

So nice of your family to take on the responsibility of Enzo and Nero and bless Ally for doing the unselfish deed of entrusting them to your family.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:51 AM

Chico, we arent 100% sure if it will be permanent yet. My mom, my family and I are all prepared to take on the responsibility of bringing her two wonderful pets in to our home if need be, it all depends on the health of her DH.

It will definitely be a change for both us and the animals but i hope it all gos smoothly.

I will make sure to pass on your good wishes to her.
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Please pass on good wishes to her. Strength and prayers to her DH.
Your family is a good one! Hugs to you all for helping out a fellow human being and her beloved furbabes.
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:14 PM
Doggie Wench

Hedgiemama, please give Ally my love.
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I remember Allymack.

I am so sorry to hear her DH is not doing better, please give her my best wishes and lots of .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Hedgemania, bless you and your mom for helping Allymack and her family out. It will certainly help to ease her stress knowing her furkids are being loved and cared for. Please pass on my regards to her and her hubby as well.

That said, I think you were asking for advice in the transition for the dogs. If you can you should bring their bed, toys, dishes and a couple articles of clothing from Allymack and her hubby. Having their scent may help the dogs to settle some. Keeping them tired (as you indicated) will be a good first step also.

Again, bless you all for helping
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Please pass on my good wishes to her DH and her. That is so great that she will still be able to visit with them and not have the stress of caring for them as well.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:39 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Please pass on a huge hello and hug to Ally for me and tell her she's in my thoughts all the time. I too am sorry to hear about her hubby and the tough choice she's had to make.

Give Enzo and Nero a hug for most of us too eh.
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM

thanks DD, i think we have pretty much got it covered then.

and thanks everyone, ill pass on your messages.
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

As soon as you said Enzo...I remembered the name. I hope she is doing ok and I wish her husband good health...
did she not have horses as well? you are a good family to do what you are doing. huge heart!!!
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM

she did yes, well does, she is boarding them atm, so they are also being taken well care of.
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I was wondering how allymack was doing?? Please give her a message for us! We are all here thinking of her and sending many good vibes her way!

I hope the transition goes well for all involved!

Thinking of you Allymack!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM
-

I have often wondered what happend to allymack and very sorry to hear that her husband's health has not improved.

HM, it's so nice of your mom and you to help out like this.

Please add my along to her as well.
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I wondered where allymack had disappeared to. Please tell her we miss her very much. And send along my hopes for her husband's health to improve. I know how tough it can be to juggle everything.

The transition for Enzo may be a little easier than it is for Nero. Nero is a black kitty, isn't he? I think I remember a picture of him playing with a laser light on a new floor a couple of years ago. Anyway - does your mom have cats? If so introductions can take a while and need to be done correctly in order to make his transition better. I would recommend a room just for Nero for a few days filled with his things from allymacks. That way he has things that are familiar to him. Once he is comfortable in that room he can be allowed to roam a bit. Make sure the door to "his" room is left open so he can escape back to it if he is feeling unsure and timid. If there are other kitties around I would leave make the transition a little longer. Let them smell each other under the door, do a blanket exchange where you take the blankets each cat has been sleeping on and put them in the room with the other kitty(ies). Once that has been done a few times, or once or twice if they seem to be accepting it, then you can do a room exchange where Nero is let out to explore and the resident kitty(ies) can go into Nero's room to explore. This way they pick up the scents. Once that has gone smoothly you can try letting Nero out of the room so the cats can meet face to face with supervision. I would not advise leaving them on their own in the same room until you are sure they are getting along well.
A really good site that I love is - http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management
Hope that helps a little bit.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:04 PM

14, nero is a beigeish orangeish colour, and enzo is almost all black with a bit of white. my mom doesnt have any cats right now, so i think we are okay with that, but i think i will give Nero his own room for the first night or two.

Should we wait until we bring enzo home from daycare to bring nero home? just so the dog is around to make him more comfortable?
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:12 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
14, nero is a beigeish orangeish colour, and enzo is almost all black with a bit of white. my mom doesnt have any cats right now, so i think we are okay with that, but i think i will give Nero his own room for the first night or two.

Should we wait until we bring enzo home from daycare to bring nero home? just so the dog is around to make him more comfortable?
Ooops, shows you how faulty this brain has become.
I would definitely give Nero his own room for a few days. He will need to feel comfortable in that room before being allowed out to explore. I would let Nero get settled in his room before bringing Enzo in. Let him have a few hours to explore and settle first. It may be a good idea for Enzo to be tuckered out and not really excitable before taking him in to see Nero.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry to hear things aren't going well for allymack and her hubby. How wonderful that your mom is willing to help out, HM! Add my good wishes to the collection, please

Does Enzo have a dog bed that's coming along with him? That, familiar toys, and Nero's presence (even Nero's litter box, since it will be a familiar scent ) will all help him make the transition. Does your Mom currently have a dog? (I know you said Nero will be an only cat.) If Enzo and Nero get along well at allymack's, they'll be a great comfort to each other as they get used to your Mom's house and routine. It'll take a little time, but I hope transition goes well!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Does Enzo have a dog bed that's coming along with him? That, familiar toys, and Nero's presence (even Nero's litter box, since it will be a familiar scent ) will all help him make the transition. Does your Mom currently have a dog? (I know you said Nero will be an only cat.) If Enzo and Nero get along well at allymack's, they'll be a great comfort to each other as they get used to your Mom's house and routine. It'll take a little time, but I hope transition goes well!
Yep, his bed, kong, cuz's and skineez ( i think there called? ),backpack clicker, treats and dog food will be coming. so that should help him settle him in, hes off at daycare right now, hopefully getting tuckered out

Neros bed, food, litterbox, sock bunny ( she said he like to pick it up at night n meow outside your room until you throw it down the hall for him once ) and of course his laser pointer will come. Ill have to see if we can get a blanket or shirt from allymack's house to put in the his room with him.

And theres no other dogs either, no pets in my moms house except for lots and lots of fish, which doesnt really pose too much of a problem.

Ill pass on all of your best wishes, im sure she and her DH really appreciate them !!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh,lots of fish,that will keep Nero occupied
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So don't forget to update us on how it goes, HM! And we'll need pics, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:07 PM

just coming to do that now Hazel!

This is just what my mom told me ( i couldnt make it home this weekend )

She said Enzo was really tired after coming home from daycare, which was expected after talking to allymack. my mom said she literally had to wake him up to go pee because he was so tired he wouldnt get up him self. when he first came in to the house she just walked him around and let him sniff and check things out. He didnt want to go in the basement, but that was okay because we are planning on putting the cats litter box down there after he is all settled in. My mom put a pb an treat kong in the freezer for him so he would have something to play with and munch on after she takes him out on the street for a little walk and stretch.

Nero was put up in my old bedroom, a fairly small room so he can get comfortable in the bit of space and then we can open the door up in a day or two and he can explore the house himself. She put his bed in there but said he is preferring to sleep on my bed, but i guess why wouldnt you choose a big comfy bed over a little kitty bed . He has been eating all his food ( that wasnt really a concern, allymack said he is always hungry and will eat pretty much anything you put down for him ) and he has been using his litter box, so he seems to be adjusting fairly well and becoming rather comfortable. He also like to jump up on my dresser and watch the fish bowl, so i guess he has a bit of entertainment too

I think i will be heading home next weekend so they will both get to meet little Bintu and i will be able to take Enzo out to the dog park or for a good long walk to burn off some energy.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sounds like it's going quite well!!