Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 30th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Tribute Video (Aim of Promoting Senior and Special Needs Rescue)

Hi everyone:

I am posting this video I made of my dog Lilly (who passed away 6 months ago) in the hope of inspiring people to consider adopting a senior or special needs pet. These animals often get overlooked despite what they have to give. Senior animals are incredible: they face their twilight years and months with such wisdom, dignity and courage and bond so deeply to the person who has saved their lives (they always seem to know). Sometimes they seem despondent and broken-down in the shelter, but once you bring them home, they blossom before your eyes, with flashes of puppy-like behaviour mingled with a mellow and zen-like approach to existence.

Please see the video for proof of just one of the many ways in which it can be a profound privilege to share your life with a senior and/or special needs pet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjsDCc4lCE

Post approved by Admins

Last edited by marko; December 31st, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:56 PM

Thank you for permitting this post = )

Sorry for any confusion.
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:01 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

What a lovely video! Thank dawg there are wonderful people like you that take on special cases and seniors...my heart goes out to you on your loss. MKany of the members here have suffered great loss this year! and are hoping the new year brings us all new hope!

Thanks for sticking around and we look forward to getting to know you better!

I am sure your Lily is romping around at the Rainbow Bridge!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks so much, Winston! She was the BEST dog ever (she was actually my very first dog, apart from the dogs my family had when I was a young child)

PS I posted in the breed characteristic forum querying if anyone can guess what her breed mix was? I have been so curious for so long.
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Lilmac.what a sweet little dog,so sorry for your loss,many of us here have had great losses this year

The video is wonderful,at first I thought she was a white Badger

Many members here have adopted senior dogs,I would too if I could have a dog.
Old December 31st, 2010, 05:58 PM
-

I saw this video posted on the "Stop the Slaughter" fb site LiliMac

Kudos to you for adopting a senior with special needs

Lily was lovely
Old December 31st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Tribute Video

Love your tribute video to Lilly, thanks for sharing the love you felt for her.
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:25 PM

Where is the LIKE button???? lol I agree adopting a senior is awesome. Seniors ROCK!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for sharing that video of your precious Lilly

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:27 PM

Thanks!!

On my Youtube account, I also have two other Lilly videos and one of my current dog, a hound cross, named Mac, singing.

Here are the 2 Lilly ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDeFqSN8gwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNaYVGlqEPk

And here's Mac! (He's actually quite talented, but this is the only song he will sing to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs3TmHCyuJU

What I'd like to do is create more videos to promote the idea of special needs and senior pet adoption in general and also to promote specific animals who need homes, but my technical skills are somewhat limited at this point.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:51 PM

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone who checked out the video (I am only 100 views away from 2000--hooray!). For some reason it means a lot to me for people to see how beautiful she was and know her story. I know that so many people are reluctant to adopt a senior dog, let alone one who is dying, yet it was the most profound and rewarding experience that I have ever had.

She was my very first dog, and it was very difficult to let go at the end, but my grief was balanced by my knowledge that I had done something good for a dog who might otherwise have had a horrible ending. Instead of lamenting how brief our time was, I felt incredibly grateful that she spent those months with me, and got to pass from this world in the arms of someone who loved her (rather than frightened, confused, and alone in a shelter).

The one thing that I believe that every dog deserves more than anything else is a happy ending, however long or short it may be--a chance to pass from this world without fear or anxiety. Even those animals who don't have long to live deserve to spend their remaining time in an environment that allows them to feel safe, loved and protected.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but when I ultimately did have to euthanize Lilly, it was more peaceful than I could have imagined. She actually was snoring in my arms during the process. I forced myself to wait until she was finally gone before I allowed myself to leave the room in tears because I didn't want to ruin the moment for her.

Ever since then, my goal has been to persuade as many people as possible to consider palliative adoption or fostering. I certainly intend to do it again.

I know several people who repeatedly adopt ill and dying animals and they similarly report a deep bond and an incredibly rewarding experience.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Doggie Wench

LilMac, you're making me cry . I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us .
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

what a wonderful video and what a wonderful person you are for sharing your life with her, and for allowing us in to witness it.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM

Honestly, I wasn't a wonderful person at all. I went to the shelter that day intending to adopt a 7 month old GSD puppy with aggression issues who had been there for several months, with whom I had developed a close relationship but as it turned out he had been adopted that morning.

I then turned my mind to several other dogs there before considering Lilly, whom I had walked every day. I really was terrified to adopt her. I was afraid of the cost and the emotional pain it would cause me to not have much time left with her. But I felt I had no choice because I was so afraid that I would go in to walk her one day only to find out that she had died in her cage (and I would have felt responsible since I had the chance to save her).

In the end, I was the one who was lucky. I remember the euphoric joy I felt when I renewed her city licence at the end of one year because when I had first licenced her I had recalled thinking with sadness that she would not make it so long for me to ever have to renew it (I was told that 6 months would be an optimistic bet for the time she had left when I adopted her).

She really taught me so much that I could never have learned anywhere else. Her total optimism despite her situation--her even temper---her continued joy in the simple things in life--her innate sense of wisdom and fairness--all were examples of what I would like to strive for when facing adversity in my own life.

That's why I want to get the message out there to show as clearly as possible that people who take home these old and sick pets are the lucky ones. Yes, it saves the animal, but in the end you get rewards beyond what you give up. I think it is something that everyone can do if they gather up the courage for it, and it is something that they won't ever regret.
Old January 18th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Lilmac,Mac is adorable and very,very talented
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Lilmac, you are a very caring person. You looked past all the cute puppies that everyone wants, and you found a jewel.. Lilly was very lucky, and watching the video, so were you.