Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 16th, 2016, 12:16 AM

Protest pooping?

I have a four year old white shepherd dog. He is totally house broken. We got a new puppy six weeks ago. She never poops inside. Sometimes has a pee accident. Sam the adult dog has pooped in the house two times over the past couple of weeks. It is on a slate floor that has been washed and sprayed with Febreeze between poops, but it was roughly in the same spot.
The puppy follows him and is sometimes a pest. They do play and seem to have fun most of the time. Sam is a very gentle dog who rarely growls or snaps at her. He sometimes just wants to avoid her.
I am wondering if Sam is doing this because he is disoriented, or jealous. Have you ever heard of this type of inappropriate defecation when a new pet is brought into the home ?
Should I try to 'defend' Sam and separate them if it seems like he needs to get away from Mo the new pup ?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old July 16th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Febreeze isn't going to remove the smell it only cover the smell up . You need to buy a spray to remove pets urine and poop smell from rugs etc.
Old July 16th, 2016, 11:52 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, that would be my first step, too--to get an enzymatic cleaner that is formulated for cleaning up urine and fecal odors.

As to why Sam is having troubles--does he get to go outside alone to eliminate? Sometimes a pup can put off an older dog trying to play while they're outside and the adult is put off by it, comes back in and has an accident later.

Might not hurt to bring a stool sample to the vet for analysis, as well--just to rule out something medically wrong with Sam.

Probably, he's just a little put off by having another dog in the house, and a pup to boot. It's not too unusual to have routines, even potty/poopy routines, upset by a new puppy--and that can lead to inappropriate elimination in the house by even the adult dogs in the family. We had similar incidents on occasion after adding new dogs to the pack. It usually passes fairly quickly.

If Sam seems pretty tolerant of Mo most of the time and never snaps, then it's probably okay to let them work out their boundaries on their own. If she gets too feisty, he'll eventually put her in her place and she'll learn some respect. They shouldn't be together alone without supervision till you know she's respecting him, though. When the correction comes, it might look mean or aggressive to you--maybe a show of teeth and a snap, or growling--but if Mo just squeals and runs and it doesn't escalate, it's normal. Don't scold Sam for being mean--it's just his way of telling her to back off and she should take it as a warning lesson. If he's starting to look a little panicked and doesn't put his paw down, though, stepping in to give him a break would be a good idea. Some dogs are just too tolerant for their own good, imo!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 16th, 2016, 01:37 PM

Thank you Hazel

You seem right on the money with good advice. Thanks so much and I will make sure Sam is not hassled while doing his biz niz...
Old July 19th, 2016, 06:23 PM

I'm glad to report that Sam has not had a problem. I make sure puppy does not hassle him continuously and he has some space to take a poop with peace and quiet. I have also started taking them out to run off leash on the local Sandbar. It does wonders for puppy because she gets thoroughly tired out and Sam can feel like a big dog again and not just a baby sitter.
Old July 20th, 2016, 09:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, hurray!! A tired puppy is a good puppy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 24th, 2016, 01:17 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Febreeze isn't going to remove the smell it only cover the smell up . You need to buy a spray to remove pets urine and poop smell from rugs etc.
I'd like to say something about Febreeze. The way this product works is to encapsulate the odor molecule. The encapsulation will dissolve when the object that is sprayed is washed with soap or detergent and water.

Febreeze also has a perfume scent but the product does not simply cover up the unwanted odor. This product is extremely useful in pet training. Particularly to prevent a pet from returning to furniture or a fabric area that cannot easily be removed or washed. Pets are scent motivated and once your pet enjoys the comfort of your sofa it is very difficult to train them not to get on it. Febreeze works. The comfy odor is removed and pets do not like the perfumey smell.

Saying NO and spraying some in the air in the general direction of your pet (not in it's face) will deter even the most stubborn.

I have used it for digging, poop eating, and furniture loving dogs and cats with excellent results.
Old July 24th, 2016, 01:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It won't neutralize urine odor once the urine soaks into the carpet, though. An enzymatic cleaner, will. I agree, though, that Febreeze is pretty good for pet odors on upholstery--we do use it on the couches and chairs they use, and on the various dog beds and dog nests we have. Actually, we have more dog beds than people chairs in our house!

I'm curious about how you'd use Febreeze for training a dog not to eat poop? The only thing we've found that works absolutely is to get to it before they do and pick it up! Nothing seems to lessen their desire for it, though.

Old July 25th, 2016, 10:27 AM

Thank you all for your advice

We do not have carpeting and puppy has never pooped in the house. I do have an enzymatic urine remover that I use in my studio which has brown paper on the floor to which puppy is attracted for pee incidents.

To use Febreeze as a pet training aid spray generously over the area which you do not want the pet to return to. This works with poop but you do have to leave the poop in the yard for a day or at least until there is another poop to spray.

Providing a distraction or an alternative to any unwanted behavior is important. On the poop thing say " no poop " and offer a toy or food and get the pup distracted and away. The same goes for digging it is best if you catch puppy in the act, fill in and spray the fresh dirt and distract.

We do not allow dogs on the furniture but We have two pet beds in every room and I do let them get on the bed. I like the cuddle and bedclothes can be easily laundered. Furniture cannot. We offer good beef bones (not rib bones that can splinter) . We feed quality food, that is high protein grain free kibble with a little bit of Tyrells canned food mixed in for taste. They both free pretty much free feed now and neither over eats. Sometimes poop eating is caused by inadequate food.

I have even used Febreeze to keep a cat from sharpening it's claws on the furniture or the carpet. Spray the scratched portion with Febreeze say No and if necessary spray a shot in the air for emphasis. The key here is to have a scratching post or device that you regularly sprinkle generously with catnip that is well away from the scratched and febreezed location.

Cheers
Old July 25th, 2016, 12:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Well, bah... Probably as a poop solution wouldn't work for us because we have 5 dogs and 3/4 of an acre fenced for them. We'd end up with a lot of poops out there and go through a lot of Febreeze! So we'll probably just continue the way we're going. We go out with them every time, anyway, so picking up right away just makes sense...

Might try the Febreeze if the new kitty starts scratching on the furniture, though.

Old July 20th, 2016, 10:52 AM

i think sam is just imitating your new pup mo.. and also you should disinfect the area which mo just poop because even if you clean it with a mop the scent still linger inside the area..