Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:06 AM

Healthy Weight

I have a concern regarding weight control food. Here's the history on how my female cat started to pack on the pounds.
When my other half and I moved in with each other, he brought his female cat Tiggs and I had 2 males, Smokey and Bandit who were brothers. Smokey has a urinary issue and is on special food. Bandit was on the same food as well, the vet said it would prevent Bandit from developing the same issue and it was easier than buying two different types of foods and keeping them separated. When Tiggs came into our family we asked the vet and he said it wouldn't hurt if she was on the same food as the boys. They all were on the same food for a while. While at the vet a few months later we were told she needed to slim down. My other half said that Tiggs has always been a bigger cat but her weight has increased and we switched her to a weight control food. She's been on this food for a few months and it seems to be working. She seems to have more energy and we can see a difference. The only concern we have now is that she has lost too much weight.
We have a routine when we feed them, Tiggs goes into the bedroom for a bit with her bowl and Smokey is given his bowl in the kitchen. When she has had enough she meows at the door and by then Smokey is finished too. We have noticed lately that Tiggs sits at the door to the bedroom, her way of showing us that she's hungry. She's been doing this more and more. We are afraid that she's not eating enough.
The bag says the food is suppose to help maintain a healthy weight but I'm worried that it's only making her lose weight. We are thinking of switching her to an indoor cat food, we just don't want her to gain all those pounds back, anyone have any suggestions?