Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:43 PM

Dog destroys house only when we are not home

We have an 8month old Shar Pei that is very well behaved when we are home. He plays well and is completely house trained. The problem is when we leave the house. He turns into maniac and chews everything within reach. The banister, corners of door, base boards. He also somehow manages to jump up and get things off the table and chew them up. Nothing seems to be off limits of what he chews when we are not home. How do I doscourage this behaviour when it only happens when we are not with him.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:27 PM

I would crate him when you are out and cannot supervise him.

Make sure he's getting enough excercise and that you have properly crate trained him so he is tired and content while in his crate. As he is still a puppy he will entertain himself while alone. He may destroy your belongings and in addition he could injure himself.

Once he has outgrown the puppy phase you could then start alone training him where you gradually build up the time he is left alone and loose in the house.
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL, eight months old is one month shy of what I have come to believe is THE worst age for acting up, nine months. So I confidently predict it will only get worse.

You started trusting your dog alone at a much younger age than I ever did.

How long is he alone? Did you work him into being alone with only minutes at first and up to longer and longer times?

Ditto the exercise question.

I do not like to see a young dog, or any dog, crated for a whole work day, over 8 hours. By that age most can hold their bathroom needs but they are still growing and can't move around properly and if they do have to poop or barf then they're stuck lying in it.

I prefer the crate to have an open door and be within a big secure pen. I'd like them to have a mid day break, you or a neighbour come in to take them out for half an hour or so. There is also Doggy Day Care and you might find only a few days a week has effects that last the whole week, my friend did. My friend also hired a dog walker who took her GSD out for a hour long walk off leash.

Good luck. It's bad enough coming home to a wrecked house but you could come home to a seriously ill or dead dog. They will chew and swallow the darndest things.
Old March 10th, 2015, 08:22 PM

Crate

I would definately crate him. I crate trained my dog and it was the best thing ever. You don't have to do it forever, just do it until he outgrows his puppy stage and then let him loose and go out for short periods of time to see if you can trust him again. He is at that prime age for chewing right now. There is some info on this website about crate training. http://healthfurpaws.com/crate-training/
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:21 AM

I understand how messy it can get, but most dogs become clingy when they get used to their owners being around all the time. However, when the owners leave the anxiety kicks in and the only way they could express this trait is by becoming destructive. Its possible to slowly train your dog to warm up to the idea of being left alone and behaving well.
Before you leave the house try to stuff the food toy to keep it occupied, also consider engaging your dog on strenuous activities and ignore some of its crazy behaviors and pretend she doesn't exist. In other words try not to give it much attention, this way your dog will gradually start feeling comfortable at home and anxiety will eventually disappear. I hope it helps
Old November 15th, 2018, 10:13 AM
banned user

I had the same problem. One of my dogs got really frustrated when I left him alone. Even for a couple of hours, he would "show" me that by destroying my sofa, carpet, shoes, etc. I didn't try a crate because I have a small apartment. I tried different dog toys, like those treat dispensing toys, and it worked! I read something about interactive dog toys that they are better than chew toys, and I found out then that my dog would stop playing with chew toys as soon as I left out the door. Treat dispensers keep him busy while I'm out and I recommend them.

It doesn't always work, because he gets better and faster everytime I give him the toy, and sometimes he chews a sock or two My cousin locks his dog in the kitchen. I don't agree. Its my dog's house too! He deserves the best.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; November 19th, 2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: No promotional links, please