Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM

travel sedation for cat

I need to sedate my cat for a flight. I tried Acevet but it didn't work. Any other suggestions and required dosages?
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Why do you need to sedate your cat? Will he/she be traveling in the cabin or in cargo hold?

Sedating pets on a flight can be dangerous, causing their blood pressure to drop to deadly levels.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Why do you need to sedate your cat? Will he/she be traveling in the cabin or in cargo hold?

Sedating pets on a flight can be dangerous, causing their blood pressure to drop to deadly levels.
I agree with you Sugarcatmom. Also Cabin or cargo hold..you should not sedate for either.

Also have to say I like your quote concerning our slaughterhouses. Like me, I am assume you are vegitarin. Any good veggie quick recipes you wanna share. Expecially sandwiches, if you got some.

ACO22
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM

She will be traveling as carry on and will meow non stop if not sedated. That can't be good for health either. what is you expertise on blood pressure. My vet did not mentioned this.
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Also Cabin or cargo hold..you should not sedate for either.
You're right, and I really hate using drugs on cats unless there's a profound reason to. The biggest difference though between cargo and cabin is that the cargo hold is not as pressurized as the cabin, so there tends to be a compounding effect on the drop in blood pressure. That's why it's even more dangerous for a pet in cargo to be sedated.

Quote:
Like me, I am assume you are vegitarin.
You betcha!! Both hubby and I are. There's a fantastic book you might be interested in by the founder (Gene Baur) of the Farm Sanctuary in the U.S., called: Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food. I wish I could get my non-vegetarian friends and family to read it but it seems most people would rather close their eyes to the institutionalized suffering of food animals.

Quote:
Any good veggie quick recipes you wanna share. Expecially sandwiches, if you got some.
Gotta go do some stuff, but I'll pm you later!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaG View Post
what is you expertise on blood pressure. My vet did not mentioned this.
I recommend on getting a second opinion. Most vets are against sedating.

ACO22
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks SGM. I will be reading the book that you recommended. And I have to agree with you on people's "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. I have family members that are always like "don't tell me about". It is frustating.

There is a quote that I love.

If slaughterhouses had glass windows, everyone would be Vegtarin.

ACO22
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She will be traveling as carry on and will meow non stop if not sedated. That can't be good for health either.
Here's my take on the meowing thing: there are frequently human babies on flights that cry at a considerably louder and more annoying degree than any cat could, and we certainly don't expect them to have to be sedated. Drugs are very hard on cats. Meowing may at most cause a raspy throat. Not exactly life-threatening.

Quote:
what is you expertise on blood pressure. My vet did not mentioned this.
From this website: http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/mon...ineMaleate.asp
Quote:
Acepromazine is one of the most commonly used tranquilizers for cats and dogs. It decreases anxiety, causes central nervous system depression, and a drop in blood pressure and heart rate.

Some veterinarians are reluctant to prescribe acepromazine for travel anxiety when the animal may be exposed to temperature extremes, such as during plane travel, or when there may be limited access to veterinary care. Other drugs used for travel anxiety/motion sickness include meclizine, diphenhydramine, and diazepam. Occasionally, animals (particularly cats) may have a paradoxical response to acepromazine and become excited, or aggressive.
Here's a previous post of mine regarding the use of Valium (diazepam) in cats for travel purposes: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ium#post691932

Some less noxious things you can try would be to completely cover the carrier with a towel, some calming flower essences like Rescue Remedy or Australian Bush Flower Emergency Essence or Travel Essence, or some Feliway pheromone spray. If she's really loud, bring some packages of earplugs for your seat-mates.

Old November 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
If she's really loud, bring some packages of earplugs for your seat-mates.
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM

If it's just the noise you're concerned about, why not put the cat in the cargo hold, without sedation?
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Some airlines will not take live cargo that are sedated due to cabin pressure and temperature.