Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Doggie morning sickness?

So, I think my little dachshund, Mollie, might be pregnant! She just stopped heat last week, and as hard as I worked at keeping our male dog away from her I think I missed something!
Anyway, yesterday she started acting lazy and not her usual peppy self. and vomiting, she did finally eat yesterday but today not so much, but she will drink water.
I just want to know if dogs do experience morning sickness type symptoms.
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Im no expert but I dont think dogs experience morning sickness.
Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason that you dont think your dog need to see a vet?
They can do the spay next week and put your, im sure already worried, mind at ease. That way no risk of emergency C-section or any other potential pregnancy risks. ( and yes, there are quite a few risks)
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.H81 View Post
So, I think my little dachshund, Mollie, might be pregnant! She just stopped heat last week, and as hard as I worked at keeping our male dog away from her I think I missed something!
Anyway, yesterday she started acting lazy and not her usual peppy self. and vomiting, she did finally eat yesterday but today not so much, but she will drink water.
It is possible that she has two, separate conditions which happen to be occurring at the same time. Progressive lethargy, lack of appetite and decreasing thirst could be symptoms of alot of things; heat stroke, bacterial infection, bloat to name a few.

I think either way seeing a Vet is a good idea.
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:29 PM

I agree with erykah - your dog needs to see a vet. I'm sure they would be more than happy to schedule you an appointment to have her spayed while you are there.
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Seeing vet today

First, let me say that I never indidcated that I wasn't taking Mollie to the vet, she is going today. I was just curious about the morning sickness and thought I would ask.
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I've not ever had a dog with morning sickness... I would tend to think that something else may be going on. As she's only just done her heat, her body would really not be going through much change should she be pregnant.

Just out of curiosity.. if you did not wish her to be bred.. have you not considered neutering the male or are you planning to breed down the road? I just find it so much easier to not have to monitor activities amongst my dogs with regards to pregnancy. And of course, non of mine are champion lines that would warrant breeding... just PB rescues with no lineage to speak of.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Re: Morning Sickness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.H81 View Post

My chocolate lab gets a little under the weather when she is pregnant. But she doesn't vomit - this would raise a red flag for me. Call your veterinarian and ask if there is something you can feed her that is easier on the tummy. My suggestion is an equal mix of boiled lean hamburger and white rice. This is not a substitute for her food, as it not nutritionally complete, so do not feed this straight for more than 48 hours.
I truly think that most animals can go through the same (hormonal, especially) things that humans go through.
Good luck!
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissani View Post
I agree with erykah - your dog needs to see a vet. I'm sure they would be more than happy to schedule you an appointment to have her spayed while you are there.
Excellent idea!
I work at a local pound/vet clinic and I have seen too much for one person in a lifetime...right now I have a registered lab that my son wanted when our pound dog passed, but I have made the decision not to have any other animal other than a rescue animal from now on!
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:58 PM
-

How is Mollie? Did you make an appointment to have her spayed?
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
and as hard as I worked at keeping our male dog away from her I think I missed something!
you think..