Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey RDM, nice to "see" you.
Quote:
I am against breeders who are unethical, who do poor placements and who do not stand behind the dogs they produce. I am against backyard breeders of unregistered unproven dogs. I am against people who purchase or otherwise obtain dogs they have no business owning and then sell, give away or dump those dogs.
Amen. My dog is purebred - maybe BADLY bred, and IRRESPONSIBLY bred, but purebred nonethless. I love this breed, as it has all the traits I was looking for, but I rescued her and would never give a cent to the type of person who bred her.

So yes, I love purebreds (or crosses or mutts or whatever!) but ditto what RDM said!
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy lover
Sorry to go off topic but I haven't seen RDM post in a long time, where have you been hiding? Nice to see you.
Thanks! Remember I said there was no shortage of dogs to rehome? Well, that's what keeps me off the net these days. I am just too busy to do much chatting. Lots of dogs and they just keep coming

I will try to pop in now and then!!

RDM
Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:26 AM

I have had dogs all my life, mostly mix breeds. My beagle mix I had for 17 yrs was the best dog I have ever had. I have two pure bred Chihuahuas right now and 4 mixed breeds. My dobe x and my rottie x look so close to their breed, no one knows what they are mixed with. I rescued both of them. One from a back yard where she was neglected and nearly died, and the other from a local shelter. The mixed breeds seem to have less health issues than the pure breds, although all my dogs are healthy now. I think mix breeds have a tendency to out live purebreds because they are not inner-bred or have defects from back yard breeders bred into them.
I do not agree with any breeding unless it is for pure breds for show or work for their breed until all the homeless dogs have good homes. It is hard for me to search for a pure bred from a breeder when there are too many pure breds and mixed breeds being put down in shelters because they do not have homes. I do agree with adopting from the pure bred rescues. They take in unwanted purebreds and find good homes for them.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:29 AM

Smile I dunno

There are hundreds of breeds of dogs, millions of heinz 57's and even more dog owners, everyone has there own reason for choosing whichever dog they choose, I am just thankful to have my companion, he fits perfectly into my life and i let him choose me!
Old June 2nd, 2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberkitten
stats are a very small portion of academic study! So, if say, a vet school and researcher was actually studying various breeds, there is so much more involved.
Is there a book that describes the methodology involved in scientific research? I'm asking because sometimes conflicting studies are published, or newer studies debunk old ones. How can the layman decide whether to trust the findings presented by the researcher?
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:32 PM

I think to have a discussion like this will just bring out what dog is better then what dog. Purebred better then mutts has alwasy been a argument I've always heard.

Ive grown up with mutts. My new puppy is a mutt. He is part Chow and Sharpai (sp?) and even Beagle even though I see no beagle in him.

Either way, purebread or mutt a dog is a dog. Four legs a tail (most of the time a tail lol) and you have a best friend to enjoy all their lives.

Health reasons I dont take into account. A Purebread has as much of a chance of getting a illness as a mutt.

A mutt has as much of a chance as not having health issues just as purebreds.

A dog is a dog, and everyone should love them purebred or mix.

Just my 2 cents.
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes to purebreds and yes to mixes because I love all dogs but they are not planned like litters of purebreds. But with really reputable breeders they are looking for appearance as well as health. I have seen some very sad mixes because someone thought they would be cool. A breeder will have titles for working as well as show if there dogs are working breeds. They breed for betterment of the breed. Those Cane Corsos are too cute you should see Neopolitan puppies they are just a big wrinkle on legs
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog