Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM

Thumbs up Annual Dry Dog Food Review by Whole Dog Journal

Hi!

I know that we are always looking at which food is best for our dogs and thought that this article would be helpful to some.

http://villagepawsandclaws.com/WDJ_Feb2007.pdf

Enjoy!
ChancesMom
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM

I think that their "top food lists" have really gone downhill in the last few years. There are so many good products to choose from now, and they put mediocre foods like nutro on their lists (in fact their last "top canned food list" had nutro natural choice, which had recalls). I remember reading somewhere (possibly dog food project?) where someone wrote that they used to work on the dog food reviews in wdj, but stopped after they saw the quality declining.

However, I do subscribe to wdj, I think it's worth it for the articles.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM

Hi Sable!

I am sorry to hear that the list has gone downhill over the years.

I did think that the article about how to choose dog food made many valid points and thought that the list would at least be a good starting point for those who were unsure of where to start.

I especially thought it was pertinent (certainly not to the regulars here but perhaps to newbies with questions) that there is a glaring absence of all of the regular grocery store brands that we normally see advertised in the various media.

Take care.
ChancesMom
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM

Oh yes, the brands they list are certainly better than purina/science diet/iams and the store brands. It just bothers me that they act like they are listing "the best of the best".

I do have to say though, because wdj doesn't take any advertising, they rely on subscriptions to turn a profit, and their articles are strictly copyrighted. I know their food lists always end up on the internet, but it's really breaking copyright laws.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:08 PM

Hmm... is it us breaking the law?

Either way, that link was posted before... There's a really good article about yeast there too.

No, it's not the best list, but if people feeding the low end foods see it, it's a step in the right direction...
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM

I think whoever originally posted the article is doing the copyright infringement. We're just looking...and we're not downloading it or anything, so we should be okay.

If you like the articles, I don't think it's too expensive for a subscription, I've subscribed since 2003 I think, and I've really learned a lot from it.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM

I hear you Sable, about the list.... and also agree with Prin that for those feeding low end foods it is a step in the right direction.

As far as the copyright issues go, it is my understanding that the site who re-publishes anything from WDJ can pay a price to use the magazine by article or entirely. Since it seems that it has been online for quite some time I would have to assume that villageclawsandpaws.com have paid that premium or they probably would have been contacted by WDJ. They also have articles on their site regarding the wet food review as well as declawing.

I also read the article about yeast and found it most interesting. While I was aware that coconut oil was good for humans, I had no idea how good it could be for dogs!

Take care.
ChancesMom
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM

I know that organizations can pay a price to get copies of articles to give out to a small number of people...but I don't think they would willingly let someone post it on the web where anyone could see it. I think that would kinda defeat the purpose of having paid subscriptions. In fact in their May 2007 issue, they had a letter from someone who wrote in, angry that they had been told they would have to pay for a back issue to get the top food list, and the person said it was ridiculous, and they eventually found the info posted online for free anyway. WDJ replied that because they don't take ads, they have to rely on subscriptions, and that they consider their "expert analysis" of foods to be a service that people have to pay for through subscriptions. So I doubt they know that site is scanning their issues and putting them up for everyone to see.

They've had a couple articles on the wonder of coconut oil, after reading them, I'm about ready to put my dog and myself on it! I just have to find some first!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:45 PM

I save my back issues because I keep on referring back to them. They have great articles on senior dog care too!!! LOL I sound like an ad.
I like the WDJ because you know they don't have any conflict of interest from advertisers!!! Credibility!!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM

Which issue had the articles on coconut oil?

I am thinking of subscribing myself and would be interested in that issue...

As far as copyright, you may be right... I did see a statement at this site:

http://www.oes.org/page2/1342~Dog_Fo...g_Journal.html

that says:

Quote:
Whole Dog Journal wants a fee of $350 per year from oes.org for permission to reprint their 2007 version of this Whole Dog food list on the web, a fee that oes.org can not afford to pay. Alternatively, Whole Dog Journal wants oes.org not to publish any (not even a snippet) of the article, but to recommmend our readers visit their site so that each reader can pay $10 to read the article on their website (or perhaps to sign up for a subscription to the Whole Dog Journal for $20 per year).
I don't know how accurate it is... and although I do agree with WDJ on recouping at least some of their money from a reprinted article, I also feel that a sample issue would prompt more people to purchase a subscription, as I plan to.

$20 is certainly a small price to pay for so much valuable information!

Take care.
ChancesMom
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:01 PM

You can get coconut oil at health food stores. I give it to my two (and my fosters). I think it works.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Which issue had the articles on coconut oil?
October 2005. "Crazy About Coconut Oil". That issue also has articles on puppy mouthing, digestive enzyme therapy, growling, developing good communication with your vet, and joint health.

Quote:
You can get coconut oil at health food stores.
I've looked at whole foods, which is the closest health food store, and I haven't seen it, but then the store is so big, and the employees are always a bit on the scary side so I haven't asked. Next time I go I'll find someone non-scary and ask if they have it.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:28 PM

The original you posted has it too, in the article about yeast issues (I think it's page 12?).
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM

That article does talk a bit about coconut oil, but the original article has more info (4 pages) specifically on coconut oil, and the things it can be used for, the dosages, etc.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM

ahh... cool. Most of us here who use it just wing it.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:57 PM

You can use it topically too on wounds, cuts, sores, dry paws....it really sounds great.

The oral dosage is 1 tsp per 10 lbs or 1 Tbs per 30 lbs, but you have to start with a small dosage and work your way up. But shhh, I didn't tell you that.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:04 PM

LOL! I'm giving about 1 tsp each- 60lbs and 90lbs (and 142lbs and 155ish lbs...).
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:00 AM
<-- Rayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableCollie View Post
Oh yes, the brands they list are certainly better than purina/science diet/iams and the store brands. It just bothers me that they act like they are listing "the best of the best".

I am switching my pets from Purina ONE to Innova EVO ... is this one of the best? If not what is the best of the best. After the recall everything scares me, I trust EVO as I've done a lot of research on the ingredients in a bunch of different foods and now don't want anything unless I know what the ingredient is and what it does. But if there is something healthier out their besides feeding raw, what would you suggest? Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

There is no "best" when talking food. You may find a "best" for your dog, isnt the "best" for mine. Evo is top quality food, and MUCH MUCH MUCH better then any purina product!

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM

Thanks for posting that. Nobody around here sells it.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I'm giving about 1 tsp each- 60lbs and 90lbs (and 142lbs and 155ish lbs...)
I think you can safely up the dosage!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM

Sable,

Thank you for the info on which issue the coconut oil article is in!

Also good all around info.