Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:35 AM
Mom to 2 furbabies

New here, I'm glad to have found you!

I have two dogs, both terrier mixes. One is Dixie and we've had her for over a year. She's 6 yrs old and weights 32 lbs. She's more low energy (which we looked for since we're an older couple and didn't want a dog who would drag us off our feet, lol) and a real sweetheart.

We just got a second dog (from the same no-kill shelter) who is also a terrier mix, but her mix is different from Dixie's - her body type/shape is different. She's a little more energetic but she's smaller - only 23 lbs. at 4 years old. I don't see any Jack Russel in her build, but she can leap like she has springs on her feet, lol. Her name is Zephra because she runs (and leaps) like the wind.

Both dogs understand the basic commands to sit, lay down, stay, shake, etc. When I let them out (we have a big fenced in back yard) I have them sit and stay while I open the door and then open the door on the sunporch. They both do this very well. (They both also sit and wait very well when I feed them)

I'm having a problem with Zephra peeing in the house though. I let them out every 2.5 - 3 hours (I'm retired, so usually home), but on occasion (maybe every 2 or 3 days) she will wet on the carpet somewhere.
She is a little anxious and will pace at times so it's hard to know when she needs to go out. She doesn't go to the door, or whine or scratch, or anything that gives me a good idea she wants to go out. They both sleep with us and both sleep through the night with no need to go out and no accidents.

I read on a vet's advice page to use a leash on an anxious dog so tried that and Zephra seems to actually like having the leash on. She will sit or lay down calmly while its on instead of pacing. But I can't have it on her all the time (like when I'm cooking or cleaning house)

We fostered her for two weeks before adopting (to make sure she and Dixie were happy together) and the vet at the shelter's vet clinic said she's healthy .

We'll take her to our own vet as soon as we get the papers from the shelter.

Any suggestions for getting her to let me know when she needs to go instead of pottying in the house? She never poops inside, only pee. Dixie doesn't pee inside so there's no "smell" spots.

Thanks
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:13 AM

Welcome Meenie!
I am new here as well and have experienced a similar issue with my 6lb Papillon.
The only success I have had is to be super vigilante with her. I would suggest you treat Zephra as if she is a puppy for the next 6 months and put her outside every couple of hours. When you leave her alone I would place her in her crate or bring her with you even if it is just to another room for 2 minutes. I know it is a bit challenging but it is worth it to stop the inappropriate toileting. My dog has never had an accident in front of me so I have never been able to address the problem other than to be "on the scene" at all times. Mine also sleeps through the night (8 hrs) without needing "to go" but the minute she is out of her crate and running around the house there would be an accident if I did not invite her to go outside. She will not ask to go out but will follow my other dog outside everytime he ask so to go out. Good luck with Zephra.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome, Meenie! I think Lynne&Co.'s advice is great! We had to do similar training with one of ours when we adopted her--she'd been a kennel dog most of her life and had no concept of house-training. So we started as we would with a puppy, and when she couldn't be tethered to one of us, we used crating.

Oh, and on a totally unrelated note, I gotta warn you--we're gonna hound you for pics of your furbabies, so I hope you have a few on hand to share with us! (We're photo addicts! )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:55 PM
Mom to 2 furbabies

Thanks guys!!
We aren't crating her - the big issue she was having at the shelter was being crated. She hated it and went crazy in the crate. You would have thought she was a ferocious wolf if you'd seen her in it!! But the minute she was taken out, she became a different animal. She was having such an issue with it they were pleading with someone to just foster her for awhile because she was "crate crazy".
But I do either shut the door to whatever room I'm in with her in it with me, or put her on a leash to keep her near me. She never pees in front of me. So it's only random times when she's off the leash that it happens.
I think I'll try teaching her to ring a bell at the door. Think that'll work?
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I was going to suggest training her to ring a bell . I was thinking of getting a dog that was trained to ring a bell , my sister knew a woman that had a dogs trained to do that. There was only one big problem I am hard of hearing and would had needed a real big bell. And Hi.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:08 PM
Mom to 2 furbabies

It's great to meet all of you
Barkingdog - it would be a problem if you're hearing impaired!

Here's some pics of my two furry girls - Click here for Dixie and Zephra!
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, Dixie and Zephra are beautiful girls!!

I know people who have had great success with bells at the door as a signal. Certainly something to try!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meenie View Post
It's great to meet all of you
Barkingdog - it would be a problem if you're hearing impaired!

Here's some pics of my two furry girls - Click here for Dixie and Zephra!
Yeah I would need the liberty bell to be able to hear it. LOL! When dog Marty has to pee really bad and if I am the living room he will sit in front of the door to let me know he needs to go out and some time he will jump up and down at the door and say " I gotta pee really bad!"
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow they are both adorable and bless you for rescuing. I would try tethering her to you while you cook and clean. Get a long enough leash that you can tie it around your waist and just let her follow you. You go, she goes. You could also try buying an x-pen to keep her confined in one area when you can't supervise her - more open and spacious than a crate. Good luck to you, she'll get the hang of it in no time I'm sure.
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Mom to 2 furbabies

Barkingdog - the liberty bell! I wish Zephra would go to the door and stand there... hopefully she'll get the hang of it soon.

Dog Dancer - the biggest problem is that it's so cold and snowy out. Once Spring gets here, they can stay out longer and I can clean with them outside I do use a leash on Zephra but If I did that when I run the vacuum... well, I don't know who'd be leading who, haha, plus she'd probably pee in front of me then, lol.

Hazelrunpack - I hope she'll take to the bell!!

I often wonder what their lives were like before they ended up in the shelter.
Dixie is SO well-behaved and understands so many tricks! She heels well on the leash, and follows all commands. I wonder how she wound up at a shelter - they said she was a surrender! She has no behavioral problems at all. I wonder if she misses her previous owner.

Zephra is sweet, very bouncy also knows commands though she finds it hard to hold "stay" sometimes, lol. She gets a little exuberant. And she has this peeing issue - but it's not all the time - If you watch really close you'll see she gets more antsy, she just doesn't seem to know how to tell you she has to go out. She'll train me eventually
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Mom to 2 furbabies

OH and does anyone know where to find a dog jacket (the kind with velcro) that actually fits? I have a nice coat for Dixie but it hangs off of Zephra even though they're almost the same length. Dixie is a chunkier dog, Zephra is thin - like a greyhound almost.
Dixie's coat is Large and it's ALMOST too big in the velcro adjustment around her tummy and neck, but it works. On Zephra it just hangs. But I had a medium sweater that was too tight for Dixie and it's practically impossible to get Zephra's front legs through the holes and it's not long enough at all <sigh> all these jackets and coats seem to just measure from neck to tail without taking into consideration the girth of the dog at all.
I'm not one to dress dogs in cutesy stuff, but in the snow and rain here, it's good to put a jacket on so they don't get drenched when they go out.

Here's Dixie in her coat
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Here's Zephra in Dixie's old medium sweater - you can see its a bit too small, look at the neck and the length - plus she hates it cause you have to stuff her legs through
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:08 PM

Dixie and Zephra look way cute in their fashion wear!
Most pet stores should carry clothing. RC Pets brand is a good dog coat but they are a bit pricey. Our local Tack Shop carries dog sized coats modelled after the coats they use on horses. They are heavier and more water resistant and cheaper. If you have Winners where you are they usually have a pet section too. There is also a vast amount of retailers online if you google pet clothing. Happy Shopping
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Mom to 2 furbabies

Thanks Lynne&Co,
The problem is their sizes are so iffy. for Dixie the coat she's wearing is a large! The sweater is a medium that Zephra has on. These aren't large dogs. I'd think of a lab as a large dog. The medium sweater that should have fit, is too tight on Dixie and too short on Zephra. (Plus Zephra hates to have to put her legs through the holes )
The large coat that Dixie is wearing is WAAAAY too big for Zephra.

I was hoping to find a company that has sizes that reflect the actual size of the dog, including around their neck and around their chest - not just collar to tail length
Old March 4th, 2014, 06:45 PM

I understand what you mean about sizing. It is really a crapshoot when sizing as some stores carry from xxxsmall to xxxlarge. My male weim is the size of a small female (56lbs). I secretly think he suffers from small man syndrome He wears an x-large RC Pets coat and a medium Horse style. It would be a good idea to take your dogs in for a fitting if you can. The online places usually size by measurements (neck to base of tail, girth around chest, etc.)
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome. Your two rescue dogs are beautiful.
Old March 6th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Meenie, when I got my two Malamute puppies they were afraid of the vacuum, but we overcame that by giving them treats while vacuuming. They are very food motivated. Got to the point I had to move them outside while I cleaned because they were hounding for treats when the vacuum ran. Started with treats while it was off. Then a treat when it was on but not moving. Then a treat while I was vacuuming. Fear of the vacuum is fixable!