Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet encyclopedia - Dog - cat - pet encyclopedia

Old November 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Vomiting in cats

If your cat is vomiting in an unusual fashion and looks or acts ill please take him/her to the vet ASAP.

One of my 2 cats vomits regularly. When I say regularly I mean on average 2-3 times a week. Ziglet usually vomits his food and when I have asked the vet about this in the past, he has suggested that it's because he eats too fast. But aside from the vomiting, his behavior is normal. He does not do anything unsual for his character. Had he vomited continuously or started exhibiting behaviour that is out of character (like hiding in places he normally doesn't frequent, or lying down in a way that is unusual for him), I would have called my vet immediately or brought him to an emergency vet.

My other cat Zak has had some extremely serious problems in the past that involved vomiting. During 3 episodes in particular he vomited about 5 times in a row - so that there was no food left to vomit. He just vomited stomach acids after that. He looked and acted unusual and exhibited this primarily by lying in an area that he never lies in and staying way too still for his character. He continued to purr the whole time I was checking him out because I was already suspicious. After an hour or two there was no change and he still kept vomiting so i brought him to our vet. The vet said he was dehydrated and took x-rays which showed that he has a bowel obstruction. He needed surgery to remove a bird's neck from intestine. Had we not done the surgery the vet said he would have surely died. This EXACT phenomenon happed 3 times but with a bird's head and part of a mouse obstructing his bowel the other 2 times. Zak is now an indoor cat and has been for about 7 years. I did not have pet insurance at the time, but you can bet that I do now.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I too have come to know the different types of vomiting. My female cat Finn is the vomiter in our house, she sometimes eats too fast and up comes her dinner, this happens infrequently and is only a singular occurance when she does it. But one time after her annual check up with vaccinations, she began to act strangely and an hour after bringing her home she began to vomit, in the hour after that she vomited about 4 or 5 times, mostly stomach acid. She was also straining to make a bowel movement in the litterbox. So we rushed her to the emergency vet clinic and they checked her over and concluded that she had taken a reaction to her vaccinations that afternoon.

I think the tip off that something is wrong is when there are multiple vomit episodes in a very short time or any unusual vomiting that is not normal for your cat. Our other cat Angus has never vomited, never even a furball, so if he was to vomit we would definitely not hesitate to bring him to the vet to be checked over.

Sidenote: Finn is very considerate when she vomits, she only does it on hard floors, never on the carpeting. Good kitty.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old June 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Lightbulb volmiting

whould any of you say that if a cats is vomiting the past month and a severe weight loss and has bumbs all over her that it is cancer? The vet said so but it come on so fast one week she was 8 pounds and the next 6 she eats a little but drinks a lot , yes i am giving her thyroid pills. the biopsy of the one big bump was sent to univ. of Penn so I guess they would know just wondering if anyone has heard of this, I guess I'm hoping for a different outcome but I think I'm fooling myself thanks for listening gail:confused
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I personally believe that the cat should visit the vets. We all could make assumptions and they all sound great.. Although its about the cats best interested..Get er to the vets..mpo