Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 15th, 2014, 01:32 AM

Increase in Aggression

I have had my dog Brady for about a year and he is roughly two years old, the vet guesses he is a mix of a lab/Weimaraner/beagle. I have only seen him bark and growl at one person and that was a cable repair man who came into the house unannounced. Recently my land lord came to show the house to new tenants with out warning, when she tried to enter my room while I was asleep (thankfully the door was locked) Brady got very aggressive barking and growling until I got him in his kennel and let him know everything was ok. After that incident he had gotten very protective barking when someone enters or leaves the house when he can't see them, barking and growling (no bearing of teeth or hair standing with these growls) when someone knocks on the front door or is outside my bedroom that he can't see, he also has started to bark at random people walking down the street (which I have nerve seen him do). We also had one incident when a local homeless woman came into our yard to try and pet my roommates new puppy, Brady ran across the yard growling and hair up. I am just curious as to why he could be having these sudden burst of aggression and if this is a behavior I need to be concerned about and correct immediately. I don't live in the safest area so I like that I have him to be alert but I don't want him to ever be in a situation to bite and innocent bystander. He has never bitten anyone and relaxes as soon as I tell him to calm down and it's ok.
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:24 AM

It sounds like Brady is now on alert and reacting appropriately when a stranger is entering your home. He is trying to protect you from these strangers which is a good thing. You definitely need Brady's protection if you have repairmen and landlords entering your home without proper notice! Does he stop barking/growling when you call him off? If he takes over and ignores your commands then you are right to be concerned. Have you done obedience training with him? Is he neutered or intact?
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I would consult a trainer to make sure you have control over his protection abilities. I also wonder if the landlord is entering your apartment more than you are aware? It's very comforting if he is protecting his space. Dogs in their pack will bark to alert the others when someone is approaching. A dog trainer once told me that 2 is the age when behaviours come out.
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:25 AM

I agree with you guys. This is defiantly a territorial behavior. He is just trying to protect you and his home. You have to show him that it's okay if he alerts but that YOU have the situation under control and when YOU tell him to stop he will. My dogs do the same thing so I say "okay, good job" to let them know they did well then tell them to back off while I open the door. Enrolling in a basic I=obedience class would probably be good too.
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:27 AM

He is neutered and does stop when I call for him. We have not done any official training classes but rather in home training which he has always responded well too. He had always been ok with the repairmen entering the house yet they always knock, the landlords since showing the property do come in often and when I am not home. He also doesn't bark or grumble at everyone who comes by, he more or less picks and chooses who he doesn't like walking by.
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

If your landlord came into your home without calling you first she violated your rights as a tenant. You should look up tenant rights for your city and see what they're. Your dog was not being aggressive it was protecting you
and that is a good thing. A landlord can't just walk into a tenant apartment in my city unless there is an emergency like a busted water pipe when happen to me.
Old April 15th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Not to rock the boat or cause trouble, but it's possible the landlord is not being nice to your dog if he comes in when you are not home and the dog is growling at him. I have always trusted my dogs instincts about people. I would be very cautious about this, and ask the landlord to pre-arrange any showings when possible so you could kennel your pup. Yes 2 years old is the age they tend to start protecting their pack.
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Not to rock the boat or cause trouble, but it's possible the landlord is not being nice to your dog if he comes in when you are not home and the dog is growling at him. I have always trusted my dogs instincts about people. I would be very cautious about this, and ask the landlord to pre-arrange any showings when possible so you could kennel your pup. Yes 2 years old is the age they tend to start protecting their pack.
I was going to add to my comment that this might a case where the dog is being a 'good' dog and landlord is the 'bad' one. So I am going help you rock the boat and make waves. I am not sure what kind of rights tenants there are where the OP live but when I was looking at condo to buy the landlord who was also the seller would not let me into her tenant's apartment b/c she was not able to reach him and notified him about going into his apartments .
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:17 PM

Our landlord does notify us 24-48 hours prior but gives a time range as 10-6 rather than an exact time. I am rarely home when the landlord shows the property so I do not know how he acts when she is showing the house with out me. It was the fact that he had been extremely protective and clingy since the incident that I was worried about his behavior and that it may escalate. Our vet said this is normal for his age but to be aware if he doesn't listen to me when I calm him down or pull him back. I appreciate all of the feedback and concern!
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Agree with all above and want to emphasize the value of obedience work. Group classes will teach you how to gain his attention in distracting situations. Such as people walking by on the street.

Your dog is acting normally and appropriately for a dog. Be fair to your dog and don't let him be exposed to such approaches when you are not with him. Can you have a friendly neighbour he knows be there with him when strangers enter? Or could they put him in a crate or another room then let him back out? His behaviour is not fair to repair men who have a job to do.

Tags
aggression, behavioral changes