Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old October 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Owned by Saints

Bone shards and mystery globs in Felidae canned.

I have been feeding Felidae canned as a main diet to my 2 adult cats and 2 kittens for quite some time. Both the chicken and rice and the chicken, turkey, lamb and fish.

I've been finding tiny bones pieces in the food (mainly in the 4 protein formula) but lately these 'pieces' are getting bigger. They look to me like cooked chicken bones. I'll attach a pic so you all can see what I mean...

Plus I've been finding hard globs of what seems like cartilage.. sometimes all throughout the can or stuck to the bottom. Whatever it is none of the cats will eat it.. it has a rotten fishy smell to it. The expiry date on these cans is 2013.. so I know they are not old.

I'm switching my CRF kitty over to Wellness and everyone else to EVO 95% canned.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those who feed Felidae canned. Something is not right with their quality control. I google searched and found posts dating back to 2007 with the same problems they apparently never bothered to fix.
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Owned by Saints

Trying the pic again.. it didn't attach the first time. Also here's the link for the same issue from 2007. http://thepetfoodlist.com/forums/index.php?topic=14.0
Attached Images

Last edited by RaYne; October 14th, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYne View Post
I have been feeding Felidae canned as a main diet to my 2 adult cats and 2 kittens for quite some time. Both the chicken and rice and the chicken, turkey, lamb and fish.

I've been finding tiny bones pieces in the food (mainly in the 4 protein formula) but lately these 'pieces' are getting bigger. They look to me like cooked chicken bones. I'll attach a pic so you all can see what I mean...

Plus I've been finding hard globs of what seems like cartilage.. sometimes all throughout the can or stuck to the bottom. Whatever it is none of the cats will eat it.. it has a rotten fishy smell to it. The expiry date on these cans is 2013.. so I know they are not old.

I'm switching my CRF kitty over to Wellness and everyone else to EVO 95% canned.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those who feed Felidae canned. Something is not right with their quality control. I google searched and found posts dating back to 2007 with the same problems they apparently never bothered to fix.
I came across that too when Sweet Pea was eating Felidae, I just threw out the pieces. She did do very well on it while she was nursing 7 kittens, mind you she was being supplemented with raw and cooked meat.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I haven't fed Felidae in quite a while so can't comment on that, but I have had issues in the past with the quality control of canned Evanger's. Way way back when I would occasionally give my cat some canned Medi-cal kitten, I found a big chunk of blue plastic inside once. Stopped buying it after that. You could try emailing Felidae and what they say, although they'll probably just send you coupons for more of their food or something.

Quote:
If you can find some Evo 95% venison or beef, these have nice lowish phosphorus levels (lower than Wellness) and would be well suited to your CRF kitty as well.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Owned by Saints

I too was picking out the bones pieces but I'm sure I wasn't getting them all.

But within the past couple weeks all 4 of my cats have tiny amounts of blood in their poop. I took in stool samples last week and everyone is parasite free. My vet asked what I was feeding them.. and I can't help but wonder if there is any relation to the bone shards and mystery globs of god knows what.

In any case I will no longer be buying it.... I'm not comfortable feeding it anymore. I shouldn't have to pick through their food before offering it to my cats. It ticked me off even more when I found that link concerning the bones in their canned food from June/07. They obviously never attempted to fix the problem. Sending me coupons for free food isn't going to remove the bones from their food.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Owned by Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I haven't fed Felidae in quite a while so can't comment on that, but I have had issues in the past with the quality control of canned Evanger's. Way way back when I would occasionally give my cat some canned Medi-cal kitten, I found a big chunk of blue plastic inside once. Stopped buying it after that. You could try emailing Felidae and what they say, although they'll probably just send you coupons for more of their food or something.

If you can find some Evo 95% venison or beef, these have nice lowish phosphorus levels (lower than Wellness) and would be well suited to your CRF kitty as well.
I was typing when you posted.. but Yup.. they did.. Coupons. LOL Thanks but no thanks...

Ohhh thanks for the info on the phos levels in the EVO. I thought they were all too high. Looks like everyone is going on EVO. Thanks!

Last edited by RaYne; October 14th, 2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: I can't spell.. lol
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I stopped feeding her Felidae when she weaned her kittens and now she eats Instinct and Organics.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was typing when you posted.. but Yup.. they did.. Coupons. LOL Thanks but no thanks...
Hilarious! Ya, that's what I figured.

Quote:
Ohhh thanks for the info on the phos levels in the EVO. I thought they were all too high. Looks like everyone is going on EVO. Thanks!
Just stay away from the Evo Cat & Kitten, that's the one with way high phosphorus.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Owned by Saints

Oh go figure.... My mother was going to pay some bills so I asked her to stop and pick up some EVO for me. The closest place I can get it is Brantford. So I wrote down EXACTLY what I wanted.. (2 cans of 95% meat chicken/turkey and 1 can of 95% beef and 1 can of 95% Venison for Fido) and the lady working gave her 4 cans of EVO cat and kitten formula. Ummmm so not what I wanted.

How high is the phosphorus in that formula? On their website it say .36% http://www.evopet.com/products/defau...nel=na&id=1501

The store I usually get my pet food at closed at 4pm. So I can't go and get anything different for Fido now. Louie, Demon and Lucy can eat the cat and kitten so it won't go to waste but... geez.

Next time I'm going to get it myself.
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
How high is the phosphorus in that formula?
It's 440 mg per 100 calories. As a comparison, the Evo 95% venison is 146 mg/100 cal and the 95% beef is 171. With CRF, I believe you want to keep it under about 240 mg, under 200 is even better. 240mg/100 cal is roughly equivalent to 1% dry weight (the info on the Natura website is a wet weight value). Here's a link for you with lots of other brands/flavours to compare: http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/CanFoodNew.html

Last edited by sugarcatmom; October 14th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:03 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Just stay away from the Evo Cat & Kitten, that's the one with way high phosphorus.
Is that any big deal for health cats with no issues at all? Been feeding the chicken & turkey cat+kitten food for everrrr and it's their main diet. I really have no plans to switch them off it. It says 'cat and kitten' afterall, and that's what I'm feeding

just curious... not trying to hijack RaYnes thread LOL.

But those chunks of bone look awfully big! BUT I do not know what kind of coin you are comparing it to. For all I know you could be comparing them to a coin the size of a US nickel.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Slave to Tonks

Wow! My kittens turned their noses up to it. Won't touch the stuff.
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Is that any big deal for health cats with no issues at all? Been feeding the chicken & turkey cat+kitten food for everrrr and it's their main diet. I really have no plans to switch them off it. It says 'cat and kitten' afterall, and that's what I'm feeding
Honestly, I wouldn't feed it exclusively, even to healthy young cats. But then I don't believe in feeding any one food exclusively. I think it's important to have variety, both nutritionally speaking, and to prevent cats from getting addicted to just the one food. If the Evo Cat & Kitten becomes the only thing they'll eat, you've got a problem if you ever have to switch to something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
But those chunks of bone look awfully big! BUT I do not know what kind of coin you are comparing it to. For all I know you could be comparing them to a coin the size of a US nickel.
It's a Canadian penny, pretty much the same size as a U.S. one.

Old October 15th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Owned by Saints

LOL kathryn, I was going to ask the same thing... I had originally planned on feeding just the 95% meat cans, but since they like the cat-kitten formula I figured I'd rotate it in periodically.

Louie and Demon also get a small amount of dry for snacking in between meals. So I bought some dry EVO for them. I would never feed any dry food to Fido.. or Lucy since they share bowls.. but the kittens are healthy and hooked on dry food. If I take it completely away they go nutty. LOL So I found a happy medium with them. I put like 8-10 kibbles in their canned food and they are happy. LOL

Anyway to solve my dilemma on what to feed Fido for supper yesterday. I gave him some raw ground turkey. Everyone else got the EVO cat-kitten. I'm going to get some Wellness turkey for now until I can make it back to Brantford for more EVO and get the right stuff.
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
chronically insane.

I don't feed it exclusively, I mix it with other flavors of things like Merrick, Wellness or some scrambled eggs and stuff like that. It's cheap though so I use it to thin out the expensive flavorful things.

People seem to have lots of issues with what their pets eat. I've never had any problems. I switch them between things all the time. The only time I had a problem was when we ran out of EVERYTHING for whatever reason, and my mom just threw some Meow Mix dry in the bowl. Everyone was throwing up orange dye for a few days but I got them their regular food back and then they were all better.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
In any case I will no longer be buying it.... I'm not comfortable feeding it anymore. I shouldn't have to pick through their food before offering it to my cats. It ticked me off even more when I found that link concerning the bones in their canned food from June/07. They obviously never attempted to fix the problem. Sending me coupons for free food isn't going to remove the bones from their food.
Which is exactly what you should tell them when you write to let them know you are unhappy with their product and will not be buying it any more. Furthermore, you should be telling them you are speaking to all of your pet owning friends to pass the word around. Hit them where it hurts the most... the pocketbook. It has been proven word of mouth is the best way to either make a business a hit or a huge flop.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!