Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old June 13th, 2012, 10:51 AM

New kitten entering home

Hello everyone!*

I have a question for all of you, because you know so much more about cats than I as a collective.

So here it is: I'm planning on getting a kitten of 8 weeks this weekend, but my parents are giving me scuff about some stuff I wanna clear up here. The kitten hasn't had any of it's beginning shots yet, which I plan to do the day after Sunday, and they feel that getting a kitten of that age would be a threat to our current older cat of about 11-12 years and make her sick. The kitten would be quarantined in my room on Sunday and only leave to get its first round of shots on Monday. So I ask you, what kind of threats does an 8 week old kitten pose to an older cat? The older one has had all vaccines when she was young and just doesn't have the updated rabies. Is there anything that can endanger her or make her sick without direct contact to the kitten?

Thanks so much!
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevicar View Post
Hello everyone!*

I have a question for all of you, because you know so much more about cats than I as a collective.

So here it is: I'm planning on getting a kitten of 8 weeks this weekend, but my parents are giving me scuff about some stuff I wanna clear up here. The kitten hasn't had any of it's beginning shots yet, which I plan to do the day after Sunday, and they feel that getting a kitten of that age would be a threat to our current older cat of about 11-12 years and make her sick. The kitten would be quarantined in my room on Sunday and only leave to get its first round of shots on Monday. So I ask you, what kind of threats does an 8 week old kitten pose to an older cat? The older one has had all vaccines when she was young and just doesn't have the updated rabies. Is there anything that can endanger her or make her sick without direct contact to the kitten?

Thanks so much!
Has the kitten been treated for worms yet? Where is the kitten coming from , a shelter, off the street , or a pet store? It really depend where you're getting the kitten from , do know the history on the kitten? It would help to know as much about the kitten so you will know if it does needs to be treated for worms . That is the only thing I would be worried about if the cat has not been living on the streets. You should ask the vet this question . I think the worst thing that could happen to your older cat is it might not get as many cat naps with a kitten around.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:18 AM

From what I have heard the kittens were born in a shoebox in the ladies apartment, not outside, so they have been indoor cats the entire time. I don't think they have been treated for worms yet though, but again that would be the first thing I did on Monday.

What I've been considering is just going to ice the kitten up Monday and taking it straight to the vet and getting all the required shots and whatever else it may need. Is that the best approach? Would that ensure that my older cat Sierra stays healthy?
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
From what I have heard the kittens were born in a shoebox in the ladies apartment, not outside, so they have been indoor cats the entire time. I don't think they have been treated for worms yet though, but again that would be the first thing I did on Monday.

What I've been considering is just going to ice the kitten up Monday and taking it straight to the vet and getting all the required shots and whatever else it may need. Is that the best approach? Would that ensure that my older cat Sierra stays healthy?
What does ice the kitten up means? I can only picture the poor kitten sitting on ice cubes! I think you should ask the vet if they think the kitten is a health risk to your older cat. I think as long as the kitten is healthy and you keep it updated with it shots and it should not be a risk to older cat. I know of people that keep at least one kitten from their cat litter and the mother is fine and never get sick from the kitten.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Damn you auto correct! Making me spell ice instead of pick.

Thanks a lot for the info! I appreciate it, and think I'll do just that.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Damn you auto correct! Making me spell ice instead of pick.

Thanks a lot for the info! I appreciate it, and think I'll do just that.
LOL!! I hate when that happen , I have to use spell check a lot and if I am not careful I will click on the wrong word. I am glad we got that cleared up, I thought 'ice' was a short hand for other words.
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:37 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Funny no one is worried about the older cat giving the kitten anything.

A couple of years ago I wrote a bit about transitioning a cat/kitten to it's new home. Maybe some of it may help.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68501

It is imperative you keep the kitten separated from other pets in your home until it has been health checked for all of their sakes. Kitten should have been dewormed at 6 to 8 weeks and again two weeks later before going to it's new home. It also should have had it's first shots. I love the fact that you will be taking the kitten to the vets immediately. Just try not to cause too much undo stress. Sometimes hard to do when kitten is leaving the only home it's known in it's short life. While at the vet please talk about the proper time to spay/neuter the kitten.

After coming home from the vet please ensure you do proper intros with the cats. A slow, gradual introduction doing smells only for the first few days and then slowly allowing sight, contact, etc., will make for success I'm sure.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Awesome, you guys just answered all my questions! Thanks a lot!