Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Remembering Lukka

Adriann, I have followed this thread since you started it and I am so glad the Horton seems to be responding to the meds.
My Christmas wish for Horton is that he continues on this path of healing and enjoys a very long and happy seizure free life.
Have a very Merry Christmas Horton
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Adriann, I have followed this thread since you started it and I am so glad the Horton seems to be responding to the meds.
My Christmas wish for Horton is that he continues on this path of healing and enjoys a very long and happy seizure free life.
Have a very Merry Christmas Horton

Horton wishes you a merry christmas and sends lots of puppy kisses for all the prayers and !!!
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Talking Horton's Update

Horton has been seizure free for almost 36 hours now!!!! Thank God! WE are so happy and so appreciative of all your support!! Horton sends you all lots of wet puppy kisses!!!!!!
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Adriann27 like Lukka'sma i've been following along and i'm sooooo happy to hear Horton is doing so well, prayers from out house that he keeps improving oh and he is soooooo cute.
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Wow you sure seem to have found a great vet. Were you already using them for the cats? You go Horton, keep up the good fight!
No, I had a different Vet for them, I just recently moved to a new city in SC, so I'm glad I've already found a great vet!!
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriann27 View Post
Horton has been seizure free for almost 36 hours now!!!! Thank God! WE are so happy and so appreciative of all your support!! Horton sends you all lots of wet puppy kisses!!!!!!
WAHOO

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Lukka'sma, how sweet of you to send a Christmas Card.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So you do know you are going to be bombarded with pic requests since Horton is just so darn cute.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
So you do know you are going to be bombarded with pic requests since Horton is just so darn cute.
I will be more than happy to oblige!!!! I'm gonna try to take some tonight.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Swift Tribe

yep, im sure there are a bunch of us quite folks watching this.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:48 PM
-

WOOO HOOO.... I am so happy to hear that Horton has been seizure free for 36 hours and sending lots of good wishes for his continued improvement.

You are such a wonderful devoted doggie mom.

Your lawyer sounds awesome and I hope between the two of you that something can be done to force that breeder out of business.

Looking forward to lots of new pics of adorable Horton
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I just read this whole thread now, and first and fore most, OMG is that not the cutest puppy in the world!???
Secondly, I am so happy that he seems to be coming around
Thirdly, best of luck taking these ******* "breeders" down.
and even though its a bit late in the thread.
I was wondering, did they administer the vaccinations themselves? I know in the US you can do that, here in Canada you can't, I'm just wondering if they didn't mess up the dosage or something.
It seems weird that this started the day after the shots. I'm not a huge fan of vaccinations at all, but even if I wasn't partially biased on the subject, isn't seizures a possible reaction from vaccines?
This article really started my whole over vaccination worries and understanding up, read it if you have a chance.

And finally for now, MORE PICS PLEASE, I can't believe how adorable Horton is, ( and such a fitting name too)
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I just read this whole thread now, and first and fore most, OMG is that not the cutest puppy in the world!???
Secondly, I am so happy that he seems to be coming around
Thirdly, best of luck taking these ******* "breeders" down.
and even though its a bit late in the thread.
I was wondering, did they administer the vaccinations themselves? I know in the US you can do that, here in Canada you can't, I'm just wondering if they didn't mess up the dosage or something.
It seems weird that this started the day after the shots. I'm not a huge fan of vaccinations at all, but even if I wasn't partially biased on the subject, isn't seizures a possible reaction from vaccines?
This article really started my whole over vaccination worries and understanding up, read it if you have a chance.

And finally for now, MORE PICS PLEASE, I can't believe how adorable Horton is, ( and such a fitting name too)
Well, I am biased but I think he is the cutest puppy EVER!!!!!!!!! And as soon as Daddy (Judd, my partner) goes and buys some more batteries we will be posting some pics. Right now, he's on the phone trying to get these breeders! I wondered that to about the vaccinations and I will read that article!!! Thank you for the information!!!!
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM

I also just found this post and have read through the whole thing....afraid to go to next page...but it looks like Horton is a real trooper! He is absolutely beautiful....those eyes make my heart melt

I hope and pray that you will get to the bottom of this, but most of all, I pray that Horton stays seizure free!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Adriann,not to put a damper on Hortons improvement,although it looks really,really promising,take it an hour/day at a time,seizures are totally unpredictable,if he should have another,don't let it break your heart.

I think erykah is on to something,maybe the pup was too young,too weak to have his shots and if administered by the breeders maybe too big a dosage
Aren't they supposed to be a little older for the first shots??

Still,we are all cheering on this little cutie and every day I open up this thread and read no seizuresthe day is brighter
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Talking Seizure Free for two days!!!!!!!!!

Good Morning All!
Horton slept through the night again! He did however wake me up at 5:45 am to poddy, but that's great to! He's so smart!!

I feel like I can't thank you all enough for all your support!! Horton posed for some very cute pics last night!! Just for all of you!!

About the vaccines, I am beginning to wonder about that also. They were administered by the breeder. And to see him turn around like he has, not just going without seizing but, he's running and playing now. Before if he wasn't having a seizure...he was usually sleeping. Horton is special and I have faith that he will be healthy! But, I do know we aren't outta the woods just yet.

Old December 19th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Pictures, Pictures!!!

So, these are the first pictures Judd and I took. The others were taken by the breeder. First of all, ours are so much better, but doesn't he look so much happier?
Attached Images

Old December 19th, 2008, 07:39 AM

More Pics!

Just a few more!
Attached Images

Old December 19th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Good Morning All!
Horton slept through the night again! He did however wake me up at 5:45 am to poddy, but that's great to! He's so smart!!

I feel like I can't thank you all enough for all your support!! Horton posed for some very cute pics last night!! Just for all of you!!

About the vaccines, I am beginning to wonder about that also. They were administered by the breeder. And to see him turn around like he has, not just going without seizing but, he's running and playing now. Before if he wasn't having a seizure...he was usually sleeping. Horton is special and I have faith that he will be healthy! But, I do know we aren't outta the woods just yet.

I have faith that he is going to do just fine with you as his mommy. Now I have to go view the pics

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 19th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww those pics of him cuddling his teddy bear are sooooo cute .

Has your vet been able to find out anything more on the seizures?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG that is just the best news Way to go,little boy
You should try to make the pics a little smaller,so we can see him clearly.
Love the one with him in your arms
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Awww those pics of him cuddling his teddy bear are sooooo cute .

Has your vet been able to find out anything more on the seizures?
No, we haven't found the root cause yet. Every test we've done he is perfectly healthy. The only things wrong are the Coccidia and Hookworms, also Xrays show that he will probably have some hip problems when he gets older (pretty typical of the breed). However, we already started him on vitamins to try to avoid that.

I have a feeling we may never find out why. I was wondering, since the breeders denied me AKC paperwork (they said they didn't register his litter with AKC) I wonder if Horton was the result of inbreeding? That would explain the abnormal brain activity...and why they didn't register the breed. Am I reaching here?
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Trying again...sorry they were so big!

If this doesn't work, I'll just put them on my profile.
Attached Images

Old December 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM

That's great news to hear Horton is doing so well. He's had a tough start but it sure sounds like he's in the the right place with the right people. Best of luck to the little guy in the future. Love the pics of him and his teddy.

along with; Dixie, Angel, Dex, Leroy, Babygirl, Harley, Chubby, Jasper, Katie and ole buckethead; Samson

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Robert A. Heinlein
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Adriann,it does not matter if the pics are big,we'll take little Horton-pics any size,okI was not complaining
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Cuddling with his teddy!

Quote:
I have a feeling we may never find out why. I was wondering, since the breeders denied me AKC paperwork (they said they didn't register his litter with AKC) I wonder if Horton was the result of inbreeding? That would explain the abnormal brain activity...and why they didn't register the breed. Am I reaching here?
Likely, if they denied AKC paperwork it's because they can't register the litter--the parents are not registered is my guess.

Will they supply the pedigree of the dam and sire? If you can trust what they give you (since if they aren't registered, it won't be verified) the pedigrees or lineages will tell you the degree of inbreeding. If you can get the pedigrees, I can help you calculate the inbreeding coefficient if you really want to know.

I'm so glad he's been seizure free for so long! Hugs and kisses and slobbery snuffles from my Pack for Horton!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:23 AM
-

Quote:
No, we haven't found the root cause yet. Every test we've done he is perfectly healthy. The only things wrong are the Coccidia and Hookworms, also Xrays show that he will probably have some hip problems when he gets older (pretty typical of the breed). However, we already started him on vitamins to try to avoid that.

We have two Bassets' Adriann, our 4th and 5th in 30 years of living with Bassets, none of them have ever experienced 'hip' problems. Weight can be a major concern with them, they can experience back problems due to their length and short legs because of their tendency to become overweight quite easily.

He is gorgeous and I am so happy to read that he seems to be doing better.
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I just can't get enough of Horton

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Hortan!!

Adrriann he is a absolute cuddle-bum I just wanna cradle him.

Could his seizures be from the Shots? or would the seizure have to come on quite quickly? after getting them?

Edit I just read back.. I too am thinkin that maybe the culprit
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Hi Adriann ..... I just found this thread, and read with a lump in my throat initially. Now it looks like that sweet, adorable Horton is doing so much better. Have to agree with you that he is just the cutest puppy ever, and is he ever lucky to have found you and your partner. Take care.

Pat