Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 21st, 2010, 05:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

She hasn't lost any weight , that is wonderful news, 14+ . I am thinking she is getting enough from your force feedings that she won't be hungry enough to eat .

It may be the different food making her gag, but all my sickie cats have loved the AD, or the fact she thinks you are for taking her to the vet.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
-

I'm so glad she hasn't lost any weight ! That's a good sign

will keep sending
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

So happy she hasn't lost anymore weight! And I know what you mean re: A/D. I don't like the vet diets at all, but you do what ya gotta do. We have monster on Hills D/D right now
and may have to put Thorin back on the Gastro. It's the only food that kept him from bouts of colitis... go figure

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thank you all so much for your continued support. It means a lot!
Benni had about 2/3 of a can today. The vet wants me to feed her 3 or 4 smaller meals a day. She also mentioned a feeding tube. I don't think I want to go that far. If I can just get her to start on her own. I am going to go searching for some treats and things that might call her name or something. She didn't like the Purebites. The others enjoyed them. I crumbled some on top of food but she turned her nose up.
rainbow - Benni is a biter. You put anything in her mouth she bites. Not so sure I want my finger bitten that badly.
I'm hoping if I leave food in her crate with her and I am slow with a meal she will get hungry enough to try it. Maybe with the Pred she is on it may help too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

good luck finding something that will kick her appetite into overdrive 14+..
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I sure hope the pred helps!! Glad to hear she ate a bit today. Hopefully her full appetite will return soon and she will be on the mend. I'll keep you both in my 's

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:39 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
good luck finding something that will kick her appetite into overdrive 14+..
Thanks aslan. I am so beat I'm not sure I'm even making sense any more. I think it's time for bed.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:09 AM
-

No, I guess you don't wnat to smear if she's a biter. But 2/3 of a can sounds pretty good ....is that the most yet? Hope the pred starts to help soon.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

2/3 of a can is a lot for an inactive kitty. Puddles will eat about 1/2 of can on a good day, the others about 1 can (if that), but they are tearing around the house.

Sending more .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
150% PRO S/N

The vet said 3/4 of a can. I figure 2/3 wasn't too bad for the first day. She really didn't want much with the last feeding. The morning one and mid afternoon she doesn't fight as much. Last night she clenched her teeth together after about 5 or 6 mls.
Right now she has a few Temptations, a few pieces of kibble, some tuna packed in water, and some AD in her crate with her. She has ignored it all. When I let her out for an hour or so this morning she ignored everything too. Stubborn!! But you are right L4. She is being force fed so much she probably isn't hungry. Maybe I'll skip tonights' meal when I get home from work and see how she is in the morning.

Last edited by 14+kitties; September 22nd, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

When Snowball was sick, my vet thought he should be eating a whole can too. He hadn't eaten that much since he was a young adult. He would only eat half to 2/3 a day depending on how active he was.

When I was force feeding Puddles, I could only get just under a half of can a day.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
150% PRO S/N

I am not going to stress over a few mouthfuls. She will eat when she is ready. We just have to maintain weight, or gain, and get her better.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
-

I think skipping her evening feeding is a good idea since it stresses her so much. Maybe she will surprise you and eat whatever you leave out by morning.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

i am glad she's eating,the pred did nothing to my boys appetite,but he had difficulty swallowing,because of the growth.
so.there was nothing wrong with her teeth and she has not lost weight,sounds really encouraging
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I am not going to stress over a few mouthfuls. She will eat when she is ready. We just have to maintain weight, or gain, and get her better.
Absolutely. I guess my point was to not get too upset about her not eating on her own because she is getting enough from the feedings. I know how disheartening it is when you check on your babies hoping they have eaten and they hadn't

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
150% PRO S/N

Cross your fingers she will eat something tonight please.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:48 AM

Have you tried a teensy pinch of catnip or parmesan cheese on her food? Have you tried offering a small bit of scrambled eggs or meat based baby food w/no onions? Are you warming the catfood slurry before assist feeding?

I wouldn't leave her too long without feeding even if you have food in the crate for her, even though she is telling you she's had enough of you feeding her by end of day she still might not be getting enough calories. Maybe you can add another small feeding just before bed so she has at least a little something in her stomach overnight as nausea can occur from not enough food. If she is showing any interest at all in the food left out for her I wouldn't be too concerned about skipping a feeding, but if she has no interest at all I wouldn't risk it with her already having liver issues

Quote:
http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_...#calorie_needs
Average Feline Calorie Needs

Whilst it is hard to be precise, a cat needs approximately 30-35 calories per day per pound of body weight, or possibly more if the cat is particularly active. As an example, a 9 lb cat would need 270-315 calories a day. Therefore, as you can see, feeding a teaspoonful of food a day is not going to be enough to maintain your cat's weight, let alone increase it if your cat is too thin.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope she ate last night :g oodvibes:

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow 14+, I haven't been on lately and missed so much it seems. I sure hope Benni picks up soon and feels better. I know you must be so stressed out over her being ill. Stay strong my friend, with you on her side Benni has no choice but to get better.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
~Cat Servent~

I'll have another meowy talk with benni tonight.... and maybe the pred will work like it does on me....I can't shovel food in fast enough when I'm on that stuff!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
-

Did Bennie eat last night? How is she today?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Have you tried a teensy pinch of catnip or parmesan cheese on her food? Have you tried offering a small bit of scrambled eggs or meat based baby food w/no onions? Are you warming the catfood slurry before assist feeding?
She isn't much for catnip. She does enjoy the leaves occasionally but not the dry stuff. I will try that. Parmesan I will have to buy. Scrambled egg she turns her nose up at. Baby food too. And yes, always warmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Wow 14+, I haven't been on lately and missed so much it seems. I sure hope Benni picks up soon and feels better. I know you must be so stressed out over her being ill. Stay strong my friend, with you on her side Benni has no choice but to get better.
I'm ok. Just need to get my gang all healthy again. Thank you!

Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

to you 14+ i hope she really eats on her own soon. Glad she hasn't lost any weight yet!

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM
-

How's Benni doing?
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:41 PM
150% PRO S/N

Well, it was rather disheartening today. I put a couple of Purebite treats in front of Benni tonight. She tried so hard to eat them. I could see she wanted to. Then she started foaming and turned away from them. Shortly after that she threw up a small amount of food. She hasn't thrown up before. I'm wondering if it's the Hepato Support vitamins. That's the only new thing she's had. If I coat them with food so she can swallow them she gags. If I open the capsule and add it to her food she gags. I'm giving her Denamarin. Maybe that would be enough.
Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Old September 25th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you pm'd Dr Lee? He may have some insight into this

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
150% PRO S/N

SHE ATE!!!!!!!!
Not much. Only about 6 or 7 treats. But she ate on her own!!!!!!
I am so hoping this is the start. She turned her face away from "real" food but I will try tempting her with different things today to see if I can spike her interest.
L4 - Pming Dr Lee is a great idea. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Old September 25th, 2010, 08:56 AM
-

Finally ! yea Benni !
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, I was just in the middle of posting below when I saw your post!!!!!!!! I am crying now.

I was thinking the liver disease along with the antibiotics may be making her feel really nauseated so when food hits her tummy, she starts feeling sick.

The other way to get vit B is raw liver and raw egg yolks and add the milk thistle.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Last edited by Love4himies; September 25th, 2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: change of Benni status
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yay, Benni I am so happy!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)