Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM

Update

Horton has had four more seizures in 12 hours, even with the pheno and valium. I think that he is having the "smaller" variety as well....he refuses to sleep. I've been up with him since 2am. He only sleeps for about 10 minutes at a time, then he starts trembling....wakes up and wonders around the room. I gave him 1/2 a pheno at 6:30 last night, he seized at 8pm, I gave him a valium after his seizure. He seized at 2 am and I have him another pheno at 3am. The vet told me to go ahead with his normal dosage at 7am....so I did and he seized at 8:30am. So, the meds aren't working. He has gone back to the "frantic" Horton. Not just when he seizes but all the time. The seizure he had yesterday morning was the worst I've seen him have.....and it's been down hill from there. The Drs want to talk about the next step and call me back. I'll post another update when I know.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor little sweetheart.
I'll be thinking about you today. Whatever you end up doing, you know that you did it out of love. Horton first and last.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Poor little sweetheart.
I'll be thinking about you today. Whatever you end up doing, you know that you did it out of love. Horton first and last.
I am with Badger. You are very courageous, loving and determined. I admire your strength and dedication. One in a million.

I will be thinking of you and Horton today.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM

Blah

Yes, I think that Judd and I have made a call already. We really have seen no improvement or progress...is probably a better word. He will be great for two days and then really bad for 4 days. At what point do you say, this isn't fair to him anymore.
Last weekend we said that if he has another set of cluster seizures being on all this medication, it was probably time to make the call. We anticipated him to still have the occasional seizure, but not multiples in one day. We keep thinking, what if the last seizure he has is the last he'll ever have? What if we make a huge mistake?
But, it really seems as though when Horton's body starts to adjust to the new dosages....the seizures come back. So, it's either keep him completely doped up all the time, or let him seize. Just seems so unfair to him....he's just a baby.
I can't say we have decided for sure...we just wait to hear from the doctors.
Maybe my Augie and my Fred need a new playmate up there...they never really cared for each other here and Augie LOVED puppies.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Which ever descision you make, don't be too hard on yourselves, you have already done so much more than most people would have.
I understand where you are coming from with the debate you are having, its the hardest descision for any pet owner to make.
Just know that what ever route you decide on, we are standing behind you on it.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Adriann27 - there will be what ifs but my what if is this to you: What if Horton never made his way into your home? Into your heart? Into your life? What if Horton stayed there and remained nameless? What if Horton never knew kisses and hugs, treats and never heard laughter or felt tears? What if Horton never knew love, warmth and tenderness?

I wish that there was the right thing to say to you. Heck - I wish this never happened!

You have given all of us here at pets and visitors as well the courage to not give up. You and Horton have touched us in so many ways. I know that I for one get emotional for you even though we never met. I also know that we are all watching very closely and if prayers work in some way - then you have many people that are doing just that.

Whatever you decide - we stand beside you and we are hear to listen.

Bless you and Horton Adriann27.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM

The Vets

I lost count but, Horton had numerous seizures between around 10:00 and 11:30. I called the Vet and he said to bring him in. I talked to them and they want to keep Horton and make him comfortable, and for us to come back this afternoon to discuss letting him go.

His little whines now really sound like cries for some kinda relief. Just pray for him....he's so little and has no idea what's going on.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriann27 View Post
I lost count but, Horton had numerous seizures between around 10:00 and 11:30. I called the Vet and he said to bring him in. I talked to them and they want to keep Horton and make him comfortable, and for us to come back this afternoon to discuss letting him go.

His little whines now really sound like cries for some kinda relief. Just pray for him....he's so little and has no idea what's going on.
Prayers coming your way Adiann27. Thank you for sharing and please know that we are here for you.

Peace.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Prayers and hugs for you and Horton, I know how hard it must be, hang in there, and just know you've done more the most people would have.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
Kitty pimp

pryers for you and your little one
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Adrian...I have been avoiding opening this thread cause it just breaks my heart. I cannot imagine the shoes your walking in. My heart goes out to you in this troubling time.

I have to agree with the others that if you hadnt have come along for your baby boy he probably would not have fealt the amount of love you have given him in his short little life....he would not have experienced good food, tummy rubs, hugs from mom and dad and you can say that you were the one and only that did that.

I wanted you to know that you have reached out to sooo many special people here that will always be there for you! Funny doesnt matter what time of the day you log on there is always someone here that knows about precious Horton...we are with you while you deal with whatever you have to do....never second guess your decisions and know that we support everything you are doing for your baby boy!

May you find some peace....

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Remembering Lukka

Adriann I am so sorry to hear that Horton is seizing constantly now. How very heartbreaking for you, Judd and poor little Horton.
I will be thinking of you as you meet with the vet today and come to a decision about Horton and what further care you will have them provide.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Oh Adriann Bless you and Judd for all that you have done. It must be so heartbreaking to witness what this little guy has gone thru. I know my heart breaks for you

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way for the right thing to do...whatever that is. Your vets have been excellent throughout all this. I am sure they will continue to counsel you objectively.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM

Adriann, you and Horton are in my thoughts and prayers today. Know that regardless your decision, that Baby Horton will live forever in your heart.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Adriann and Judd, my thoughts and prayers are with you today. No matter what choice you make, it will be with Hortons best interest in mind and souly out of love for him. As many here have said you have done more for him than alot of others would have.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Adriann,I am so very sorry,I don't know what to say,except,if love,care and thousands of prayers could cure,Horton he would be one healthy little baby.
I think we all love Horton from a distance and Horton,you and Judd certainly found your way into everyones heart

:
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
-

Adriann, I am deeply sorry to hear that Horton is having seizures repeatedly. :sad: My heart goes out to you as this is such a sad and difficult decision to make.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you, Judd and little Horton today.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Adriann, I'm so sorry for little Horton's seizing :sad:. I know you've been told several times, but you and Judd have been amazing parents to him and I'm sure he realizes how lucky he was to have joined your family. We're all here for you no matter what decision you make.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM

Horton

We let Horton pass to the other side around 5pm. He continued to seize at the Vets, so severely they had to sedate him. We (Judd, myself, and the Drs) thought it was the best thing to do. The Vet said he was sure that Horton had lost his vision and hearing probably as well.

So, then why do I feel like I just killed my pet. Devasted doesn't even begin to cover how we are feeling.

Thank you to everyone for your prayers and love...I will always be in debt to you all for that.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Adrian we are all here for you. I would like to post this poem I saw for you. Run free at the bridge Horton!!

Many tears will be shed tonight...We are all feeling this loss with you and your family even though we never met Horton.

Your Pets In Heaven
by Ken D. Conover

To have loved and then said farewell, is better than to have never loved at all.
For all of the times that you have stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you.
For the care that you gave to me so unselfishly.
For all of these things I am grateful and thankful.

I ask that you not grieve for the loss, but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each others lives. My life was fuller because you were there, not as a master/owner, but as my FRIEND.

Today I am as I was in my youth. The grass is always green, butterflies flit among the flowers and the Sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures.
I can run, jump, play and do all of the things that I did in my youth. There is no sickness, no aching joints and no regrets and no aging.

We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know that togetherness is forever.
You live in our hearts as we do in yours. Companions such as you are so rare and unique.
Don't hold the love that you have within yourself. Give it to another like me and then I will live forever. For love never really dies, and you are loved and missed as surely as we are.

Your Pets In Heaven
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
-

I am so sorry Adriann27 , you did everything you could and more , it was time to let him go. :sad: You set him free.

Run to the bridge little Horton , your life was short , but you were so much loved by your owners , more than many dogs that I know.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I am so sorry for your loss of Horton.
You have done more than most people would have.
RIP little horton
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM

Adriann I'm so sorry, you did the best you could do. Poor little guy.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

You didn't kill him, you let him go, knowing that you had done everything possible to help him. When your grief has subsided a little, may you find another, healthy puppy to help heal that hole in your heart.
Woo woo to the bridge little guy, you won't be forgotten.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

dear sweet Horton

Such sadness, Adriann and Judd, for you and for everyone you shared your story with.

You most certainly did not kill your pet...those poor excuse for human being puppymillers/byb killed your pup by breeding and inbreeding

How many of those poor pups never had anyone sleep on the couch all night giving them comfort and loving them up when they were not well.

Horton was your to be sure...he will light a fire under your butt to NEVER let anyone you know suffer and grieve as you are now by buying from such unscrupulous people

I am so so sorry for you. I certainly hope that you will stay on the board now and continue to let us get to know your gentle soul and let us now support you through this unbearable episode
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM

Adriann and Judd, our deepest condolences for your loss. At times like these its hard to find the right words, but know we are all sharing in your pain and grief.
Bless you for all you did for little Horton, you did so much more than most would and your love for the little guy was the best gift you could give him, along with peace and freedom you have now given him from his illness.

RIP Little Horton.. Run Free! We will see you again I am sure!!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM

I'm sorry there was so much turmoil in this wee one's short life , his saving grace was his loving family who gave him the best life he could've had.

sweet Horton run seizure free at The Rainbow Bridge

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
dear sweet Horton

Such sadness, Adriann and Judd, for you and for everyone you shared your story with.

You most certainly did not kill your pet...those poor excuse for human being puppymillers/byb killed your pup by breeding and inbreeding

How many of those poor pups never had anyone sleep on the couch all night giving them comfort and loving them up when they were not well.

Horton was your to be sure...he will light a fire under your butt to NEVER let anyone you know suffer and grieve as you are now by buying from such unscrupulous people

I am so so sorry for you. I certainly hope that you will stay on the board now and continue to let us get to know your gentle soul and let us now support you through this unbearable episode
I will be staying on board! I still have two furbabies, that I must admit...have not gotten the attention the need and deserve. But, they understand...they both were "special needs" kitties at one time until I nursed them to health. Now, they are just crotchy old cats...VERY self-sufficent!
Judd was very strong for me, because I just fell to pieces. I know that he's hurting too, we've hardly spoken because we can't stop crying. On Monday, Judd kept saying "Why can't I fix him?" it was so heartbreaking. But, I think he wants to try again...I know we do. Just not now, for so many different reason....but, when we do, we will either go the rescue route (the way I've always gone) or be sure we have good reputable breeders.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry. Tears are flowing here for Horton. Horton knew love while he was with you and do not feel guilty. You freed your little one from pain and he is now with your Aunt and Fred. from Shayker's Haven

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Remembering Lukka

I'm so sorry Adriann

It was time to let little Horton pass. Sometime Mother Nature is very unkind.
I know you are struggling with feelings of guilt and what if's but letting him pass over was an act of kindness and thou you don't see it now, in time you will.
Horton is not seizing now, he has no pain, his little ears are dragging on the ground as he plays with countless other animals who have gone before him. His little body is in perfect working order, something he has never felt before. He's laughing in amazement at how fast he can run (ears dragging and all) and he is able to move in a straight line, no dizziness from meds to inhibit his movements.
He won't forget you and Judd, he will be waiting for you at the bridge when the time comes.
sweet little Horton