Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:55 AM

he walks a few steps the right way!!! he wasnt knuckling it or hyperextending it!!! WOOHOO!!! i dont think the vet expected to see him do that at all for a while because she has talked about amputation before but i knew baby would show the vet whos boss because hes done it already with everything why not this lol WOOHOO i ran around the house jumpin and yellin lol even tho its just a few steps thats better than nothing YAY
Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:34 AM

costs

450 bucks is a drop in a bucket when you have animals......make a payment sheduale with the vet. A true vet that is there for the animals will take what is accepted from you. I LOVE MY VET! and owe him big money! lol
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Fireangel,keep the good news coming Baby is definetly a fighter and wants to live and with you and your family supporting him,he has the best chances in the world :love:
I believe(I am no expert!)his wound would will dry and get tight,as it heals,probably even itchy,maybe some sort of gel like Aloe will help.
Hopefully it is not tight because it's swelling,but you would know that...
Hugs to Baby!!! :love:
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:44 PM

i thought it was swollen and was scared it was infection so i took him in to the vet yesterday she said its all good
its been about 8 days now after the accident is he still at risk of infection?
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Fireangel,I just looked at where you are,I thought Vancouver,British Colombia Canada,but I see WA,is that Washington state in the US?
I am not sure,but I think there is always a risk for infection after surgery,but he seems to be doing great! Did not mean to worry you..
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM

yes washington state just moved here from oregon last month lol
and so far today baby is not knuckling when he walks anymore its either hyperextending or its positioned right and he limps wooohoooo
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Fireangel,I love cats(or anything with 4 legs)and I am very impressed with what you have done for Baby,very often we hear here about people not taking their cats/dogs to the vet,not until it's too late.
I have tons of confidence in you and your family and that Baby will once again be the beautiful cat he was :love:
Here I was thinking you were in Canada,oh well,it makes no difference at all Baby is in wonderful hands :love:
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:09 PM

i just got done calling everyone and letting them know the good news about him not knuckling anymore when he walks and everyone has been saying that in about a year he'll probably just have a small limp and i am really begining to think so as well concidering its a little more than a week after the accident and hes progressed so much
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM

hey guys i found a tiny bit of blood in babys poop talked to the vet we need to get him to eat and drink some more and keep an eye on the poop
he will not eat the food that we bought at the vet
anyone have any bland food recipes? we needs to get some food down him and i have a sirynge that i can put water in to give to him i tried to give him chicken broth but he literally gaged
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:32 AM

well i got some absolutely outstanding news
i was making him some food(boiled some chicken and mixed with rice vets orders) i came back upstairs to my room nearly ran him over from him standing infront of the doorway wich im assuming he was waiting for me to come back so i sat down on the floor next to him and started petting him askin him what he was doing up.... he started purring(first time since the day he came home from the vet) i leaned forward and kissed his lil head and he headbutted me so i took off my glasses and started rubbing my forhead against his like we used to do hed lick my nose and rub on my face some more with his then he did something he hasnt done since before his accident he crawled onto my lap curled up in a ball and fell asleep
of course after 25 minutes of that my back started to hurt so i tried to grab him and sit in my computer chair with him but like always he hated that and wanted down lol
he hates it when im holding him at my computer because when im at the computer im always typing and that means only 1 hand to pet him with instead of 2 and no nuzzles lol
he is deffinetly getting better.... i cant hardly give him his meds anymore by myself i tried to give him his pain killer medication(i have to keep his mouth open for about 10 seconds so it can set in under his tongue) he wiggled out of my grasp and swallowed it before i could even count to 2 lol
looks like ill be getting someones help from now on
my baby kitty is doing so much better
oh i just relized i never told you guys why i named him baby.... its not all that great of a story but its cute.... when i first got him(he was a christmas present back in 97) i loved the sylvester cartoon cat at the time and named him that but after about 2 weeks my brother said yanno he loves being held like a baby you should just call him that besides he doesnt even look like sylvester the cat... so ever since then hes been called baby... hes the only cat ive ever seen that likes being craddled like a baby and likes to put their paw on your face and look into your eyes and pur like crazy
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like he's on the mend but did he eat???
I once had a diabetic cat,prescribed the vet-food,he also would not touch the stuff..
The blood in the poop,depending on how much,could be something as simple as broken blood vessel from an irritated anus,or something more serious...
My Rocky had little tinges of blood,but it was from constipation..Baby with all his injuries and meds are different however.
He sounds like a really sweet cat,my 3 males are also real Kissy-Cats
I agree with the"Miracle cat",Baby certainly is,although not out of the woods yet,he has a guardian angel looking after him
I'll be really happy when he finishes some of those meds,as I am sure you'll be too.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:08 PM

yes i deffinetly will be happy when he finished the meds he has 2 doses left of his bladder medication about 2 weeks left of the antibiotics ut i found a lil smidge of blood on one of the puppy training pads so i think one of the antibiotics will be stopped and im not sure how much longer he'll be taking the diarrhea medication... concidering he hasnt been able to poop since i found that bloody once im going to call the vet and ask if he should even be taking it
Old September 23rd, 2005, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe Baby was only supposed to take it until his poop was ok,it could be he is now constipated,hence the blood,but I am only guessing,only your vet could tell you.
I am that Baby will imrove even more over the weekend,he is certainly an amazing cat and it goes double for the owner
Old September 23rd, 2005, 04:47 PM

okies guys heres another picture of my pretty baby he found a new spot to sleep today under the stool that i just got for under my desk
my computer is blowin warmish air under there so im sure hes lovin that lol
hes walkin even better today walkin on the foot more normaly with a limp than hyperextending
im very suprised that hes progressed so much so fast
Attached Images

Old September 24th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Awwww,that's so nice to see,thank's
I always look at your posts first to hopefully get a pick-me-upper in the morning
Chances are he picked that spot to be near you,but it certainly is a good sign
Old September 24th, 2005, 02:13 PM

i opened the kennel door this morning and he went right for it lol
everyday hes walking better and better and its amazing to me concidering they werent sure if hed be able to keep his leg... his walking with a limp now and sometimes hyper extending it and VERY VERY selndom he knuckles it when he first gets up

and i cant hardly give him his meds anymore because hes fighting me so much on em lol
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:44 PM

well his wound opened up a lil bit and theres a lil drainage comin out i blotted it with something and its clear with a lil blood in there like it was before when he came home
should i be worried about that?
Old September 25th, 2005, 03:54 AM

i found a lump on babys right front paw about an hour ago it doesnt seem to hurt him hes passed out asleep and i felt it and he didnt move it away like it hurt even looked at it more with him away no reaction at all
the vet is closed tomorrow so on monday im gonna take him in
his wound is draining again and id like the vet to make sure its not infection
hes been cuddlin with me all day today i wish my baby kitty could sleep with me but he cant cuz hes jump off the bed im very tempted to sleep on the floor and leave his kennel door open one night when he gets a bit more better... i miss cuddlin with him at night lol
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Fireangel,I would not dare say,not to worry,because I don't know :sad: all I can do is hope nothing is wrong
Maybe he scratched his wound when you did not see it,healing might be itchy..the lump I have no idea,I guess another trip to the vet is needed.After all he is such a wonderful little trooper and any setback after all he and you have been through,would be soo sad.
I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that there is nothing bad going on with him :love:
I wish someone else could give you an idea what it is,but I also believe guessing at this point could be dangerous for Baby :love:
Old September 26th, 2005, 04:49 PM

The draining that is taking place in the leg might be looking for another outlet and accumulating in the paw because it's a lower extremity. Your vet would be able to see if this is the case. If it is, a simple lancing would allow the accumulation to drain out. Good thing, you're keeping an eye on these things. The sooner they're found the sooner they can be dealt with.
Old September 26th, 2005, 05:11 PM

its on his front right paw instead of the back right paw wich is the one that was hurt
he doesnt seem to limp or lick it like he does when hes in pain infact he acts like theres nothing wrong with it at all
it doesnt seem to be changing in size at all so im thinkin it might be a sprain and its swollen(thats happened to me sooooo many times) but we'll find out at the vet... i might be able to get him in today but for sure tomorrow
the stitches are wearing away now and its opened up in 2 places and is draining
hes been so cuddley and last night he wouldnt stop meowing and trying to get out of the kennel i was worried hed hurt himself so i let him be out last night he slept under my foot stool all night long he pawed at my bed and woke me up for some lovins but thats all he did i knew he woudlnt try to jump up on my bed because when he saw my grandma he didnt jump on her lap like he usually does he waited for me to lift him up onto her lap
so im thinkin he knows itd be just too painful to jump so he wont
hes eating really good now and is starting to drink water again i think its the meds bothering his tummy
and his poop is getting more normal everyday altho it worries me that he isnt getting up anymore to go to the bathroom i think he might not have full control over that because it happens when hes asleep
Old September 27th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I was a little worried when I did not read anything about Baby yesterday,but I am sure you have other things to do
I am eager to hear what the vet says...I am sure all the meds cause havoc with his tummy,but they also saved his life,together with your loving care :love:
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:27 PM

his wound has opened up in 2 places it looks like the skin healed but didnt heal together its not red or iritated lookin or anything there seems to be very very little drainage its completely clear
last night it was open in 1 spot and quit small like half the size of a pee and now 1 spot is almost the size as a dime and the other is half the size of a dime
im soooo glad we're takin him to the vet today they accept walkins between 2 - 5 so we're leavin at 1:45 wich in an hour and 15 mins away
anyone have any idea what the vet might do to the open parts? the other parts seem quit heeled theres 1 part where its completely healed just a scar showin
i think the parts that opened up are the areas where they had to stretch the skin so far from the lack of skin(he was missing a lot) and i think it was just hard for the skin to make the connection it needed to healed together so they healed apart
how would a vet fix that?
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:15 PM

ok guys got him to the vet it was busy busy busy so he was stuck in the waiting room full of doggies and kitties meowing like crazy screamin to let them out and go home lol
finaly they went and took a look at him and at first just took him back to look at his wound but my mom pointed out we wanted a room and to talk to the vet
good thing because this is everything that we were told
<takes a deep deep breath>
his wound looks ok the drainage is clear so its all good but need to keep a very very close eye on it because its open
his paw looks like it doesnt hurt him so she thinks its just a sprain and is swollen so no need to worry.. they can do an x-ray just to make sure but that costs 45 bucks we dont have a whole lot of extra money(will explain more of that in a few)
he lost a pound and a half since he was last there and he looks dehydrated so they gave him fluids under the skin and i told her that he doesnt eat the en food as much as he eats the regular food so she said slowly switch him back to the regular food
i let her know that i stopped giving him the bene-bac gel because he was constipated for 2 days and she said thats all good
i let her know that im all out of pain meds for him and she asked if he needed more.. i told her that some just to have for him would be nice just incase and asked for it to be in pill form(since hes getting better now there is no way in hell i can keep him still for about 5 seconds while the liquid pain meds would set under his tongue)
so she gave me some Torbutrol to give him every 12 hours... im gonna wait until tonight to give him one i want to see how bad he needs them so i might give him them once a day but i dunno just yet
she wanted to do a full work up on him urine sample and all... wich is $95 wich my mom had to take out of the savings to pay for that(she doesnt get paid until next week(wich is why we couldnt do the x-ray)) she felt his bladder and it was kinda full.. i told her he hadnt peed yet today because hes been sleepin... she took him in the back to get blood and get a urine sample... well they got their urine sample... he peed ALLLLLLL over completely emptying his bladder on his own... i told her he has no problems peeing but she seemed very pleased to see him go on his own like that so now she isnt worried
we'll get test results back tomorrow
i told her i was worried about him putting sometime while hes just laying there or while hes asleep and she said well after all thats happened im sure that it hurts to get in the position to poop so he just lets it go but once the pain goes away he'll poop in the litter box no problem
and of course she watched him walk and was very happy that he wasnt knuckling and said he is doing quite well and progressed a lot
by this time he was trembling with fear because he HATES the vet so we got out home asap so he could go to his favorite spot(under my foot stool) and pass out after a hard day lol
Old September 28th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Fireangel,thank's for the update,hopefully it's all ok,like the vet says..
It's no wonder Baby is terrified of the vet,after what he's been through.
All three of mine have a hizzy-fit in the car,howling as if I was torturing them!
Then once at the vet they freeze,probably in terror and the vet can do whatever she wants with them.
It's very difficult to tell if a cat is in pain,unless he's at the end of his rope,but I suppose if he's unwilling to move or eat,it's a sign of discomfort.
Is any hair growing back on his tail and body?
I remember when my son had a long insicion after open-heart surgery,he had puss coming out of his scar.He nearly died from an infection and they had to open him up again,clean the wound stuff it and it then had to heal naturally without stiches,awful ordeal for him.
So,please keep an eye on any redness or swelling around his scar,which I am sure you already do...
Not that I am comparing a child and a cat,but my son also developed a blood-clot in his leg,but I doubt that's what is wrong with Baby's paw.
Please keep the good news coming.
Old September 28th, 2005, 05:14 PM

well the hurt paw is on the front right leg and the wound is on the hind right thigh so its not a blood clot but i am worried and spoke with the vet today because his paw is a bit more swollen she said to keep a close eye on it and if the swelling doesnt change or gets worse to bring him in in the morning
his test results are back hes slightly anemic... normal is 29-48 and he is 27 so in a week we're gonna do another test she thinks it might be due to chronic infection but his wound is draining quite a bit and its all clear with a lil blood wich she said was normal she said it was a lil odd that it waited so long to drain but because its deep it might have taken a while for the fluid to come out but agian shes no really worried because its draining quite well and he isnt going after it at all
he preffers to lay on that side and i try to lay him on the other side but of course hes stubborn.. he gets right up and plops right down on the wound side(some like to say he gets the stubborness from me... pfft ) she was also wondering how he was doing about the food if he was eating... hes scarfing it down now that im mixing some of his normal food with it... i think im gonna wait a while to get him totaly on his normal food i have a case of the soft moist EN from the vets and i woudl like him to eat mostly that... hes dehydrated enough i dont want to risk him getting diarrhea so just gonna have his normal food mixed with that en food until that case is gone
and yes hes growing his fur back thank god lol it was lookin pretty sad him being half bald lol
anyways im done rambling hehehe
he is lookin a bit more alert today i think its due to the fluids they put under his skin yesterday.. oh he also drank a lil water through the night yay
anyone know of a way to trick him into drinkin water?
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:00 AM

ok guys he just pooped quite a bit on my floor he didnt bother getting up he finaly passed a peice of my hair that hes been trying to get out the past couple days but now there is this clear luquid mucus type stuff that is also coming out.... should i be worried? theres a lot less blood in his poop now than earlier.... should i be takin him to the emergency vet right now? i know that happens to humans sometimes and there isnt a lot to worry about that but i duno about animals... what do i do?
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:59 AM

He swallowed a piece of your hair? The mucus discharge could very well be part of that elimination process since it occurred along with the bowel movement. Just watch to see if it happens again. If all of your hair( I won't ask how that happened ) has been expelled, that should be the last of the mucus. If it isn't, then contact your vet by phone in the morning and ask if you should be concerned.
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:35 AM

To get Baby to drink more water you could mix some in with his food to make it soupy, or you can make flavoured water:

Boil a piece or two of chicken in some water, plain, nothing added, until the chicken is cooked - cool the broth and put that in his water bowl, or make ice cubes and let him play with them... this way the water is flavoured and he may be more attracted to it.

You can do the same with tuna juice, dribble a bit out of a can into a bit of water and have him drink that.

Go Baby!
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:56 PM

well hes doin much better today no more mucus in his poo and theres almost no blood in it now
his paw is still swollen but doesnt seem to be bothering him and hes sleepin on my bed
i made him sleep in his kennel last night so he was around everything he needed and he did it all
he drank nearly all the water and he ate quite a bit of food he even used the litter box for the first time in 3 days(hes been poopin where hes been laying)
also he peed like crazy so hes no longer allowed to be under my foot stool anymore because all hes doing is hiding and thats not helpin him at all
his wound is 10x better now though it has stopped draining and is closing up
and i think i will make him more of that chicken broth he doesnt really like it all that much but its better than nothin thanks for the advice