Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
yep , totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
And sometimes it overkill .
yup sometimes it is. it's like when you're talking to someone and their not listening,,sometimes you raise your voice (that yelling thing we taught you)...sometimes people on here feel like they're not being heard i guess.
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Doggie Wench

That makes me think of my mother when I was a teenager . If she had a yelling fit, I simply tuned out. I could only focus on the fact that she sounded like a lunatic and not on the words that she was actually yelling .
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
But what if she did something, not on purpose, that annoyed the hell out of you?
just saw this,,heck yes,especially around pms time,,,you can tell in person if i'm irritated,,,for lord sake don't push it,,especially if there are rubber chickens around.
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Compromised account

I think we will always have members that will have the patience and those that won't simply because they are FED UP picking up after people....
Which is how life is...
Yep, LP, if I didn't stick around - I wouldn't have learned all the oooooodles of info and wouln't have been able to pass it on to my friends and family for one... So if 3 less pups eat crappy food because I researched it and know what to recommend - thats thanks to you guys who put the info on here for me to read!
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok let me give an example of something I learned about 3 years ago that I did not know, would not even think of googling, nor ask questions about: Gas Chambers in Quebec.

Even though I am very active in rescue, consider myself somewhat animal welfare 'savvy', know the laws to an extent, go on missions, rescues, etc....I never knew that gassing, shooting, be-heading and electrocution were still ways of euthanasia that is legal. It was something that I stumbled upon when I went to pick up 50+ dogs at midnight. It was a complete eye opener. I was speachless, confused, baffled, and definately under educated.

I have since learned many things about this subject. Why it is legal, why it still happens, and again, education keeps coming to the forefront. People don't know, and only when something relevant comes up, are they aware of the situation.

I am all for educating. I am. I wish I personally always had my 'happy hat' on to convey some information without being judgemental. At times it comes out right...and others not so.

Guilty as charged.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
,,,you can tell in person if i'm irritated,,,
Ahhh, yes, in person you can tell. But this is the internet. I don't think most people come on here to purposefully irritate members with their questions.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
-

Quote:
Ahhh, yes, in person you can tell. But this is the internet. I don't think most people come on here to purposefully irritate members with their questions.
no but it does happen and we were talking about would i re-act to g if she didn't do it knowingly...thus the in person comment.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Ok let me give an example of something I learned about 3 years ago that I did not know, would not even think of googling, nor ask questions about: Gas Chambers in Quebec.

Even though I am very active in rescue, consider myself somewhat animal welfare 'savvy', know the laws to an extent, go on missions, rescues, etc....I never knew that gassing, shooting, be-heading and electrocution were still ways of euthanasia that is legal. It was something that I stumbled upon when I went to pick up 50+ dogs at midnight. It was a complete eye opener. I was speachless, confused, baffled, and definately under educated.

I have since learned many things about this subject. Why it is legal, why it still happens, and again, education keeps coming to the forefront. People don't know, and only when something relevant comes up, are they aware of the situation.

I am all for educating. I am. I wish I personally always had my 'happy hat' on to convey some information without being judgemental. At times it comes out right...and others not so.

Guilty as charged.
BM, you are one of the bravest, strongest people I have ever had the priviledge of knowing, doing what you do day in and day out.
But if you don,t share that knowledge with us, with me as an average Jane (or Jennie) I will never know!
I used to snap at people on the forum. I sometimes still do. But one time it got me so nervous and frustrated, I was physically shaking... so that I now choose to stay out if I can't contribute. Thats about it.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieV View Post
BM, you are one of the bravest, strongest people I have ever had the priviledge of knowing, doing what you do day in and day out.
But if you don,t share that knowledge with us, with me as an average Jane (or Jennie) I will never know!
I used to snap at people on the forum. I sometimes still do. But one time it got em so nervous and frustrated that I now choose to stay out if I can't contribute. Thats about it.
I absolutely agree JennieV. My point was this: I never even thought of googling or investigating such a subject. I stumbled upon it.

What I am trying to say is that not everyone knows how or they take the easy way to ask questions without exploring or researching the subject matter. Internet is made easy and forums even easier.

I am not saying I am an angel in my responses (heck NO!) but I do understand sometimes about taking a step back and then replying. However, after a few 'nudges' about spaying and neutering, and if the OP does not receive the responses well.....well then I say it's a free for all in the sense that all the advise given was for nothing. Do they deserve respect and everyone bending backwards...I think not.

People get frustrated in sharing good information, and then members flipping out on them, or the OP takes the reins and it is the members that get reprimanded. I think this is what pisses members off.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
maybe i'm being dense but i really don't think most threads start off with someone being rude,,usually the usual blah blah,,,then it starts to change durring its course.
That's what I think too.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I absolutely agree JennieV. My point was this: I never even thought of googling or investigating such a subject. I stumbled upon it.

What I am trying to say is that not everyone knows how or they take the easy way to ask questions without exploring or researching the subject matter. Internet is made easy and forums even easier.

I am not saying I am an angel in my responses (heck NO!) but I do understand sometimes about taking a step back and then replying. However, after a few 'nudges' about spaying and neutering, and if the OP does not receive the responses well.....well then I say it's a free for all in the sense that all the advise given was for nothing. Do they deserve respect and everyone bending backwards...I think not.

People get frustrated in sharing good information, and then members flipping out on them, or the OP takes the reins and it is the members that get reprimanded. I think this is what pisses members off.
I could not agree more... sometimes people come on here looking for us to give them the answer they want to hear or to 'sugar-coat' it. Why should we? Yes, we can be polite but to the point as well... we are here to educate people and tell them about the realities of some of the harsh tragedies in the world not help them keep living in their happy - rainbows - kittens - floofy - fluffly world.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
not help them keep living in their happy - rainbows - kittens - floofy - fluffly world.
yep , sometimes some OP/members would need to be redirected at the www.carebears.com website.

or www.everythingIdoisok.com

Old September 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Compromised account

Frenchy!!
-

Quote:
yep , sometimes some OP/members would need to be redirected at the www.carebears.com website.

hey i like rainbows...
Senior Contributor

Quote:

OMG Frenchy...you are killing me over here.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM
-

ok am i the only one who can't stop laughing at that...
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:29 PM

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:34 PM
-

the carebears.com link actually works...
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM
-

OMG they do have a website / forum !

http://www.planetcarebears.com/

note to self : will sooooo use this one in future threads ...

just kidding .... or am I ?
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Compromised account

OMG... you gonna make me piddle my pants!
Old September 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It comes down to the all mighty dollar. As long as people are making tons of money breeding their cockapoos, goldendoodles, whackamoles, whatever, they are going to do it. Where else can you make a bunch of money really quickly for doing absolutely zilch? Who needs mentors? Who cares if the female dies having those puppies or contracts mastitis afterward and gets very ill? They have puppies! They can keep one and start over. Who needs anyone to show/teach/whatever .......... until something happens and they panic. Whoa!! Then it's time to worry. Who needs to do research.
Are there more people thinking that way? I don't think so. I think there are more pets now than in the past. Then there's the group that feel s/n before a certain age is harmful for a dog. Fine and dandy. Don't use it as an excuse to breed.
Unfortunately cats are in the same position they have always been in. It's just that there are so many of them due to breeding getting out of hand we notice them more now. Why spend the dollars (again, that almighty dollar) getting Fluffy fixed when it is so much easier to put her outdoors when she is in heat. So what if she has kittens. We can drop them off somewhere and never give them another thought.
Ok, I think rant is over. Back to the carebears now................

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I've said this before MANY times and i'm truly impressed that some members are trying harder.

There is NEVER any good reason to be rude on this forum...or any other forum.

Letting your passion get the best of you to the point of replying with bad attitude.... honestly, is bad for this forum, bad for our community, bad for the other members, mods and me one of the Admins. It makes this forum feel unfriendly. It is the exact opposite of the goal of the vast majority of members.

I realize that many members are in rescue and have seen much bad. But really, so what? Why should witnessing bad give people the right to be rude and snarky to people coming here seeking help in earnest? They need education, not attitude.

The original question here was how can people breed animals in this day and age...

The answer is DIRT simple. There is a 40:1 ratio of guests to members and the guests need education. They don't need a lecture, rudeness, attitude etc. They need education. If the education is tactful the member might stay.
If it is not tactful, then those less than tactful posts have chased this person away. Some members don't care about that and it makes me sad and frustrated.

If someone asked me what my single goal would be for the forum, it would be for our forum to be the friendliest pet forum on the Net. THAT would get more people to join and THEN we could tactfully educate way more people.

anyway I'm SUPER glad to see that more members are trying harder.
Many many thanks
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Marko taking into account that you know who those rescue members are, perhaps education can be given to the admin mods as to a degree of understanding. It goes 2 ways.
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM

I don't understand what you mean BM.

Have you ever seen a rude post by Mods or Admin?
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:16 PM
-

I think what BM means is to be more understanding with those members.

On my part , if I'm rude and , a mod / admin calls me on it , I'm fine with it. You guys have a job to do , and I'm big enough to take it. I'll "suck it up buttercup"
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
The original question here was how can people breed animals in this day and age...

The answer is DIRT simple. There is a 40:1 ratio of guests to members and the guests need education. They don't need a lecture, rudeness, attitude etc. They need education. If the education is tactful the member might stay.
If it is not tactful, then those less than tactful posts have chased this person away. Some members don't care about that and it makes me sad and frustrated.
I agree 110% that being polite and tactful is the best approach. I find that volunteering in rescue I find myself becoming very angry and frustrated at people in general. That being said, I realize that getting angry goes nowhere to educate others and I try to be very tactful when I reply to posts of this nature on here.

Back to my original post though... while I can appreciate that people may not know where to always find the best information on spaying/neutering, I still think the information is widely available for those who choose to dig even just a little deep... I think simply put, most people do see that many rescues, organizations, etc. are pushing for pets to be spayed/neutered and acknowledge this, but simply are too lazy, won't pay for it, don't care enough, etc. etc.

It's no excuse not to research something just because the information is not stamped across your forehead or sitting smack dab in front of you. I get sick of always hearing the excuse that people don't know any better... it's time people learn better and they take some responsibility. We can certainly help people by pointing them in the right direction and sharing our knowledge.

And... with that all being said, I still find it incredibly sad in this day and age the number of people who choose to breed their pets. It's the year 2010... the information and knowledge is there, people are just choosing not to listen to it, read it, etc.

Old September 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM
-

Quote:
That makes me think of my mother when I was a teenager . If she had a yelling fit, I simply tuned out. I could only focus on the fact that she sounded like a lunatic and not on the words that she was actually yelling .
I'm the same, I don't like being yelled at and I won't be yelled at....but I don't suffer fools or $hit disturbers lightly.

Quote:
OMG they do have a website / forum !

http://www.planetcarebears.com/

note to self : will sooooo use this one in future threads ...

just kidding .... or am I ?
No you ain't kidding
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:31 PM

I'm confused Frenchy, Mods and Admins should be more understanding to rescue members that are rude?

Quote:
On my part , if I'm rude and , a mod / admin calls me on it , I'm fine with it. You guys have a job to do , and I'm big enough to take it. I'll "suck it up buttercup"
(Just so it's clear I'm only talking in a general way here)
Although you can suck it up, you are not realizing the full effect of a rude post. You may think that your post will be edited/deleted so it's all good and it affected nobody but you....This is FALSE.

If your post is provocative enough, it chases away the OP and leaves them with a crap impression of our community. It likely chases away some guests and keeps lurkers from registering. Every rude post from individual members has an effect on our community, and that effect is bad.

I've said my piece now and I think that's it for me in this thread. I've said the following before many times; Rescuers have hearts of gold.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'm confused Frenchy, Mods and Admins should be more understanding to rescue members that are rude?

I think that's what BM meant.

(Just so it's clear I'm only talking in a general way here)
Although you can suck it up, you are not realizing the full effect of a rude post.
I know I know Marko , for my defense , I think I've toned it down a lot compared to a few years ago.
Closed Thread