Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 4th, 2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess
Prin has a thread in this forum about how What she spends on food now is what she use to have to spend to take her dogs to the vet.. So she has healthier dogs now due to better food.
Yeah, I did the math and the cost is the same, only now I spend a few hundred more on dog food and a few hundred less on vet bills for the two of them. I'd rather it that way- make them healthy rather than fixing them when they're sick.
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:20 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Solid Gold here too Misti's on the Hollistic Potato and Fish and Brandi I just switched to Wolf King/Seagreens. They both lost tons of weight, their coat is soft and shiny and their energy level is wonderful.

And, if someone else cooks meat ... they each get a portion mixed in with their supper.
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Chance's Mom and IVDD

I am with Dachshund Rescue, for, good info on IVDD, research, treatments, on and on, go to dodgerslist , it is totally dedicated to this disorder in Dachshunds.

Sandi
Dachshund Rescue
Shelter Volunteer
Old September 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM

To Funny Farm

What is your puppy eating?/

You aroused my curiousity

I have gone from Canidae, to Chicken Soup, now my dogs are on Iams

All from 4 to 10, I have seven, the 15 is on Purina N/F, she is on epakitin to remove extra phosphorous from her body and SAM E for her liver

I have to say, that my dogs do best on Purina One or Iams

Mom to 4 dachsies, one m in pin dachsie mix and a Feist Terrier mixed with Black mouth cur, my favorite

Sandi
Dachshund Rescue
Shelter Volunteer

A Registered Nurse

Sandi
Old September 5th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancona
I have gone from Canidae, to Chicken Soup, now my dogs are on Iams
I have to say, that my dogs do best on Purina One or Iams
really?? First time I've heard of someone getting better results with iams or purina!!

I had better looking poops with a lower quality kibble, but the difference in coat, teeth, breath and overall smell have been dramatically better with the higher holistic foods.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM

Finding the right food can be a daunting experience!!!!! We have fed our three dogs several different foods throughout their life stages; always trying to find the best one. Marcy, our Cocker Spaniel who is now almost 14 years old, was on Iams for 12 years of her life; Goldie and Aspen (our golden retrievers) both started out on Eukanuba Puppy then switched to Science Diet Adult. Then I stopped listening to what the vets were telling us to feed them and started educating myself about dog food and happened to work with a man who sold Solid Gold.

After doing MUCH research, I and my family decided that Solid Gold was the line we trusted in. For a long time, I was very upset with myself that we were so uneducated about dog foods and were feeding them Iams/Eukanuba/Science Diet, as was reccommended by our previous vets. In addition, I had countless sleepless nights when I learned about the Iams/Eukanuba labs run by *&* and what those animals go through So, I knew our dogs needed a change!

We put Marcy on the Holistic Blendz because of her age and less active lifestyle. She is doing great on it! We no longer have to mix pumpkin with her food; her weight is great (always has been); she has good stools/bowel movements. Aspen, who was still a puppy, was placed on Wolf Cub, and Goldie was placed on Wolf King. However, Goldie & Aspen, both, seem have allergies of some sort, so it was suggested that they try the Hund-n-Flocken. I have read that some people do not fancy this particular product; however, they both are doing very well on it!

We often supplement Aspen's dry kibble with some of Solid Gold's canned food to give her some additional kcalories and protien. She is 1.5 years old and still eating 6 cups per day!!!!!!!! She is EXTREMELY active and SOLID MUSCLE. We were concerned about how much food she was still needing to eat, yet not putting on any fat, so we started mixing the new stuff called Barking at the Moon, as we were considering it for her due to it's high protein levels. But, we had a difficult time ordering it through our new holistic vet, so we kept her on the Hund-n-Flocken.

Over the past few weeks, I started adding cooked chicken breasts and cooked round steak to her food, which she thoroughly enjoyed; however, I noticed that her ears started getting red with little red dots. I immediately recognized this as an allergic reactions to one of the two meats (either the chicken or steak), so I discontinued that method. We are going to continue feeding her the 6 cups of Hund-n-Flocken and supplementing with Solid Gold canned food and the Green Cow tripe for now.

Today, I read on another thread that too much protein can cause liver damage...? What is the most protein a 65-70 lb. dog should consume in one day? I was interested in Steve's Real Food, but then got scared off again by the warnings about consuming raw meats. Our holistic vet is going to start carrying a raw meat-based diet shortly, but I cannot remember what it is called....natural something....?
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:21 AM

Hi Goldens!

I think that there is some debate over whether or not a dog can consume too much protien if he is otherwise looking and acting healthy. I do not know enough about it to be able to get in on that debate...

It is too bad that your little one was having an allergic reaction... Most likely it was to the chicken as I was surprised to learn that there are quite a few dogs who are unable to eat chicken.

How did you go about finding a holistic vet? and what do you find the differences are between a holistic vet and a "regular" vet?

Thanks again!
Chance's Mom
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:54 AM

Hi ChancesMom,

I don't think that many 'traditional vets' are familiar with the holisitic foods, such as Solid Gold, TimberWolf, Canidae, Wellness, etc. because they often are paid to endorse and sell: Eukanuba, Iams, & Science Diet. Even though, they are fully aware of the cruel animal experimentation that *P&* subjects animals to (they manufacture Iams/Eukanuba). But again, there is often something of monetary value in it for them in relation to endorsing and selling those 3 products.

I was told that traditional vets do not like the idea of holistic dog foods because they know that dogs (and cats) will be healthier on those foods, and that will, in-turn, decrease the revenues from their businesses. I have a hard time stomaching that ideaology; however, it may be true in some instances. I am not surprised that your vet (the non-holisitic one) was opposed to a raw meat-based diet. I think that it is possible, but very difficult to find a raw meat-based diet that really is GOOD and COMPLETELY SAFE.

Because of all the potential diseases from raw diets, it is something that many people, some vets included, may never feel good about. I did some thorough research a few weeks ago about raw meat diets and read a great article that, honestly, scared me. But again, there are some great raw meat diets out there. I would feel a little more comfortable feeding my girls a raw meat diet that was dehydrated or freeze-dried rather than in the actual raw form. Reason being is that the dehydration and freeze-drying processes excrude most, if not all, of the moisture from the meat, which is where the bacterium harbor.

We switched our 3 girls to a vet who is not completely and entirely 'holistic,' but does implement naturopathic interventions whenever possible and does sell holistic products. Some pertinent questions to ask this vet that you are considering would be: A) what foods do you recommend and why B) what is your stand on vaccinations and what types of vaccinations do you offer (some holistic vets believe that not all vaccines are necessary or healthy) C) what amount of protein, fat, & fiber he/she recommends for your dog(s).

You asked how to find a holistic vet. Well, they are quite sparse; however, more and more are entering into practice, fortunately. The internet would be my first source. But remember, the smaller the city you live in, the less likely there is to be a holistic vet, as you may need to seek out a larger city nearby, if possible. My second source would be going to a natural food pet store (if you have one) and asking someone who works there.

The biggest difference between the two types of vets is simply their philosophy in how to medically and nutritionally take care of animals. For instance, a holistic vet in Arizona would prefer to treat various bacterial infections with herbal remedies rather than chemically-based antibiotics and a holistic vet would recommend 'natural' pet foods like Azmira, Solid Gold, etc. rather than Eukanuba, Iams, Science Diet, etc.

Does this answer your questions?
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldens4Ever
Today, I read on another thread that too much protein can cause liver damage...? What is the most protein a 65-70 lb. dog should consume in one day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancesMom
I think that there is some debate over whether or not a dog can consume too much protien if he is otherwise looking and acting healthy. I do not know enough about it to be able to get in on that debate...
OntarioGreys posted new info that says that high protein doesn't affect anything (we all thought it was bad before). And even seniors benefit more from higher protein diets than low protein diets.
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I think that it is possible, but very difficult to find a raw meat-based diet that really is GOOD and COMPLETELY SAFE.

Because of all the potential diseases from raw diets, it is something that many people, some vets included, may never feel good about. I did some thorough research a few weeks ago about raw meat diets and read a great article that, honestly, scared me. But again, there are some great raw meat diets out there. I would feel a little more comfortable feeding my girls a raw meat diet that was dehydrated or freeze-dried rather than in the actual raw form. Reason being is that the dehydration and freeze-drying processes excrude most, if not all, of the moisture from the meat, which is where the bacterium harbor.
Goldens4ever...
Since you posted this in another thread, let me re-post my reply to your above remarks...

until you have actually FED a raw diet to your dogs for years, and have met others who do the same, and have frequented raw-feeding forums where thousands of members and hundreds of vets not only endorse the diet but also feed their pets such a diet with brilliant results for decades... then I suggest you not comment on something you have no knowledge about except from "readings on the internet". we all have our differences of opinions but it makes no sense to give an opinion on something you haven't tried yourself - right?

I won't get into the debate about "What did all the dog owners do before the advent of multi-million dollar dog food companies dogs through the milleniums ate what is natural for carnivores, raw meat, bones and organs". You can believe and feed what you want to your dogs, just please do not discourage others from feeding a raw diet just because *YOU* are afraid to try it

Now if anyone wants PROPER info on this very safe, very correct way of feeding your cats & dogs, just ask us folks who know what they're doing and we'll be glad to give fact-based, experienced advice.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldens4Ever
I think that it is possible, but very difficult to find a raw meat-based diet that really is GOOD and COMPLETELY SAFE.
I think the thing that starts to become clear once one starts doing some research into various diets for their animals, is that none are completely safe. I certainly wouldn't call a lot of kibbles safe, as the long and short term effects on your pets health can be terrible.

Are there possible risks to feeding a raw diet ? Certainly, but so are there risks to any diet, so I think it is up to each individual to look at all the options, consider the potential risks and benefits and do what works for them.

Personally, I home cook my dog's meals and occaionally supplement with raw foods. I'll probably never go back to kibble as homemade or raw diets make more sense to me and my dogs do far better than on any kibble I have found. I know people who feed high quality kibble and their dogs are in great shape, others who feed a totally raw diet and have never had any problems. I think the point is making informed choices rather than just depending on the advice of one or two sources they may be ill informed or have their own agenda.
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Wow. I certainly was NOT discouraging anyone from implementing a raw meat-base diet. I stated that I read things that scared me, but also stated that there are some good ones out there. If you look more closely at how I chose my words, it should be evident that I was simply stating why some vets (and people) MAY be against them. I, in no way, shape, or form, stated that they should be avoided. I also did not state that dry kibble is completely safe and is the best alternative. I did not adovcate for any particular 'type' of food. I am sorry that you got that impression. Look more closely at what I said:

[I][/I
"Because of all the potential diseases from raw diets, it is something that many people, some vets included, may never feel good about. I did some thorough research a few weeks ago about raw meat diets and read a great article that, honestly, scared me. But again, there are some great raw meat diets out there. I would feel a little more comfortable feeding my girls a raw meat diet that was dehydrated or freeze-dried rather than in the actual raw form."

Where in there did I state that raw meat diets should be avoided???
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
The only difference really between a well-fed dog on a raw diet and a badly-fed dog on a raw diet is knowledge.

How many kibble feeders don't have a clue of what they're feeding? How many would really feed their dogs a corn food if they knew what that meant?

Whether it's raw or kibble, nothing is entirely safe. Even if we REALLY did have a kibble that was 100% properly balanced for a dog, certain dogs might digest it differently and not get all the nutrients and end up deficient anyway.
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:39 PM

Thank you for the information on the holistic vet.

I am really glad that I found this group!
Old September 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
LOVER OF AKITA'S

[QUOTE=technodoll] dogs are not seniors at age 6, but rather at age 12. yet you see 6-yr old dogs exhibiting arthritis, loss of muscle tone, obesity, diabeties, fatty growths, cancer, dull flaky coats, etc [QUOTE]

Hi Technodoll,

I was told by someone at a pet store(employee) that my boy was a senior in late 2004, he was about 5 years then. I was shocked and quite taken aback. She said that about 5-6 years old dogs are considered seniors. I dunno but I believe that this is a bunch of crap.

Anyways I used to feed my boy Nutros Lamb and Rice, but then he started having some rear end issues. His hips were really giving him some problems and the vet told me that he did not have great muscle tone in his rear. I of course felt guilty and believed it was something that I was doing wrong. He gets lots of walks but doesn't get to run much as he will take off and he is aggressive with other dogs so he is always on a leash when we go to a park. Fortunately the new place we moved into in February has lots of space and no close neighbours so he has had alot more freedom to run and get more exercise.

When the pet store woman told me he was a senior I switched him to Nutros Large Breed Senior Formula. He seems to have reacted very well to this change. He has had no problems in the hips that I have noticed (it was real bad with him screaming the pain). I am just hoping that it was a issue that was not caused by a human, I sometimes fear that he may have been kicked.

Although he seems to be doing well I have begun to investigate and read the posts on thid site about alternatives to the kibble or some thing to add to his diet along side the kibble.

Nevada
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Followup on Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies Man
I feed Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul.

It's okay. But seems to give my dog farts. And lots of poop. I got the big bag, so she's going to be eating it for a while, but when it gets down to the bottom third of the bag, I'll get her something else. Not happy about the farts, it indicates that there's indigestible filler in there.

Angie eats it, I don't get the impression that it tastes really good to her tho, probably more boring than anything else. It is left plain in her bowl, and she can eat as much as she feels the need for.

Supplemented with yogurt, some homemade doggy chicken soup, a little popcorn (when I'm having some,) and some fairly hard dog bisquits.
Well, it's 7 weeks later, the big bag lasted that long. And thankfully , we're down to about a two day supply. Angie is now just over 5 months old, in the 35 pound range on weight--and has grown some in the past 2 months. She seems right on target for weight--certainly not skinny at all.

The dog food seems to be okay, she doesn't seem to love it like she does the fancy botique-y dog food samples, but she eats it. It makes lots of poop! And lots of farts! And tomorrow, we're going to get some OTHER dog food--some of the fancy schmancy stuff from the doggy botique!

Cold weather is on it's way, I can't live with the doors wide open to air out the dog fart smell!!!!
Old September 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Learning fast

We have switched to Canidae, why? because I don't think we have any allergies, the ingredients were acceptable and the price is favourable for a large dog, what ever we were going to use it wasn't going to continue being Iams. He isn't overly excited about it but I think I'm feeling that way because he was eating 2-3 bowlfuls before (2 cups per bowl) and now he's eating roughly half, things were going well, poops getting smaller untill on a playdate last week he polished off another dogs bowl of Actrium, he liked it but were suffering a set back in the poo dept. but all in all he's taken to it well, and my neighbour who was away for a week commented on his look and she thought he seemed 'fuller'. So were going to continue and see where we go with all this information. I am slowly coming around to finding out it's not what I want but what is a good product and what Riley will happily eat. I think if we have a better year next year we will certainly think about raw but this year we have just about enough to cover ourselves.