Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Closed Thread

Old March 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM

I had a dog named Chico once when i was a girl....he was a boy too....I will try and remember that you a ma'am!
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think time is of the esssence, kelly, the longer Brew stays with his new family, the more they will become attached to him. I don't believe that we can instantly truly love, unlike caring and liking, it takes time to bond.

Did you say the shelter kept him for only 3 days and put him up for adoption, even though he came from out of town??

I wonder what other shelters' policy is on previous owners looking for their dogs.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
I dont mean to be a meanie and i understand the heartbrake invovled Im just a little miffed that it seems that Kelly will do anything to get Brew back

all right I said my I hope you do get Brew back but i also hope that his new owners dont get too heartbroken also
Also, big meanie Jim, what if Brew is missing his family horribly? This should be about what is best for Brew.

I know you are not really a meanie

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM

The policy here is they have to keep the pet for 5 days before they can adopt him out...
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Bring Brew Home

You are receiving conflicting answers from the shelter (ac brought the dog in, there was no ac employed at that time) so what to believe! You need to have an insider contact at this shelter who could look at the records if any were kept or someone who could volunteer to work at the shelter for you and they could access the records. If I were in your shoes I think I might hire a PI, they have ways/methods of uncovering the truth.
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Kelly,you must be beyond frustrated and sad about Brew,somebody must be able to help you
What if the shelter is lying,I hate to think so,but have you seen any kind of proof he was adopted??
What about the police,could they do something to help out??
I think I would go bonkers if I knew my dog was alive,but I cannot get to him
for some good news soon
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Well here's the scoop. I just got back from discussing this matter with the SPCA in Brandon face to face. I also spoke to the old AC agent that left the position in Jan yesterday. The AC agent (he was very nice btw) says that someone picked Brew up and called him. Eventhough he was no longer the AC agent he made one last trip with Brew to the shelter. How it works here is everytime a trip is made a ticket is done up and handed in at town hall so he can get payed for his time and mileage. As of yesterday he still had not handed in the ticket so when i called town hall they had no record of a dog being sent to the shelter. There was absolutely no way for me to know where Brew was. After our talk he called the shelter on my behalf. My husband dropped by the shelter yesterday and they tried to tell him that Brew was in bad condition when he was brought in so the AC agent called and made sure that was cleared up because that wasen't the case at all. When i went to the shelter today I was met by someone that told me that i didn't have a leg to stand on and that the new owners have no intention on returning Brew to us. My concern is that at this moment the only person talking to them on our behalf is this gentleman and i get the clear feeling that he really doesn't want us to have him because it would make the shelter look bad. I told him that he was acting on the best interest of the shelter and not the animal by these statements and he laughed at that. He really doesn't see my Brew as having a say or having feelings. As angry as I was I kept my cool and assured him that the error was not at the shelter that the error was in my town and that's where my legs were. So he said well maybe i'll get some $$ out of the town then. I DON'T WANT MONEY! I want my Brew. Anyways he's going to talk to the new owners this weekend and let them know more to the story but i have absolutely no faith in this guy. I was rather insulted at this point. I really don't want to go to court because it's such a long drawn out process and the longer he's with them the more they'll get attached and the more i'm going to feel like the bad guy in the end. Where do i draw the line is my dilemma. On the way home i had to pick up some cat food and looked at the dog food area and started balling. A grown woman balling in the middle of the pet food isle. Fantabulous.
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww KellyI can so understand how you feel,this is absolutely not right.
This man is making a mockery out of your love for Brew.there must be someone higher up on the ladder to talk to
that someone will understand what this is doing to your family..
I am going to try to write this shelter,yes,I'll be civil..do you have an address or website for this sheter?

Last edited by chico2; March 15th, 2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Kelly the SPCA must answer to someone. I know sometimes they are run by the cities or municipalities. This guy is obviously not looking out for Brew! is there a city rep you can go to?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If the new owners will not consider the feelings that Brew may be missing his pack, then I would be worried about their knowledge of dogs.

Don't know if legally you have a leg to stand on, because shelters have to be able to adopt out found animals without fear of lawsuit as I am sure you can understand. I think you need to appeal to the new owners.

SPCA's report to their provincial office, Humane Societies have a board that they report to. I don't think they are connected to any level of gov't.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
banned user

I am just appalled at this situation. Have you been able to get a newspaper to do a human interest story on this?
I just can't imagine how angry and upset you must be knowing these people can make it right for Brew.
It sounds like the AC that didn't turn his ticket in is the one at fault and the town there should be doing something to help you.
There must be something we can do to help. Can we write to the shelter with our feelings of outrage, write to the local paper there...
Something has to be done quickly before the new people fall in love with Brew...maybe you could offer to get them a new purebred puppy.
Just let me know if there is anything, anything at all we can do as a collective group to try and make this situation right.
You did all the things that you were supposed to do to try and find Brew and the AC guy is the one who screwed up...someone needs to be accountable.
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly,maybe we can shake up their concience
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM

I never thought of that...they must report to City Hall...I'll contact them after i hear from the shelter dude....i'm not expecting anything out of that though...The town here is bring the issue up at the next meeting so i guess we'll see....I suppose if the town represented me to city hall it would be better...I believe the shelter believes their hands are tied and the shelter cannot get involved but it's like I said to him, he's the only one that knows who has Brew and if he's not willing to release that info the ball's in his court but he's definately not the person to be representing me because for him his shelter is first and foremost, he made that quite clear...I don't agree with that either, people like that should not be in those positions, he's said that this type of issue has happened at this shelter repeatedly and that no one's ever gotten their pet back....This has got to be some kind of scurge on the City! I pleaded and cried with him but I may as well have been talking to a parrot with a limited vocabulary he just kept blurting out the same sentences with no room for adjustment...oh don't worry i'm not giving up the ship yet....yes i've contacted all means of communication here but still haven't heard or seen anything on the radio or newspapers....next week if the new owners still won't talk the posters and an ad in the paper will break out...Plus i'm taking this town to the next level...if they don't deal with me as a member of the community they'll deal with me as the new AC agent....the shelter's website is below and you'll notice it is a great site...missing are any notes on area of responsibility, according to this site they service Brandon....what it doesn't say are all the communities within an approx 70km radius of the city....imagine all the pets being delivered here without any clue to the owners...pets not only being adopted out but being put down anytime after 5 days of seisure...and that was thrown at me yesterday as well....like i was lucky....i suppose i was....

http://www.brandonhumanesociety.ca/

remember it was our family's responsibility to keep Brew home...the problem I have is the tools to help the owner find their pet were missing and out of my control...that is the basis of my arguement...
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:53 PM
banned user

Kelly I don't know what value it will be but I sent my 2 worth in to the SPCA.
I just hope this doesn't take a long time..getting Brew back where he belongs is the main goal.
I just can't imagine the adopting family not understanding that there was an error at the municipal level that prevented you from finding Brew.
Just keep pursuing it Kelly, never give up, never give up hope...
maybe we should take up a petition or something....
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Shirley,as did I,hopefully if he realizes this is not going away,maybe he will relent and change his mind.
I do feel for the adoptive family,but Brew belongs with Kelly and her family.
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Owned by goldens

Bring Brew home

Have you consulted a lawyer? Sometimes a lawyers letter works wonders.
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:06 PM

I do have a lawyer and she's very good but i'm not quick to take that route...I really would rather resolve this otherwise...But i do think after this week that my options will be exhausted and i will have to get her on it....unfortunately....This has all been so exhausting because during all this i'm still trying to recover from spinal surgery from 2 weeks ago....If i do get the opportunity to speak to these owners i will offer a new puppy from the same breeder i got Brew from...maybe that will help
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly27 View Post
he's said that this type of issue has happened at this shelter repeatedly and that no one's ever gotten their pet back
I think this is a great point to bring up at the town meeting to see if something can be done about the management of the HS

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Senior Contributor

"Reply to my letter:While every person has the right to their opinion and the right to express it, I would strongly recommend that a person gather all of the correct information before making a judgement.

The Brandon Humane Society: SPCA and Animal Shelter was not involved with the dog you are referring to. To the best of my knowledge, the Carberry Animal Control picked up this dog and he eventually ended up in the Brandon City Pound.

That being said, I would ask that you please gather all the facts before you make statements about any terrible examples of wrongdoing at this or any other shelter."

Thank You Hayley Gregory

o This was the reply I got from Brandon HS,obviously I wrote to the wrong place

Last edited by chico2; March 17th, 2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM

For God's sake, what is WRONG with this shelter? It's not like Brew was sitting there all sad for weeks with no hope of being found by his owners ar anything, it was only a few days, right? These jackasses are really starting to piss me off, especially that jerk who told you that the fam has no intention of giving Brew up.
I might regret this statement, but it's not like this is a child adoption agency or something, it's a DOG. Why the secrecy and scheming? Why is it SO important to this shelter that they cover up for the family? They've possibly made a mistake somewhere, but I'm sure they won't get a fine or anything for just trying to do their job, which technically they are not even doing at this point by not helping out the dog itself instead of covering their asses for no reason.
Maybe Hayley Gregory should have "gathered all the facts" before giving this dog up to a hasty adoption. Shouldn't they at least have posted a pic of him on their website or something? For at least a day or two to make the effort to alert the original owner of the dog.
Kelly - do what you have to do for the next day or so, but after you've tried, take legal action against this shelter, FORCE them to tell you where Brew is.
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Gianna's Mommy

People like that guy at the shelter should not work with animals. Doesn't he realize that we are all human and we make mistakes. He has no compassion. You need compassion to work with animals!!!!! Or even humans! We all deserve a second chance! I know this may be a little crazy, but if i were in your shoes and lost my beloved girl. i would be knocking on every door in that town telling them my story. Hoping that someone would know the people who had the dog or maybe you'll find the new owners. I would also be snooping in backyards seeing if my dog was there. I'm a little crazy, but theres nothing i wouldn't do for this dog. If i lived there by you, i would go door to door for you. I'd also go to the shelter and give them a piece of my mind.
Maybe you should just consult with your lawyer, see if there is anything she can do. It can't hurt.
Also, when you do get your Brew back, have the vet put one of those chips in the dog. That way if for any reason this happens again (b/c we are humans and we're not perfect) The shelter can scan the dog for the chip and this will never ever happen again.
I am so sorry this is happening to your family. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Brew is registered,so he either has a tattoo or a chip,or even both.

My suggestion to you is get tough now.Contact your lawyer,and please contact your breeder and let the breeder know what has happened(if you haven't already)..Have the breeder call the SPCA and get involved.I would even get the media involved and the paper involved.Let them know what happened and that the SPCA will not call the new adopters to tell them that you have been searching for Brew.

Also,you do not have to offer them a new pup from your breeder.Brew is YOUR dog.

Good luck.Don't give up.
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Kitty pimp

Brew is registered,so he either has a tattoo or a chip,or even both.

SO the shelter could have contacted the breeder

SI this coorect that brew is tattoed and chipped
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I will contact the breeder today and find out if he's got a chip because I know he doesn't have a tatoo...I did ask the shelter if they have a scanner for chips and he said he did but he didn't think much of them because he said they tend to move and more times than not he can't find them....I swear to god that's what he said I just looked at my husband and shook my head....the breeder will be contacted to my dismay, I feel I really let him down....I never got Brew chipped but now i wish i had...don't know if it would have helped here because i get the feeling this guy doesn't like to use his scanner anyways...I know absolutely nothing about breeding or whether or not a tattoo or chip is required for registration with the AKC, all i know is i wanted a border collie because up to this point i'd had a Border Collie mix named Gigi and she was a fabulous dog (I got her at the shelter) Brew was someone my son could attach himself to when it came time to let Gigi go to rest....Question: Does tatooing hurt a dog? Because when all this is resolved I will be bringing both my dogs in for either a chip or a tatoo(I also have a toy poodle (Bino) we call him Brew's chew toy)....I guess I never thought I'd ever be put in this position...I knew I was always at risk of having someone steal him but felt if found I could always proove he was mine anyways and let's face it chips only assist honest thieves...Remember Brew was taken last summer by a family that decided to remove his collar and tags and tried to claim him as their own...I only got him back because i found them walking him here in town. I never got his collar back that time but that's easy to replace. A chip wouldn't help in that instance. I should have considered if he ever got caught without his tags...I relied on them too heavily....you can bet your booties I'm a Chip advocate now...
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Gianna's Mommy

Even though I'm not really liking the shelter guy, but he's a little right....... I got my dog and she was chipped already (well thats what the pet store said) I had taken her many times to many different vets (due to her sickness) and no one could find her chip. They do move. But any good shelter should know that they do and scan the whole body of the dog. Finally I moved and had to take my dog to a new Vet, and I just happened to ask them about my chip And they found it. So they do still work, just in a different spot.

But i would also like to know about the tattoo. Doesn't it hurt. I have 6 tattoos, and they all hurt. I would hate to do that to my dog. She wouldn't know what was going on, i could just imagine her face as they were doing it. (I actually think its kind of evil to do, but thats just my opinion)
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Kelly,is that right that Brew was at the Brandon Pound,not the HS??/
Have you got an address where we could write the pound??
Obviously the Brandon HS is not willing to help:sad:
I know we all have to go on,no matter what,but you must be absolutely frantic,I can imagine how you feel.
We are upset and it's not even our dog...

Last edited by chico2; March 17th, 2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Oh boy you're gonna luv this answer...the shelter and the pound are located in the same building so i don't know why they responded the way they did...basically the pound animals are held at one side of the building and the shelter and kennel dogs at the other....when i was there on Fri I was facing the sign outside that said Brandon Pound....I'm starting to wonder what they have to hide....I'm going to direct the president of the board of directors to this website right now....I cannot believe that response....i assure you Shane is the gentleman at the shelter that i've been talking to and he is the one that knows where Brew is!
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Oh and I just spoke to my breeder, he doesn't blame me and hopes the best for me. I feel just horrible Jonathon i'm so sorry, I say that because i directed him here...no he doesn't have a chip it wasen't a requirement...he brought up a valid point though...he wonders if through the lack of assistance in this matter if they haven't possibly benefitted somehow and maybe sold him or adopted him to a friend....I never though of that and I will continue to believe they haven't because this is already so overwhelming i can't let my imagination take over....If you go to a search engine on the net and type in Brandon Pound the same site comes up....i believe you are at the correct site....thank you for your support....
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM

I left a phone message for the president of the board of directors for this shelter to go to this sight...I also called the old AC guy here in Carberry and confirmed he DID bring him to Shane at the SHELTER....so they're lying...nuff said...I think i'll contact the vice president now....

Last edited by Kelly27; March 17th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Gianna's Mommy

It may be time to call your lawyer!! It does sound to me they may have benefited from your doggy. Evil, evil people! How can they sleep at night knowing you and your family are sooo upset. Thats why sometimes I like dogs better than people. Dogs will never betray you!!!
Closed Thread