Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

View Poll Results: What kind of food do you feed your dog/cat? Private, unichoice
My dog gets mostly raw. 8 19.51%
My cat gets mostly raw. 1 2.44%
My dog/cat gets raw and kibble, but not mostly raw. 1 2.44%
Holistic kibble (Innova, Solid Gold, Nature's Variety, Wellness, etc) 12 29.27%
Commercial kibble (Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, ProPlan, Science Diet, Hill's, Royal Canin) 3 7.32%
Holistic kibble with some add-ons (canned, raw, cooked, yogurt, etc) 13 31.71%
Commercial kibble with add-ons. 1 2.44%
My pet gets home-cooked or holistic canned food. 2 4.88%
My pet gets commercial canned food. 0 0%
My answer is not here but I put it below, unless I'm shy, then you'll never know what it is. 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 28th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Remembering Lukka

Holistic Kibble.
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Boss-lady!

Canidae and Felidae, with lots of add-ons like yogurt and canned salmon, as well as raw fruits and veggies for the dogs. Dancer-cat is pretty much kibble only; there's not too much other food she will eat. She loves tomato based stuff, green peppers and shrimp though. I got her from a friend's front porch and there was an Italian restaurant, a roadhouse/bar and a Chinese food place nearby, so I think she was dumpster fed for awhile (poor girl :sad: ). Not so long ago, I had that confirmed a bit more, since she nearly took my husband's hand off for a piece of spicy pepperoni! Normally, she'll only take a piece or two of people food and no more. Not with the pepperoni! She would gladly have kept eating it but I was afraid of what the grease might do to her. And she shared a cheeseburger with me a few days after that.

Maybe it's time to try her on a different kibble....

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Flyball Mom

I mix, holistic, non-holistic, and add ons (eggs, cheese, veggies, etc). I can't afford straight holistic, so I do my best to give her what I can.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:52 PM
-

I clicked holistic kibble but should have clicked holistic kibble with add-ons.

The dogs get just Innova in the morning and Innova with plain organic yogurt at night sometimes with a small amount of leftover meat and veggies.

The cats have Innova kibble available 24/7 and share a medium size can of wet food every day.
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
-

Oops ~ forgot to note that my gang also get yoghurt, eggs & their shells in powdered form, powdered kelp & alfafa, veggies, bones, canned and fresh (cooked) fish, canned or frozen tripe, just peanuts peanut butter, dried sweet potato chewies. Bridie is a fiend for watermelon, Declan for whatever reason loves soda crackers ~ though he doesn't get too many cuz he doesn't need the salt or the carbs and Ceili loves cheese ~ but not too much or we're "on the run". Once a month they get an eggs n' bacon Sunday breakfast and every so often I'll break down and buy them some stewing beef for a raw meal (and then live with the buttblasters for a few days from Declan and Ceili ). Needless to say, they love their Sunday breakfasts and beef dinners the best. And I make all their treats.
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Oops ~ forgot to note that my gang also get yoghurt, eggs & their shells in powdered form, powdered kelp & alfafa, veggies, bones, canned and fresh (cooked) fish, canned or frozen tripe, just peanuts peanut butter, dried sweet potato chewies. Bridie is a fiend for watermelon, Declan for whatever reason loves soda crackers ~ though he doesn't get too many cuz he doesn't need the salt or the carbs and Ceili loves cheese ~ but not too much or we're "on the run". Once a month they get an eggs n' bacon Sunday breakfast and every so often I'll break down and buy them some stewing beef for a raw meal (and then live with the buttblasters for a few days from Declan and Ceili ). Needless to say, they love their Sunday breakfasts and beef dinners the best. And I make all their treats.
Yummmmm..........I wanna live at your house!!!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Rottie owner and lover

DVP natural balance in the morning, and raw at night.....Back to doing good again, except still alittle soft....in time...in time
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:08 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Innova with add on's canned fish and eggs.
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Owned by goldens

I feed my dogs Canidae (recent switch) still mourning the Wolf King changes
I feed my fosters Eagle Pack Holistic. Before that I fed them Royal Canin, Holistic food. The reason being is that these foods are easily found at Mondou and when someone adopts a dog from me it is easier for them to find the same food. This way they can continue feeding the same thing (no upset tummies) or buy a bag and slowly do a switch to what they want to feed.

Forget about trying to find Canidae or Solid Gold around here.

By the way I don't think anyone should be embarassed to admit what they are feeding. We do what we can with what we know and what we can afford. Just because you can't afford a holistic kibble does not mean you should not own a pet. What bothers me most is when I hear that people are paying outrageous prices for foods that are poor in quality. Foods that may have been recommended by a breeder or vet.
That is when I tell them they could do better.
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:09 AM
Owned by goldens

feeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandynva View Post
Yeah, or strictly table scraps! I knew someone once who regularly ran out of dog food and cat food, couldn't afford more and would feed her animals leftovers, spaghetti, etc...
I know a lady who did this. Her dog was so fat he made a coffee table look small. It was disgusting, the dog could hardly move. That is abuse in my opinion.
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

MIne are all raw. The foster dogs stay on what they came on so as not to upset their tummy along with their minds. I always make sure to tell the adoptive families that the better quality food they feed the better for the animals and less they scoop. Crap in crap out and that a higher quality food does not necessarily mean a lot more cost as you feed significantly less.
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
By the way I don't think anyone should be embarassed to admit what they are feeding. We do what we can with what we know and what we can afford. Just because you can't afford a holistic kibble does not mean you should not own a pet. What bothers me most is when I hear that people are paying outrageous prices for foods that are poor in quality. Foods that may have been recommended by a breeder or vet.
That is when I tell them they could do better.
I totally agree. Don't feel bad. My goal is just to make sure everybody knows what they're feeding. I mean, we know fatty things are bad for us, but we eat them anyway, but it's a choice at that point.

And yes, letting your dog become a super super fat doggy is abuse, IMO, unless there's some real medical reason for it..
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldnt care either Frenchy what anyone thought either,what you do is great and who can do rescue and afford to buy mass quantities of food that is really expensive,well maybe some people can,but who cares...And i have said it before, my mom had to dachunds the first was Fritz who lived to 17 and lived on store bought dog food,then Max who lived til 15 and also didnt eat top of the line food.Then her cat Fancy she has now is i think 17 still going strong,she eats Fancy Feast.......
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Honest Contributor

yes purina is better than nothing... marginally.

sorry i can't be a hypocrite and agree with what most of you think, when deep down i loathe the thought of *any* animal eating that garbage. i just can't, so.... yeah. we'll have to agree to disagree on this topic

ps: there are better foods than purina, iams etc for only a little bit more money. it's a matter of principle IMO. "Don't give a red cent to those stinking mega-corporations".

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:

Last edited by technodoll; January 31st, 2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old January 31st, 2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey i agree i dont want my pet eating crap either,but honestly back then there was not so much hype on great dog or cat foods..And i just wanted to say that just because your pet doesnt eat these spendy foods doesnt nessacarily mean they are gonna be sickly or unhealthy,my parents pets never were.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
ps: there are better foods than purina, iams etc for only a little bit more money. it's a matter of principle IMO. "Don't give a red cent to those stinking mega-corporations".
I am not feeding Purina nor Iams, and even so, I'm sure the dogs I take out from the pound because they're due to be put down couldn't care less what I feed them. I see more expensive food than what I feed and it's full of corn and by product. Mine doesn't and I'm satisfied with that. I've seen lots of rescues who were fed crap food like you call it but they were loved and taking good care of. They never had any health problem and one of them is now 10 years old and is doing agility. So sorry, I just choose to put my effort elsewhere. And it would be nice if you would respect that.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:30 PM

To me, corn and wheat and all that is fine if that's all you can afford (well, not fine, but you know what I mean... not disgustingly horrible). But there is no excuse for feeding "meat meal" or "meat by-products". That is just... well.. animal abuse, really.

Then again, that brings me back to the whole "as long as you know what you're feeding" thing. Most people who feed "animal" have no idea.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that is really kind of mean to say,if you guys are aiming that at Frenchy,not every pet can eat raw meat,and fresh cut vegatables or whatever you guys call it here,.there are plenty of well taken care of animals in this world that eat as put here "crap" food.And not sure if i did see that but did someone say it is like 'animal abuse" that is just really starting to be a little ridicoulous and well friggin mean......I can name a million other things an animal can go through that is abuse then eating Purina or whatever.God you guys can be harsh,nice to be so wealthy...................
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:55 PM
Honest Contributor

prin i agree... you just say it better than i do

frenchy: i don't mean any disrespect, you should know me better than that :love: hats off to anyone who rescues! i am just saying that those low-down companies who actually *make* shoddy foods like you see bursting off the supermarket shelves will never get any support from me, ever, no matter how cute and "dog-friendly" they make themselves appear. because they're not. they just have clever marketing people, they don't give a crap about cats and dogs, because if they did they wouldn't make foods with disgusting industry waste (ie recycled animals and rotten body parts).

I personally cannot fanthom that anyone who loves their pet would willingly feed this to them (meaning: they know what the ingredients mean, they know what they are feeding is crap, yet they choose to feed it, you know?). I think most people do not know, they fall for the clever marketing hype and vet's recommendations and they think they are doing well by their animals. that's a different story.

That's what i meant by my original comment was: who on this "let's educate about food!" forum would willingly feed crappy purina food, while being aware of alternate choices, but choosing none? i mean if someone can afford a computer and internet connection to come here in the first place... you ain't that poor (not you frenchy! LOL i am just generalizing here)

and for the record, i'd sell my furniture and run up debt to feed my dogs if I had to. but no frickin way would they ever eat crap from walmart or any supermarket shelf

Old January 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM

Exactly. And Frenchy shouldn't feel bad because she went out of her way to learn, and isn't feeding a food with any mystery meat or even any corn in it. So to me that's better than 90% of people out there already.
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Well i for one have no computer at home, and where i live it isnt the easiest to get good pet food,but i spent $40.00 on shipping just so i could start feeding her good food,but when we first took her in we had no choice but to go to the grocery store and buy the animal abuse food,or wait should we have spent $20.00 on a piece of fresh fish everyday instead!! I do not shop any longer for myself,so i can take care of my kitten the best way i can,as i should since we took her in,but she was eating abuse food the first month at least and yeah i dont know what her insides look like but she sure looks,feels and acts like a very healty growing kitten.So this makes Frenchy someone who is cruel to animals?????
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prin
And Frenchy shouldn't feel bad because she went out of her way to learn, and isn't feeding a food with any mystery meat or even any corn in it. So to me that's better than 90% of people out there already
true! for frenchy!

heidiho... chill out, man!

Old January 31st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, so you can go on and on about affording computers and how you would sell your furniture,good for you,but i go on and on about you guys being kind of mean about the whole food thing and i need to chill out,why dont you chill out about it to!!
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:21 PM
Honest Contributor

yes dear

Old January 31st, 2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

whatever honey
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I have stayed out of this for the most part. But I wanted to add:

Heidi they weren't directing anything to Frenchy. For one thing Frenchy doesn't feed the crap food, and they know that, so the comments about the crap food is really directed at people that don't know any better, that think that what they are doing is the right thing due to the advertising campaigns that the crap companies use.

Not all supermarket brands are all that bad. The Costco brand of dog food, the lamb and rice one is not that bad, so when you are going to feed a brand such as that, as long as you look at the ingredients to see what is best, than that is all that matters, imo
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Honest Contributor

exactly what hunter's owner said... i can't help but cringe everytime i see an ad on the telly for "beneful" and people fall for it, they trust that they are being told the truth. THAT is what makes me so upset... the lies. :sad: (costo doesn't advertise their food and like HO said, some of their formulas have decent ingredients at least)

Old January 31st, 2007, 07:32 PM

Heidiho, Costco's kirkland brand (what Frenchy is feeding) is 1000000x better than anything on the shelves at Walmart. Walmart foods, like Ol'Roy are the ones with "animal meal", and mystery "meat". I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by "meat". I mean the food has dogs and cats in it. But those are the $7/40lbs foods.
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Well maybe we just read them and took it two different ways...But either way it seems kind of harsh to say" how can you say you love your pet if you feed them food that isnt the best of the best,".

Last edited by heidiho; January 31st, 2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho View Post
And not sure if i did see that but did someone say it is like 'animal abuse" that is just really starting to be a little ridicoulous and well friggin mean......I can name a million other things an animal can go through that is abuse then eating Purina or whatever.God you guys can be harsh,nice to be so wealthy...................
When I mentioned animal abuse it was because I knew someone who fed her dog table scraps and lots of them. The dog became extremely fat and that is what I said was abuse. Just wanted to set that straight.