Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old February 15th, 2009, 02:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I sure don't see any aggressive body posture in the pics, onster. And that last one of the leaning... well...

You'll be fine. He's gonna love you. Confident step and voice on your part. Let him lean on you--even put his paws up if you don't mind it and he doesn't get overexcited.

You'll see the signs if he's not comfortable with you coming in--you'll see the tension, the hackles will go up, the eyes will look intense. My feeling, though, is that he's going to see you, recognize your scent and turn into a big goof trying to invite you inside the fence to play with him.

If at some point he gets too excited and you need to get outside the fence, use a confident step to get there, even if you're backing away because he's climbing up to lick your face. He might be unmannered but he doesn't look aggressive to me.

I think your friend is just afraid of animals. Did she come inside the fence with you? How did he react to her?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM

Most likely he was following you because he wanted to go with you or didn't want you to leave if he is used to some human interaction but not always on a consistant basis, he's wanting as much as he can get when available.

and many for the sick kidlet

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Ok so I have a confession When I wanted to get out and diezel was following me so closely I was getting worried that hed get shocked as he got closer and then get mad at me or get upset we were leaving him alone and be forceful with me so I threw him one last stick and... ran
Okay! Well that strategy worked!!! And it was very nice of you to spare him the shock...because he likely would have followed you as far as he could stand it. Just be warned, he knows that trick now and may not fall for it again. But I doubt that he'll blame you for the shock--it's not like he doesn't know that it happens when he gets close to the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
My friend is a good person, really. She is just petrified. The last time she was in alone with him she peed her pants when he jumped on her and screamed like no tomorrow (she told me today). So yeah...its just a fear she cant get over. She was almost at the point of tears today begging me not to go in the gate because she was scared for me.

So I guess that answered my question about how he reacts to her.

If he's that good-natured with a person who is exuding fear from every pore, then he's a wonderful dog

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for all the advice guys

Growler
, the kid is very very sick :sad: She has a really bad case of pneumonia but she also was born without control over her muscles and such so she cant cough which makes it so much worse because she cant get the gunk out of her chest :sad: Its very sad. She was only given a few months to live when she was born but she is now 6 yrs old...personally i cant really go visit although my mom does. It upsets me too much, so I thought feeding diezel so hubby can be with my friend and his daughter during this time was the least I can do.

Dangit hazel the old stick thing would work for a cat everytime!! lol i hope he doesnt get wise I asked my friend if he barks when she comes alone and she said no. She said she used to play with him when he was a baby but then when he got bigger she got too scared too. She pets Onnie and Bunduk when she comes over but only their backs and if they so much as move their heads or anything she jerks her hand away really fast "omg they were gonna bite me". She prefers I hold Bunduk and give her his rear end to pet lol

Ok guys im gonna take all ure advice and be a good strong doggie feeder (but hopefully doggie doesnt eat me ) hahaha

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Doggie won't eat you. Might try to chap you but won't eat you.

That's so sad about the little girl. :sad: I hope they can get her better again!

Old February 15th, 2009, 02:53 AM

:sad: so sad for the little girl & her family

Toss a treat next time

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

For the little one
Onster,I think a lot of people leave their dogs outside and say they are guard-dogs,they are not trained to attack,but will naturally bark if someone approaches,it does not make him aggressive.
Fate will bark and woo-woo at me when I come with treats,she too has not really been trained and will jump on me,but with tail wagging.

I think Diezel just gets lonely and wants your company,he is a really beautiful dog
I admit,I am very leery about strange dogs,but you kind of learn the signs and once they have shown me they just want loving,loving they'll get
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

:sad::sad::sad: My friend just called me and she says her husband, although he really appreciates the offer and realy does need the help sometimes, is worried that Diezel will hurt me.

He says sometimes Diezel acts a little crazy/wild all of a sudden and he's worried I'll get hurt.

Wife said though that he's often so torn between going to feed diezel and staying with his daughter so she's gonna ask him again - even if its just me going to throw the food over and not going in. I think maybe he is worried about being responsible if I get hurt, which is reasonable.

:sad:

She did offer for me to go with her to feed him today on her way to the hospital but she says she didnt have time and wed just have to throw the food over and leave. I would feel bad not going in to pet him and she doesnt have time so I said its ok. On the bright side, she said when her daughter is better (good vibes, prayers please!) we can go to visit him together or with her hubby (if her hubby doesnt agree for me to go alone).

Old February 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Well, it's something at least. Yep, probably he's thinking about liability if Diezel should hurt you. But at least Diezel has a friend in you now and eventually maybe you can get to know him better.

Old February 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Looks like he was going to kill you with kisses

What a handsome boy! He looks like a total sweetie. Maybe the husband thinks he was okay with you since the wife was with you. It could be that if you were alone Diezel would act differently. Like when I'm here Vlad is super friendly to visitors. But a few times the maintenance guys have had to come inside my place and Vlad has been downright nasty, even though he's met them before with me here.

Maybe if you go more often he'll get used to you more.

I hope their daughter gets better.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

When he jumps up at you tell him off and turn your body to the side.he just needs some manners.you could also wait till he calms down before you give him any attention.and if you are going to continue to go out there he will soon learn to calm himself down if he wants you attention.weither for petting or playing.

If your happy and have no problem with going out to feed him and throw a stick or toy for him great.
Old February 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Update: She said she would ask hubby if at the very least I could just feed diezel when he's stuck for time. She said if he said ok she would pass by some cans for diezel. Was out and came back to 6 cans on my doorstep, so I guess that means I get to feed diezel

Now hubby doesnt want me going in cuz he would worry diezel would hurt me (even accidently) so now I have to try and get gravy canned food in there without throwing it bag and all..hmmmmmmmm

Old February 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm definately happy feeding him angeldogs and looking forward to when I can throw him some sticks. Its not really fair I dont think to throw him stick when im outside the electric zone thing because he cant bring it back right? :sad:

I think Ill just stop by the store and pick him up some treats/maybe toys. Are kongs ok for dogs to play with unsupervised? IS there any toy at all thats pretty much fool proof unsupervised?

Or maybe I should stick with treats....what are really yummmmy treats for dogs???

Old February 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof toy...even Kongs are labeled to be used under close supervision. Our dogs are smaller than Diezel, but even they can chew the end off the black Kongs given enough time.

Old February 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

ok so yummy treats it is

What about a bone he can work on liek those smoked bone things..or are those dangerous too?

Perhaps I should stick with biscuit treats

Old February 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Biscuit treats are probably the safest Ack...most of what he could do to entertain himself is best done under supervision...which isn't possible in this case. . How frustrating!

When will the husband be back next? Maybe if he takes you in with Diezel, then walks away to see how Diezel reacts with you, you'll both be more comfortable with you feeding Diezel up close and personal.

Old February 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So how did it go? Were you able to rig something up with a cheap bowl, or did you have to resort to the same old bag trick? And what did Diezel think of his new waitress.

Old February 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I havent gone yet Hazel, hubby has been going. I guess the cans I have are for emergencies My mom is going to visit tomorrow, then Ill know for sure. If (when!!) I do go though I think Ill just use a cheap bowl. Maybe get a set from the dollar store, lol. Friend told me hubby collects the plastic bags later...well he can collect cheepie bowls too

Last edited by onster; February 19th, 2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Aw, poor Diezel. He's probably very lonely with his owners away and nobody able to spend much time with him. He certainly doesn't look like he'd hurt you, he'd probably love to have more attention if you're allowed to go in. Having food thrown over the fence is not a very good way of feeding him and what about his water? I know you said it's heated, but is it filled automatically or is somebody checking/refilling it regularly? You know, he might even be better without your friend there, he seems very friendly but her anxiety could set him on edge. He would know that she's scared of him. How much longer are his owners away?

Hope their little girl is better soon.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

No toy is good for a dog unsupervised,more so aggressive chewers.Jag was going through a black king kong in a month or less if we didn't put it way.Leaving plastic bags lying around with food that has been in it isn't very wise thing to do.he could start chewing and swollow the platsic pieces from the bag.I would go to Global on Bridge St.for some tasty treats.
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont really know when his owners are coming back GailP, but I do think the poor guy is kind of lonely. I would go over to just keep him company kinda outside the fence but the problem is when he tries to come nearer he gets jolted by the electricity ( or at at least I imagine it is a jolt). He whimpers and lays down as gets closer. His water is inside the barn with his houses- I never actually went in that far. I dont know what the setup is but I imagine it must be a big bowl or something Most of the time hubby goes to feed and in that case he goes in, cleans up, plays with Diezel etc.

Angeldogs, Ill tell hubby bout the plastic bags. Thanks for the tip about global Ive never been there. Usually go to petvalu (close tomy house)

Old February 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster you keep saying hubby,like your hubby,did you get secretly married
I hope the little girl is getting better and that the owner will be back soon,of course the poor dog is lonely,I think any dog would be,no matter how big space he has to run in.
If I were you,I would go in and visit with him,he never showed you any aggression,stay with him for a bit.
I know you care about him,it must be heartbreaking to leave him there alone,it would to me.
That electric-fence thing is terrible,but I guess it keeps him from running away.
I just hope the owners will be back soon.
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

lol im just too lazy to keep typing 'the' for 'the hubby' and too lazy to type 'husband' hahahaha

Anhooo Im going to feel diezel tomorrow Picked him up some treats today when i picked up food (asked the girl at petvalu what was the yummiest for doggies) and bought a plastic bowl from the dollar store (supposed to be for salad or something).

Wish me luck

Old February 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Good luck, onster! Don't forget the camera

Old February 21st, 2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Onster just be careful,I would go to him with my hand stretched low towards him,with a treat of course,but to me it does not seem like he's aggressive.