Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM

Help please: Dosage/administration info for Vetmedin

My vet started my less than 8 lb cat on 1.25 mg of Vetmedin twice a day. He showed me how to administer it with food.

I've been trying to check the dosage online but haven't been able to find clear info for the dosage guidelines for cats. What she is on is well beyond the dosage for a similarly sized dog. Also, all the info says that it is less available if it is taken with food.

Can anyone advise me on this? I'll call my vet tomorrow but am worried tonight.
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkjones View Post
My vet started my less than 8 lb cat on 1.25 mg of Vetmedin twice a day. He showed me how to administer it with food.

I've been trying to check the dosage online but haven't been able to find clear info for the dosage guidelines for cats. What she is on is well beyond the dosage for a similarly sized dog. Also, all the info says that it is less available if it is taken with food.

Can anyone advise me on this? I'll call my vet tomorrow but am worried tonight.
Don't know much about Vetmedin, but I did find this info: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...din/page1.aspx

Quote:
  • The dosage prescribed may vary depending on the reason for prescribing.
  • In dogs, the dose is may range from 0.05 to 0.15 mg per pound (0.1 to 0.3 mg/kg) every 12 hours. It recommended that each dose be given 1 hour before food.
I'm wondering if your vet is having you put it in her food in order to avoid the stress of pilling. It could also be that the possible side effects of "vomiting, diarrhea, and inappetance" are lessened when it's not taken on an empty stomach. The highish dose may be to account for it's lowered availability in food. But definitely call the vet tomorrow to get the real scoop.

How is she doing, by the way?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:56 AM

Thanks SugarcatMom. I found the dosing info for dogs but heard that it differs for cats -- don't know if I dreamed that or if that's the case. I'll check with the vet this morning.

Generally she's doing better. Her breathing is good. Sometimes when she exerts herself she exhales in a real puff of air a few times but this subsides quickly when she lies down and when she's resting she isn't doing this. Clearly she is much stronger, which I notice when she wants out of her little kennel. She wants to walk about but is only able to take about a half dozen steps before lying down. Still, even that is an improvement -- on Saturday when she would try to walk her hind legs (particularly the right) couldn't hold her up. She's finally been sleeping a little and had a bowel movement yesterday that was the first in at least 10 days -- actually she had three, which I hope is a good thing (it would be to me if I hadn't gone for 10 days!!).

What I don't see yet? Eating on her own (she will drink water on her own, if sparingly); stamina of any sort, including the strength to sit up while urinating or having a bowel movement; grooming of any sort.
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Little one is gone

My little cat started having difficulty breathing yesterday. We took her to the vet E.R. where they found that both sides of her heart had failed and that her kidneys also had failed. Apparently the treatment for one would further compromise the other. So we did what seemed like the right thing for her and had her euthanised.

I know that you will understand that I am heart broken. She was an old soul who even after almost 15 years still seemed like a kitten. She was the sweetest, most loving, and most good natured cat I've ever known. I'm going to miss her more than I can put into words.
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

My heart goes out to you, and I'm so sorry you had to go through this. You both were very brave. She's at peace now, and even though you're going to miss her terribly, know that she still exists in your heart and soul.

My condolences.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 28th, 2008, 03:47 PM
-

What a terrible loss ~ she sounds like she was a wonderful kitty.
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

gkjones,I am so sorry,it's heartbreaking and sometimes I am sure you feel you cannot stand the grief.
Your little girl is not suffering anymore she's grateful you let her go,but will still always be in your heart and never forgotten