Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Post Dog Urinating in Her Bed

Hello all!
My fiance and I just got our first dog, she is a lovely Min Pin who is 4 months old. We are novice dog owners and have had much success so far, but I am ready to pull my hair out at this point.
House training is coming along really well, aside from a few accidents when we are not paying attention. We crate her at night things were going well up until a few weeks ago.
We noticed she urinated in her kennel. We tried cutting the water off two hours before bed, nothing. Tried taking her out a few times before bed, still nothing. Cut half her kennel off so there is only enough room for her bed, and still this morning when she got us up to go pee in the middle of the night, her bed was soaked.
I need some major help here. I was always told a dog will not mess in their bed, but she is and we have no idea how to control it.
Any helpful advise is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Junes Mom
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Junesmom. Welcome to the board.

What you're describing sounds like more of a physical problem than a behavioral one. Have you had her to a vet to rule out things like a urinary tract infection? That would be my suggestion--have a vet check her out, then go from there.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

welcome Junesmom! I would think Hazel is just about right on. She needs to be seen by a vet to rule out something physical. She is only 4 months old. You have to expect some accidents.
Have you cleaned the bed/crate with something to get rid of the smell of urine each time she does this? It's possible she is smelling the old urine and thinking it's ok to use the bed as a toilet.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Welcome! I think everyones right, check for health issues...
Other than that, could it be anxiety related?
Be patient, My dog peed in her kennel for a long time after we got her. She has finally stopped. She was just untrained and anxious.
Look at it this way... at least its in her kennel, not on your bed!
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Welcome to the world of MinPins, one of the hardest breeds to house train!! I have been rescuing them for about 10 years!!! Please be sure that she does NOT have an infection and if not I strongly suggest a good walk before bed and make sure she is empty. MinPins are notorious for not totally emptying their bladders and they are smart and sneaky!!!

Cutting off the water about 2 hours before bed is not a bad idea but a good walk right before bed is a very good idea and remember to praise when she pees, and I suggest saying "good pee pee" as later she will pee on command - all mine do but I have to make sure they pee - even my 17 year old MinPin!!!

You will find you have to keep on top of this for a VERY long time but once you have mastered it she should be ok, females are much better than male MinPins. Also once she is spayed some times they can become a little incontinent but there are pills for that, and its only need temporarily so don't be dissuaded.

MinPins need 110% consistency SO for her potty breaks do them at the same time daily, praise praise praise and keep it fun. They will pee in their beds regardless so don't get too upset and don't bother making the crate smaller, if she has to go, she will go! Just carry on, and keep at it, you will win!!!
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Have you noticed any urine dripping while she is sleeping?
Some times this can indicate a kidney problem.

Incontinence usually affects female dogs. If only one ureter is abnormal the dog will dribble urine but can also urinate normally. If both ureters are affected then the puppy will only dribble urine and cannot pass urine normally.

To diagnose this condition a dye study of the bladder is usually performed. Sometimes the abnormal opening into the vagina can be seen during a careful examination under anesthesia using special equipment.
Incontinence can also be caused by abnormalities in the parts of the brain and spinal cord that control bladder function.

I would have her checked out by your vet just as everyone has recommended
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks all

I have taken her to the vet just yesterday, ruled out an possible infections and she has a good clean bill of health.
Since I posted, we have given her a good walk and play session right before bed and cut the food and water off as soon as she has had her supper.
Good news to report, we are clean and dry the last two nights!
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM

So happy to hear that all is well.