Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM

What's an OB command?

Avoiding loose dogs is not a possibility. They're everywhere and indeed, some of the places I walk are specifically set aside for that purpose. I don't even mind off leash dogs. I think dogs need to be able to interact with each other off leash.

I also really don't think that kicking this particular dog would have been a reasonable solution. If the situation had escalated, maybe.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Well, I spoke to my trainer, who pretty much confirmed what I thought: if your dog is being physically harmed, then pick up anything handy and aim it at the aggressor. Otherwise, to stop a dog that is approaching aggressively, step towards it with a hand outstretched in the STOP! gesture and shout NO. Extra tips: 1. a spring-loaded umbrella that opens at the touch of a button should be enough to frighten off most dogs, and 2. telling the other dog's owner that you think your dog might have kennel cough is enough to frighten most people into calling off their dog (ha).
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM

What I usually do is put my dogs in a down stay and I walk towards the dog coming towards us and send it away, in a strong voice I say GO HOME and it usually works... I don't go to dog parks much anymore as all my dogs have been beat up and I am done with that noise!

When I went last my MinPin was picked up and shook, the owner of the other dog did nothing, so I grabbed his dog by the scruff and picked if up off it's feet stuck my thumb in it's mouth so it would let go of my dog and until he would clip the leash on I wouldn't put his dog down! Now that's probably not the smartest thing to do but I have worked with nasty dogs and am quite strong, his dog was wiggling around like an idiot trying to go at me but thankfully I could hold her, she was a med sized cattle dog mix. Nasty thing. He didn't even apologize, he just said his dog didn't like little dogs! I mentioned she shouldn't be at a dog park... I did report it but really not much came of it.

Best thing to do is teach your dog a safety word for "come" that you only use in an emergency and get a good solid down so you can step in if you need to. Keep your cell phone handy and program in the local animal control number or 911 if that's what you have. Don't bother trying to argue with people about what their dog did, it's like arguing about their child....

If you can find a nice group to walk with that is better or a safer area where your dog can meet nice dogs even better.

I tend now to walk with a group I know and trust or just take my dogs to the stables where they can party and be safe there.

Just want to add that my Doberman had the crap beat out of her by a lab! ROFL
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

My dog is reactive/aggressive to some other dogs too, and no matter who I asked: vets, trainers, communicators, behaviorlist, they all say the same thing...stop going to off leash parks. Some wont help you if you continue to do so.

If you can't control the space, the other dogs, your dog from having negative experiences, they will learn negative reactions. When they are young and still in developmental stages, such as your dog, its essential they have positive experiences, it's how they develope their socail skills...if they are over-corrected or attacked aggressively during this time, it affects their long term behavior.

This is what the professional I have contacted have told me, we no longer go to the large off leash parks, we stick to quiet trails and play dated with dogs I know are safe and friendly, daycare is another safe place for them.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Swift Tribe

i started reading through this and the bear spray and so on and kept thinking, vinegar and lemon and water. although i think the pop open umbrella is brilliant!!

lots of great advice!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)