Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
It is NOT the high protein that you should be concerned about. It is the calcium and especially phosphorous levels. Read the information is this thread and click on all the references that are given for additional information.....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48372
Exactly and fortunately Orijen has address this concern.

The following is from their website:

By utilizing special low-ash chicken and fish ingredients, ORIJEN PUPPY LARGE avoids the high ash levels—and subsequently elevated calcium and phosphorus—that are a common concern for large breed puppy owners on high-protein diets.
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Wellness Core and Orijin claim to have the correct balance of phosphorous and calcium, it's not just the levels but the ratios to each other that are important.

I hope they claim correctly (that the levels and ratios are right).

And I hope y'all are right about protein levels because it's not cut and dried from what I read, there is controversy over it.
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia101 View Post
Wellness Core and Orijin claim to have the correct balance of phosphorous and calcium, it's not just the levels but the ratios to each other that are important.

I hope they claim correctly (that the levels and ratios are right).

And I hope y'all are right about protein levels because it's not cut and dried from what I read, there is controversy over it.
I hope they are right too but really what can I do but believe them when Orijen tells me that their product is good for my pets. Compared to some of the other foods out there, Orijen looks pretty good to me. My dogs make regular visits to the vet and I have enough faith in my vet that I know they will tell me if there is any health concerns with Harley or Tova.
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I agree. Protein from meat sources is the best to feed as dogs do not need grains. There is some good information on this site...

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

It is the calcium and phosphorous ratio that you need to watch. There is a thread about it here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
Thanks Rainbow. I finally got a chance to check out the link. It was extremely informative. I have to say that I am impressed with Orijen. I find their website very informative and I like the fact that they are a Canadian company and relatively speaking a small company. As well I haven't found a whole lot of dog food companies that provide a formula specific to large breed puppies.
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM

I was wondering if anyone could comment about only giving high protein dog food to pregnant, lactating, recovering from surgery, highly active, working dogs, & senior dogs and for a short time. I realize the importance of this, I'm not so sure about giving it to a normal activity level, adult dog. Cheers.
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisha View Post
I was wondering if anyone could comment about only giving high protein dog food to pregnant, lactating, recovering from surgery, highly active, working dogs, & senior dogs and for a short time. I realize the importance of this, I'm not so sure about giving it to a normal activity level, adult dog. Cheers.
From what I understand through posts and links on here as well as other sites, the issue isn't so much the level of protein as where the protein is coming from. The difference between protein from grain or from meat. I think as well a lot would depend on the breed and size of the dog. As the owner of a large breed puppy, my biggest concern is her rate of growth and it's effects on her bones and joints. Orijen seems to have addressed this concern better than most.