Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old March 18th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

our friends had goats when we were young, and when we would go to the top of their "mountain" they would all come running to knock us off!! They seemed to love playing king of the castle
Do yours play that with you? (or do you just stay off their mountain )

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM

.lol they are always waiting to get chased off something...the tractor, car, deck...they think it is a really fun game. Eric says "off the porch " and they run to the front and peer thru the front porch rails waiting for him to come round then they run to the back and wait for him to come around the corner...then off they go again. I swear they are laughing at how easy it is to get Eric's goat.

Here is a pic of Bob saying 'Hurry up they will see us!"
Here is a pic of them looking for us as they do a sneaky step by step up to the porch.
Here is a pic of them looking for Eric to come around and "chase" them off the porch.
Attached Images

Old March 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

They're so cute! I love how they like to play. And people say animals don't know anything.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM

Ancient.. You are so right ..how can people think animals do not reason, solve problems, find solutions...let alone feel . Our big funny family proves every day just how smart they can be. For example here is Bob eating animal crackers. I always buy Walmart for them but this is a different brand and he can tell the difference. He spit his out, stuck out his tounge and stamped his feet...then refused to eat them...cause they were not the ones he liked.....I was amazed he knew the difference!
Attached Images

Old March 21st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

See there you go, Bob proved it.

My friend, you best go on back to Wal-mart and get that little guy his animal crackers.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh stories .... lol, after about 8 years of having the Alpines, I guess I have a few

I remember when Bikou, Caramelle and Canelle died one after the other from "charbon" ... not sure what that even is! Reglisse pulled through, she and Bikou were vaccinated at the last minute and he really faught to live but had to give up poor boy (huge goat, no horns at all - naturally - he was as tall as my waist line!! and soooo gentle and sweet ) but Reglisse poor thing, all of a sudden she was all alone! Cafe-Creme (her mom) had died earlier from old age, so she was our sole goat after that little catastrophe.

Up until then, they'd all been tethered, and we moved them once a week to fresh blackberry brush (far more tasty to an Alpine than mere green, juicy grass ) but I had to let her go loose, she just kept crying and pulling towrds the house.

I'd find her in the dog house with the dog outside on the gound walking inside the living room if the door had been left open and my rose bushes? History!! But she was happy again, she had a new "flock" to be with.

A neighbor got tired of her Alpine, Chaussette and the kid Mimi, so I took them off her together with Pigeon that a guy wanted to place in a foster place as he didn't have room for him (and his neighbors were complaining about the bouq-smell! Yeah, he could stink - twice a year, but it was a natural smell, nothing offensive!)

Well, female + male = kids! Except Reglisse, she never got any babies. I called her the auntie of the herd and she was just adorable to the end.

We build an enclosure for them so they didn't have to be tied up and could be closer together when they wanted to. Of course, being goats, they found a way out and went roaming in our woods all day, coming home in the evening when I called them, shaking a bucket of oats for their snack.

One day, Reglisse didn't come home. She was about 12 years old by then. I think she went to lie down in a hollow by herself and die there, not wanting us to have to see her dead and have to deal with the body. She'd seen us cry over the others we lost from time to time.

Gazelle? I have NO idea where she came from! One day my daughter came in and said "mom, there's a goat in the garden!" I thought one of ours had gotten out of the enclosure and into the garden somehow, but when I went outside, I said "Hey, who are you!?" she was not ours at all. Sweet-natured as anything, tall, gazelle-colored (hence the name), so I just opened the gate from the garden to the enclosure and she ran to the others and was integrated at once. How did she get there? Total mystery. Maybe someone dropped her off, seeing that there were goats there already? Or she got away from someone and stopped when she saw the other goats? No idea.

I forgot the last ones in the earlier post ... Cleo, Victor's mate. She had a few little ones, twins like Rouletabille and Ribouldingue (from a French kids' story, lol) and I must admit I've forgotten the others' names

The last time we had three little kids at the same time, we piled them up in the back of my CR-V and drove to the vet with them. He came outside to give them their shots in the car

Funny thing ... while I remember this one! I had to have about 10 of them vaccinated at one point, and the vet came out to do it. They weren't tethered at the time! We ran around catching them one by one (and they didn't want us to! Oats or not) for over an hour! Once it was over, he gave me the bill ...
LESS THAN ONE EASY SHOT AT HIS OFFICE FOR ONE DOG I eman, is that even logical?

No pics :sad: it was pre-digital days, and all the pics I did have are with my ex
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM

Ancient...you are so right and we did get him the "right " ones. he is happy now,

Sarah... I really enjoyed reading about your goats. There is alot of love in those words. I wish I could have met them all. I think you had a wonderful goat family and I am glad you shared them with me.
Attached Images

Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay for Bob!

OMG, you have little donkey's too? That's what they are no? Little donkey's? How cute!!!

Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM

Ancient..Yes we adopted these two little guys last Oct. They are mini-donkeys or Donkeetes as my hubby calls them, They are very ornery. I have lots of storys about them and pics too. Thanks for all your nice comments. You have made me and my furry "funny farm " bunch feel very welcome here.
Attached Images

Old March 24th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I'd love to see more pictures. I think they are all just the cutest little guys and girls.

Old March 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyAppy View Post
They are mini-donkeys or Donkeetes as my hubby calls them,
omg they are too cute ! If I had some , they would live inside the house with us yep , I should stick to dogs
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Frenchy..lol ...our wicked little donkees are funny bullies. They have tiny little feet, about the size of a quarter but they try to kick you anyway. and their teeny little mouths still pack a punch when they latch on to our butts.After they are finished roughing us up they want petted and fussed over. Won't leave your side and bellow when you say goodnight.They make us laugh out loud. They are such lovable little meanies.Here is Lily , goat, challenging Diablo over a food pan...He just ignores her...and she gets more and more mad.
Attached Images

Old March 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Ancient.. Thank you ...I will start another thread for the donkees. they have some funny stories. Thanks again for taking an interest in our furries. We really love all these guys. As crazy as it gets around here sometimes, it is still so wonderful sharing life with these funny characters.
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it's so neat to see these little goats and donkeys. I remember when I first saw the miniature horses. I wished I had a farm so that I could have one, and thought, heck, I'd probably just keep him/her inside the house!

Do you ever let any of them inside your house?

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more about all of them.

Never mind, I just read over the posts. LOL, I was too busy looking at the pictures and missed some of the words.

Last edited by ancientgirl; March 24th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

seeing the little grey donkeet with his foot in the water trough reminded me of Spot (one of the goats I'd forgotten the name of!) - every time I'd fill his buchet with fresh water, he'd look at me, and spill it with one kick or push totally on purpose Spot? Named for a white spot on his flank, the rest of him was the color or his mom, Caramelle.

But those doneky-faces ... just the type of donkey face I've always wanted (no, not on my body!!)

Frenchy, I knew a family who ran a riding school, they transformed the loft of the stables to an apartment, with a glass floor, so they could see the horses at all times. Sounds like something for you - and Fancy, and me!! all our dogs, donkeys, goats, horses, lamas, alpakkas, chickens, rabbits etc etc running around under our feet
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyAppy View Post
Here is Lily , goat, challenging Diablo over a food pan...He just ignores her...and she gets more and more mad.
You go Lily !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post

with a glass floor,
omg the cleaning
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:14 PM

Sarah..
yes, living above our furries would be the life,but our animals would probably be disgusted because then they would have no privacy. like being on a reality TV show.They could never get a break from us. lol...might make a good TV show though...The day in the life of a crazy pet lover ..I really like your goat stories. Your memories are sweet. Spot reminds me of my Bob.

Frenchy and Ancient.
The goats love to come in the house. Only the original 4 have ever been in but they make themselves at home, sleep on the couch or dog bed, drink the cat water, raid the cupboards and eat magazines. but they stay out of the trash and don't do their business in the house.They get bored in about 15 min. and go back out....not enough to eat in the house for my fat goats.
They are not allowed in anymore ...hubby just does not understand..lol...and put his foot down. No goats on the porch or in the house!!!!!

Here is Bob today pitching a fit because he wants his snack.
Attached Images

Old March 26th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Bob is quite a little character. Don't you ever wonder who the boss really is when it comes to our pets? I know I do

Old March 26th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Wooden fence, large chain-link and a shed in the back ground? LOL, could be my old place except the shed was an old trailer, and the roof was haolf torn off in a freak tornado one Christmas an oak fell on the fence, but the goats stayed in the enclosure, not one went out onto the road.