Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 8th, 2008, 06:57 PM

New Boxer owner

Hi everyone,
I'm the new owner of a beautiful fawn Boxer boy, he's now 12 weeks old and we've been getting aquainted for a month now. His name is Lewis. I'm excited to be a new member here to read up on tips and tribulations from other pet owners and especially those who are well educated on the Boxer breed!
Any great stories or suggestions will be most welcome I should mention that my "name" is actually a combination of my Tabby named Angus, and of course, Lewis.
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang-Lew View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm the new owner of a beautiful fawn Boxer boy, he's now 12 weeks old and we've been getting aquainted for a month now. His name is Lewis. I'm excited to be a new member here to read up on tips and tribulations from other pet owners and especially those who are well educated on the Boxer breed!
Any great stories or suggestions will be most welcome I should mention that my "name" is actually a combination of my Tabby named Angus, and of course, Lewis.
i have a boxer to,they r beautiful,great with kids but they have alot of energy,it took 4 years before mine slowed down alittle,she is 7 now and still acts like a puppy,lolwelcome to the site i am new here to and all the best to u and lewis
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful pup! I don't have a Boxer, but my dog's groomer loves them and has had them for years - her current 2 - one is 8 and the other 2 1/2 are my guy's girlfriends. I do have a suggestion - since you live in Canada, you might check out the pet insurance company VetInsurance - because Boxers are very prone to ACL - the 8 year old has had both legs done - and just last week the 2 1/2 year old had one leg done and will be having her second leg done in 2 months. Both dogs came from top breeders. A lady who provided some training to our Eskimo used to have Boxers - absolutely loved them - and she also had the ACL problem at a young age. Boxers as I am sure you know do suffer from various health issues (I used to have mini Dachshunds and their medical costs were astronomical). We took out vet insurance for our Eskimo because he is a Hoover and also prone to Patellar Luxation and ACL. Vet Insurance does not cover Hip Dysplasia though. The Plan is a little different than other non deluxe plans - there are no caps per condition - either lifetime or yearly - and the plan will cover up to $20,000 over lifetime of dog. If you enroll prior to age one you will have the puppy rate for life - then it goes 1 year to 3 years. Also, to be covered for hormonal related health issues - and this includes diabetes - the pup must be spayed/neutered. ACL surgery is expensive - and if one leg goes, the other is 85% sure to follow. Certainly you could set up a savings account, but if you should have a problem at age 2 you won't have nearly enough to cover the cost. And this 2 1/2 year old is not the only Boxer is this situation. My guy is 22 lbs. and wants to be a Boxer!
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Thanks!
Our breeder is a wonderful lady and she already had us set up through PetPlan. I hope we don't ever have to use it (or at least rarely) but it's nice to know we're covered.
Thank goodness we're having a stretch of warm-ish weather here in Edmonton so I can get Lewis out of the house and work out some of his endless energy!!
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Remembering Lukka

Hello Ang-Lew, (and earnhardt38 if I missed you intro post)
I LOVE the name Lewis, he must be adorable, can't wait to see the pictures of him
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome! I'm looking forward to pics, too.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:01 AM
-

Welcome to pets.ca Cute pic of Lewis in your avatar but we'd love to see bigger pics of him and Angus in the Pet Photo forum here.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:52 AM

Just as soon as I have some time to figure out how to post pictures (read:Lewis is having a growing-nap) I will post some. He's a complete ham and we're starting puppy obedience this coming weekend. He's going to LOVE it!!
This is a fantastic forum, so much to read from people with good know-how!
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM
-

To post pics click on reply, scroll down to "additional options" then click on "manage attachments" and follow the directions to upload from your computer. Oh, and I *think* you need to have 5 posts before you can do it.