Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM

Any problems with Timberwolf Ocean Blue???

My two have been eating Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue for over 8 months & since we opened up a new bag about 2 weeks ago, they don't want to eat it, particularly Aspen. Plus, their stools are different--they are eliminating massive amounts of poop & it is goldish in color. Plus, it's much softer than usual. This is very peculiar!

Anyone else experiencing sudden problems with their bag(s) of Ocean Blue? Please post! If this keeps going on for a few more days, I'm on the phone with the company I purchased it from & the manufacturer!
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:01 AM
-

I don't feed it but haven't heard of any problems lately. I know awhile back people were reporting that they noticed changes in kibble colour and different shapes and sizes. I think there's even a thread here about it. I'll see if I can find it.

Oh, and good luck trying to get anywhere with the customer service at Timberwolf. Also with Chenango Valley Pet Food that manufactures it for them.
Old October 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM

Yes, I remember that thread, but that was from quite a while ago.

I don't know why their customer service has to be so louzy. The demand for their produts is growing by leaps & bounds. I've already talked with them about developing more grain-free formulas & to tell them that their new packaging stinks.
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM
-

I'm glad you remember it because I forgot to go look for it.

Did you get a reply to your question about more grain free formulas? I know they have a great product but I just don't like the fact that they contract out to have it manufactured, especially after the last recall.

Have you ever considered Orijen? They have their 6 Fresh Fish with Sea Vegetables formula (http://www.championpetfoods.com/orij...IJEN6fish.aspx) that may work for your dogs. And, it's manufactured at their very own plant.
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
.....Have you ever considered Orijen?...
Yes. That is one I of the foods in my book to recommend for some clients...I am a canine holisitic nutrition consultant.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:11 AM
-

So, why haven't you given it a try?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
So, why haven't you given it a try?
I plan to, but the place where I order it from just recently got it in - I've been waiting a long time. I'm in the US, so Canada got it long before we did. Plus, I've been introducing my two to Primal's raw line of food.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
-

I hope you get as good results as most other people are getting. Let us know.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:35 PM

Any problems with Timberwolf Ocean Blue???

[QUOTE=rainbow;492214] Oh, and good luck trying to get anywhere with the customer service at Timberwolf. Also with Chenango Valley Pet Food that manufactures it for them.

You must be really good. How did you find out who the manufacturer was for Timberwolf ? They wouldn't tell me. I had my friend, who owns a pet shop & carries their food call and they gave her a song and dance and wouldn't tell her either. They told her to tell the customer that she is being irrational. I'm assuming perhaps Menu Foods might have manufactured their food.

Solid Gold were very nice people to chat with. The kibble is manufactured by Diamond (ok, so Diamond had a few recalls in the past) and the cans are manufactured by Blue Sky, the people who mfgr. Merrick.

Wellness wouldn't tell me.

EVO said, (if you read the Itchmo article, http://itchmo.com/go/tagged/pet-food-product-recall/ ) that Natura no longer sources any ingredients from China. When I spoke to them, I found out that Vit B and Taurine come from China. She said there is a world shortage of those ingredients and China is the only place to get it. Turns out, after doing my research. that even the raw materials for us is coming from China because it's cheaper.

I was mixing Orijen with EVO, but now just use Solid Gold Barking At The Moon mixed with cooked chicken or ground beef & steamed bok choy or mix with canned food. My Whippet burps sometimes and I don't know if that's from Solid Gold.

I've been trying to find a good high protein, low carb, no grain kibble. I'm always confused as to which is a good kibble.

Sandi
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
-

It took a lot of searching and a little luck to find out Timberwolfs manufacturer. Chenago Vallet Pet Foods also manufactures a lot of other kibbles....some that were even included in the last recall.

Quote:
She said there is a world shortage of those ingredients and China is the only place to get it. Turns out, after doing my research. that even the raw materials for us is coming from China because it's cheaper.
How did you find out their raw ingredients are coming from China? Do you have a link? I used to feed Innova and never had a problem with it.

I am currently feeding Orijen and it's the best kibble we've found so far. I also love the fact that it is manufactured at their own plant which is certainly a bonus these days.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM

I never had a problem with EVO, but according to dogaware.com, they said
"Evo is a high-protein, low-carb, grain-free diet that is very low in carbs. The ingredients look very good, but I have heard reports of dogs having problems on this diet, especially when used long term (problems include excessive water drinking in a number of dogs, probably due to the high protein content, and dry coat in a few, possibly due to the high calcium). I think it is better used as part of the diet, or as part of a rotation of foods, rather than fed all the time. "

I was mixing it with Orijen but then when all the recalls were happening, I decided I wanted a kibble made in the U.S., not Canada ()

EVO told me it came from China and then I called a friend who is a nutritionist and works for a vitamin manufacturer. I asked him if he knew of any raw bulk suppliers in the U.S. for taurine & vit. b. He referred me to someone in his company and she said everything is coming from China, because it's cheaper.

Also found out that years ago Orijen had recalls because of mad cow disease. I don't think they have beef in their kibble any longer. I think I found that info by accident.

Sandi
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Owned by Saints

It wasn't Orijen that was recalled.. It was another brand that Champion made. Orijen has never contained beef.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in542336.shtml
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Thank you for posting that information Rayne
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
-

According to this site it was an American born cow that was the cause of the recall:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/06/30/news/notes.php
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM

I was wondering why it took 2 years to make the announcement?
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM
-

When mad cow disease was first found in Canada it was all over the news and the whole world knew about it. The U.S. has had two cases and it's all been hushed up.
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Believe me, I'm a vegetarian, and I don't agree it's been hush hush. I was happy that I never eat meat after knowing mad cow was in the U.S

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11809760/

Sandi
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Papa D

i feed to wilderness elk.....no probs and my guys are great.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Ingredient changes to TWO

I'm just guessing that perhaps the changes you saw in your dog due to the new Ocean Blue bag had something to do with the change in ingredients they just announced. I read on a breed-specific forum that the company is now stating that the ingredients not only have changed, but that they are not exactly what is listed on the bag. It seems they attempted to say the ingredients didn't change, but must not have realized that people had copies of the old ingredients saved....and that a side by side analysis shows different. Not sure what they've done with Ocean Blue? Seems awfully shady though.

http://http://www.germanshepherds.co...e=1#Post521851
Old December 8th, 2007, 02:48 PM
-

Goldens4Ever posted the ingredient changes here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....804#post511804

Definitely not as good as it used to be :sad: and alot more expensive than Orijen.