Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 17th, 2001, 06:53 PM

Question Caribbean Cat?

I am hoping to relocate in the next year to sunny Jamaica but was alerted by an aquaintance that I would not easily be allowed to take my kitty, Fidel, with me, and if I did take him along, he would be subjected to months of quarantine in an isolated cage somewhere near Kingston airport.

I can understand the need for vaccination and close monitoring of imported domestic animals (for fear of rabies, etc) but is this story factually accurate? If so, is there any way to bypass or speed up this process? Will treatment in Canada suffice? Please respond - my island loving kitty and I cannot be apart! Months in a cage is no life for a cat!
Old July 18th, 2001, 05:34 PM

Contact the health department in jamaica

hi,

The only way to tell for sure is by contacting the health or animal department of the Jamaican government.

I would do a search for the jamaican government animal department using a search engine like google.com

They will have all the facts you need.

Just to warn you though, some countries do indeed have very strict quarantine rules for animals entering their country....this is to protect the animals in that country from potentially hazzardous diseases or infections.

good luck
howie