Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 17th, 2016, 10:45 AM

Unhappy Dog ate sponge

My dog take apart his bed and ate some sponge one days ago. everything is still normal eat and drink well, no diarrhea. I haven't seen any of the sponge pieces pass yet. He is trying to vomit himself, but the sponge can't throw it out, after an hour or two, he swallow back and he can bark again, maybe 10 minutes later again, he can't bark and trying to vomit/throw the sponge out again, it repeated so many times, can I get something for him eat to push sponge out, like high fiber bread or else?
Old January 17th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi PCX,

Without a doubt the safest route would of course be to call a vet....

If it has been more than one day it's quite possible that the sponge has already started disintegrating in the dog's stomach....whether it will break down completely (and pass completely) is the question. A bowel obstruction is a possibility here and that is extremely serious. If the dog has not yet pooped the situation REMAINS serious.

If the dog has been pooping...then it's quite possible that the sponge is passing in pieces you can't see....and thus the problem might actually be over.

The thing is, is that this is just speculation and we don't know for sure....so because of this a call to a vet is my best advice.

Here is someone that posted an IDENTICAL problem and here's a vet's answer in that case http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=7653

Here's more info on inducing vomiting and when you should do it. (most times you should not) http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...g-in-pets.aspx

Hope this helps and hope others may have some input.

Good luck
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 17th, 2016, 12:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A vet visit is in order, I think--if your dog is trying to throw it up and can't, it's large enough to cause him to choke or suffocate if it gets stuck in the throat, and large enough to cause a blockage if it gets into the intestine. If the material he ate is plastic (polyfiber, etc), it won't dissolve on its own, either. So definitely see a vet and get some medical advice.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 17th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with others 100% your dog needs to be seen by a vet he might need a MRI or x ray to made sure the sponge is not causing any kind of blockage .
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Hi PCX,

Without a doubt the safest route would of course be to call a vet....

If it has been more than one day it's quite possible that the sponge has already started disintegrating in the dog's stomach....whether it will break down completely (and pass completely) is the question. A bowel obstruction is a possibility here and that is extremely serious. If the dog has not yet pooped the situation REMAINS serious.

If the dog has been pooping...then it's quite possible that the sponge is passing in pieces you can't see....and thus the problem might actually be over.

The thing is, is that this is just speculation and we don't know for sure....so because of this a call to a vet is my best advice.

Here is someone that posted an IDENTICAL problem and here's a vet's answer in that case http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=7653

Here's more info on inducing vomiting and when you should do it. (most times you should not) http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...g-in-pets.aspx

Hope this helps and hope others may have some input.

Good luck
Thanks, Marko.
My dog is still doing well, I gave him some canned pumpkin with high fiber to eat twice a day, found that he poop some cotton that he swallow a few weeks ago with another bed, sometimes he is still ok and can bark, sometimes can't because of the sponge.
Old February 17th, 2021, 01:35 AM

Asking the public for technical answers, you're almost bound to get random misinformation. In my opinion it's worse than no information. Calling a vet is of course the best answer. A sponge would likely not even show on x-ray because they are not dense.

Here is another data point. This happened within the last 24 hours:
Dog - 8 month old pitbull / great dane / australian shepherd mix (according to Embark dna test). 63 lbs. This guy is thick and strong like a pitbull.

He ate a scotch-brite dobie scrub sponge yesterday around 1pm. Thank God it had holes in it and he did not eat the plastic "net" around the sponge itself. It's unclear if the sponge is cellulose or not, but it did not appear broken down or digested at all when it came out as vomit or as stool. I would fear the net part more because, well it's a net. It could easily get caught on chunks of stool, food, or caught in his intestines like string might.

I was unclear if he'd swallowed the sponge whole or in pieces until I found a piece near his bed, which indicated that he'd likely torn it apart before consuming (turned out this was correct).

I wanted to add actual data, so after he vomited at 1am (about 12 hours after ingestion) I saved it and photographed it the next day, next to an intact dobie scrub sponge for comparison. The next afternoon I found chunks of the sponge in his stool and photographed that as well, because I like to back up claims with evidence, as opposed to making arbitrary claims without credentials or evidence. The internet is so annoying.

Anywho... here is what came out as vomit. I grouped the pieces net to a "good sponge" to approximate how much had NOT come up as vomit. The green chunks are part of a Whimzee, which is a high-fiber dog treat.

...and as stool. The lighter-colored chunks in the lower left and lower right are both sponge, there were other smaller chunks as well. For scale the piece in the lower left was almost an inch long.

This sponge had been under my sink, had been well-used and had been my "old sponge" that I used for scrubbing the kitchen sink (only with dish soap, no harsh chemicals), as opposed to a "good sponge" for washing dishes. So this sponge had seen plenty of bacteria in its life, but had been dry for at least several days (last time I washed the sink).
Attached Images

Tags
sponge