Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 12th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Does your cat see Ghosts?

Three or four times a week - about 2:30 3:00 in the morning - Icys runs around the living room and ends up at the bathroom and meows. He sits there and stares up at the entrance to the bathroom. I've gotten up on several occassions to see what he's looking at. I can't see anything! Icys sits there and meows - still looking up at the entrance to the bathroom. Sometimes he even jumps - climbing all the way up the door jam to get whatever he's seeing. Then he sits there and continues to look and meow at the same spot and he'll jump again! He will sit there and jump several times until it's apparent that he can't see it anymore. I never see anything. Has anyone else had this experience? Spooky!!!

Gary
Old November 12th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I dont think Joey as seen as ghost since he has been here. But he sure did freak out at my neighbours garage this morning. I think it must have been a mouse though. He wanted in there so bad.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

The "ghost"might very well be little fourlegged creatures,mice
My cats would all three sit on my bed,look up at the ceiling and meow,before we discovered we had mice in the walls of the house.
All gone now,so no more"ghosts"..
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Not quite the same thing, but Phantom will meow and scratch at the closet door until someone opens it, then take a casual look inside and stroll away.

~LM~
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:40 PM
cat slave

yes my Twiggy does!
I believe animals can sense these things easier than humans.

One night I was cuddling with Twiggy and she stopped and growled and clenched her teeth and she looked up above my head and followed soemthing with her eyes . I tried to calm her down and 2 minutes later...same thing.
Old November 12th, 2005, 05:25 PM

My cat did

The cat we used to have used to see them.. Once while my mother and I were sitting in the living room, the lights from the hallway turned themselves on and off somehow, not surprising becuase that house had alot of other weird things happen in it too, but once that happened, my cat FREAKED.. She started to hiss at nothing (in the direction of the hallway) and she started meowing (which was someting she only did when someone stepped on her by accident or something, so was very strange) and wanted to get out as fast as she could...

I am pretty confident they can see thigns we cant..
Old November 13th, 2005, 12:22 AM

jayde, my golden does this. all of a sudden she spooks and alerts to ...nothing. she gets the point thing going on and just sands there, staring at something. god only knows what
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Personal servant to Joey

JaydeDoggie
Quote:
jayde, my golden does this. all of a sudden she spooks and alerts to ...nothing. she gets the point thing going on and just sands there, staring at something. god only knows what
Joey freaked out at a plant when I was walking him at night. I actually thought it was a small cat as it was dark and when we got closer to was actually a branch hanging of one of those planters. Okay it was a really thick branch, Joey and I both thought it was a cat. But then he just stood there starring at it doing the point thing too and just starring straight at it. They seem to go into a bit of a trance when they do this.

Old November 13th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Personal servant to Joey

My former cat when we lived in Vancouver. She was actually my sisters that lived next store but used to visit everyday. Anyways I knew we had rats in our house as it was right next to my sisters horse barn. (sorry they freak me out) because I walked into my kitchen and a huge black one was sitting next to the coffee maker starring at me. I freaked and grabbed my son and ran out of the house.
Anyways she would sit in our kitchen and stare at the cubboards for hours. I was totally paraonoid that everytime I opened a cubboard a rat would be in it.

I am sure they make great pets though! Sorry a bit off topic

Old November 13th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

There always is creaks and noises in an older house like mine and the cats have such acute hearing,it at times is a bit eerie....then there is that invisible prey,they start chasing around and around the house,as if they have fire on their tails,with area-rugs and anything flying that comes in their path
At least they alerted us to the little visitors in the walls and that problem is solved for now..no ghosts!
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Cats can see spirits!

We are convinced that one of our cats can see spirits. Last night we took a picture of our cat jumping up and down on the wall opposite the stairs going downstairs. Around 8PM every night he will keep jumping up and catching whatever it is he is seeing. He has been doing this for the last couple of months.

Freaky at first but the pictures we took definately shows something out of the ordinary. If anyone is interested in seeing the pictures I can send to you.

Are others experiencing the same thing

MV
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure there's a phantom kitty living here with us. I've felt things and seen flashes out of the corner of my eye. My kitties don't really react too much. Vlad will now and then sit on the bathroom counter and meow, but once I get him he's okay. Maks is always cooing and kitty talking and sometimes I wonder if he might be talking to phantom kitty. They don't ever freak out or hiss or growl, so I think the kitty just wants other kitties to play with. I've come to believe maybe it's one or both of the cats I had in high school.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 16th, 2008, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if my cats see ghosts. I have a picture that came out weird. I was taking a pic with my cell phone. right before I snapped the pic, he looked to his left as if something just flew by (nothing there). the pic came out like this: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/darmom/fonzie.jpg

I took a second pic right away to see if it would show up again. It didn't. There was no smoke, spiderwebs or steam in the room, and a flash was not used for this pic. I am bald, so it's not my hair sneaking in front of the lens. I dunno.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:07 AM

My Boy BABY!

My kitty boy "Baby" has always been quite the talker. Yet every once in while he'll talk to the ceiling or a corner in the room and he is loud! I'm usally cuddling with him and get spooked because I don't know what he is looking at and cannot get his eyes to focus on something else. Tonight he acted as if he was following something into the bedroom as he again loudly meowed into the room, my husband and I were in the living room watching this. We do have a kitty girl "Beep" and he'll look and call out to her to play but she was also in the same room as we. Last night as my husband was in the bathroom Baby came in with his head down and planted it into my husband's legg. This is not like him a very social kitty even more than myself. He is always talking and his hed is held high. Perhaps a second or two after that the switch in the bathroom was trun down as were the lights, my husband called for me, as I saw this he told me he felt as if he had missed something pass by as he knelt down to pet "Baby".? The light switch was up then down and no one did this, perhaps Baby came to protect my husband as his behavior was very off? Any thing to say............very strange and more is happening!
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I've always read and heard animals and small children are more in tune with things like these. Their brains aren't yet taught to rationalize strange things and they aren't told not to believe. Also, I think that they are seen as less of a threat, so any other worldly being is more attracted to their kindness and innocence.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM

Cat scared by ghosts

I'm certain my cat Poppy saw a ghost or ghosts this morning. We got up as normal and I put out her breakfast to lots of mewing and fuss. I popped out to the garden and while I was there heard noises inside the house. When I went back in Poppy was nowhere to be seen, but I figured she was playing her normal morning games, running around the house. I finished making tea and called her and noticed she hadn't touched her food which was unusual.

I went upstairs and she was hiding under my bed. I was worried she might be sick as she was very quiet and she is normally very vocal, so I dangled her favourite toy about and she played with it, so I thought she must be OK.

But she wouldn't come out from under the bed. It took a lot of coaxing to get her out and when i did her tail was all bushed up and her pupils were huge. I picked her up and she clung to me so tight, moreso as I went downstairs. When we got to the lounge she was definitely staring at something at the far end her head bobbing about as she watched it and I could see how frightened she was.

I put her down and she slowly stalked to the other end of the room, focussed on something I couldn't see. She hid under the sofa for a bit, then appeared at the end, standing on her hind legs peeping over the arm and still staring. I was very freaked out by this time and spoke out loud, telling whatever it was to get out of my house and stop scaring my cat!

She seemed a bit calmer after this but still very wary and on edge. She has never acted this way before, not even around other cats. I had to leave to go to work but hated leaving her alone.

Hopefully she will be back to her usual self this evening.
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

It is funny...I have been away for a bit and I see this post!

My two walk side by side hunched over both staring at something I can't see...

My two will jump at walls out of nowhere...they will be walking by and just jump...

One night, maybe two weeks ago...Messina was sleeping on the loveseat...I was sitting on the sofa with Seth on the floor by the sofa and I was petting him...we were both watching TV when I saw a small black cat? "head" come out from under this cover I have draped over the loveseat arm (Messina was nowhere near it and still alseep)...Seth turned his head the same time I did and we both saw the cover move...he walked over to it...not hissing or anything, looked at it and walked away...

Messina just now came out of the crate I have in my office with her tail all bushy! Seth came in and they sniffed at each other...I have been sitting here maybe 20mins and had no idea she was in there...no noises...no nothing, but for some reason her tail was all bushy...it isn't usually...

There are MANY things in this world we do not know about...not really sure if I want to know either...

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:03 PM

cat can see, hear and feel things differently
Old August 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM

Smile

Our 4 month old kitten was sleeping in my arms the other night when all of the sudden he opened his eyes and was staring over my shoulder. So help me God, he jumped about 4 feet off my lap onto a table and jumped a few more feet onto my treadmill.
He was completely freaked out for about a half hour. He wanted no part of me after that and he had me freaked out. I yelled for my son and and told him what happened and he couldn't get over how the cat was acting. I'm really beginning to think I have a ghost in my home. Both cats will sit and stare into thin air as if they were looking at someone. They are both very social cats, they even greet everyone at the door. There are times when they seem to be reacting to someone that isn't there. Spooky!!!
Old December 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM

I was reading the original poster's post and I got goosebumps because that is exactly what my boy has been doing. I've had Squeaky since he was 8 weeks old. 14 years ago I moved him in with me and my other cat who has since passed. We lived in the apartment for 4 years. We moved around a lot, and then in July, Squeaky and I moved back into the same building we lived in when he was a kitten. We are 2 floors up from the original suite. His behaviour has changed significantly since we moved here. Every other day, he meows constantly and then manicly gallops around. I have to say that Squeaky is a big 20pound boy and has never done a manic thing in his life

The reason I think we might have a ghost is almost exactly like the original poster. This morning Squeaky stood his full length in the bathroom door frame, and was meowing at the ceiling. He then looked in the little closet in the hall and took off galloping like he was scared. Practically every night he meows to go out the door-when I let him out, he always ends up sitting in front of our old suite meowing. He'll also sit in the same place in the front hall and meow constantly. He does a lot of things that he's never done before. It almost seems like he's getting younger instead of older.
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:25 AM

Catseyesbc has your cat been to the vet in the last year for a full blood panel & urinalysis? If not please do so & have your vet include a T4 Thyroid test in the blood panel. A lot of the symptoms you are describing in an older cat can be the same as a cat with untreated HyperThyroidism.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Willing cat servant

This thread is AWESOME
I think most of the time those things can be explained as mice, little bugs too small for us to see them in the shadows, spider webs waving slightly with the breeze but every now and then some cases could be of a more mysterious nature why not.
I had a black female called Mamoru that suddenly would look at a corner up in the ceiling with round huge eyes and then started to hiss, getting all fluffy for no apparent reason. It was really creepy. That was on a different place I used to live. Never found anything that could explain it.
However in here Scully used to "chase a ghost" for a few nights and once I lied on the floor looking at the ceiling and I realized it was a small spider web thread waving, it was too small and faint to notice it unless you really paid attention. I cleaned it XD
Most of the time it has a simple earthly explanation but you have to keep and open mind for the extraordinary. Maybe some of the cases here are supernatural why not

@Darmom that pic is really interesting particularly because you took it right when your kitty was acting like this
@Marlowe I would love to see that pic as well

Last edited by Koteburo; January 15th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:56 PM

Smile My mango

My newest addition to the family is my cat name mango. First things first my mom found him in our garage and he came right up to her rubbing his scent all on her. When he came close we noticed that he trilled. Prior to that in our house we would hear sounds of what seemed to be a cat trilling. Then we find mango in the garage. When we brought him home he was afraid of nothing although he was the baby of the house because we have 2 other cats one female and one other male. Mango is a very unique cat he is at the dinner table when ever he smells his favorite food and is there when he hears the sound of the turkey packet being opened. Mango has recently been fascinated With the microwave and the toaster oven. which are right on top of one another. We have a kitchen stool and he hops up there and stares at them both. Some times he will spit at and hiss at the microwave and run. On many occasions I have picked him up to show him there is nothing in the microwave but I could never successfully do that because he would fight me. Now mind you on a regular he would let anyone pick him up even a complete stranger and let them hold him. Now I know im not crazy this is not usual behavior I really feel that mango can sense another person or spirit in the house. what do you think?
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybellyx33 View Post
My newest addition to the family is my cat name mango. First things first my mom found him in our garage and he came right up to her rubbing his scent all on her. When he came close we noticed that he trilled. Prior to that in our house we would hear sounds of what seemed to be a cat trilling. Then we find mango in the garage. When we brought him home he was afraid of nothing although he was the baby of the house because we have 2 other cats one female and one other male. Mango is a very unique cat he is at the dinner table when ever he smells his favorite food and is there when he hears the sound of the turkey packet being opened. Mango has recently been fascinated With the microwave and the toaster oven. which are right on top of one another. We have a kitchen stool and he hops up there and stares at them both. Some times he will spit at and hiss at the microwave and run. On many occasions I have picked him up to show him there is nothing in the microwave but I could never successfully do that because he would fight me. Now mind you on a regular he would let anyone pick him up even a complete stranger and let them hold him. Now I know im not crazy this is not usual behavior I really feel that mango can sense another person or spirit in the house. what do you think?
I do beleive that animals can see and sense many things that we cannot. My bestia always looks to the door out of my bedroom and barks or growls, no matter how hard I try to distract hin or move him away he gets very strong and stays foot, he is less agressive now as I explained to him that is just my daddy and my brother checking up on me.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

My hearing dog use to stand next a wall and cock his head and listening to something . I had no idea what he was hearing until I found we had mice in our building. When I was cleaning off my stove's fan I found some mice poop on the fan grill. YUCKY!!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Me too! We are living in a 100+ year old house, but so far no one has been acting weird but it's something I've watched for.

Mind you back when we lived in Ontario and I'd have Bayley out on the trails for walks, sometimes she'd start acting weird, running back and forth, sniffing the air. Not ghosts I'm sure but there was something out there that I couldn't see, smell or hear. She'd snff, run back and forth and then in front of me a ways and stop and give me that 'hey c'mon let's go!! look. This from a dog who loves her runs and bogging. I tended to listen to her!! It only happened when we were out on the trails and never at the dog park we used to go to
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:15 PM

My crazy mango

For some reason i feel he really can sense spirits in our house. he stares at the microwave and will spit at it then run.
Attached Images

Old January 24th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Kitty pimp

i lived in a pretty infested apt house roaches and mice when the xtrminator came his first question was ok where the kits hanging out this month?
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
i lived in a pretty infested apt house roaches and mice when the xtrminator came his first question was ok where the kits hanging out this month?
You need to be really careful with spaying for bugs and mice when you have pets ,you should have your cat stay with a friend's house or some other place until the poisonous spray dry . When you do move be sure to check your belongings for roaches . My sister and I uses to bring our laundry to our mother's house and we brought our 'pet' roaches too! Poor mom had to call the bug man .