Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Compliments canned cat food

Menu Foods has listed only Compliments cat food in pouches on the recall list.
I spoke with Compliments yesterday and was told that they are not recalling any canned Compliments, but are pulling all of the cans off the shelves, as a precautionary measure.
I have a few cats, and I normally feed them both wet and dry food.
My one cat had some urinary problems so I had to keep him on wet food for a few weeks. Compliments of course. He is now at the vets, and is unable to hardly move, waiting for results from the blood tests to come back.
I am keeping the can of wet food that he last ate. He was acting normal all day Sunday and a couple of hours after he ate the canned food, he was vomitting everything in his stomach. He quickly went downhill from there and the next morning, could barely move. Don't know if he's going to make it.
Hoping it's not the food. I have a cupboard full of Compliments, as it was on sale, but am only feeding my cats dry food now.
:sad:
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Crazy,I am really sorry about your cat,I hope he recovers
As far as I know,Compliments canned slices and chunks with gravy was very much part of the recall.
Don't know why the company would say it's ok
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Angry

This is from an email I received from Compliments.

"As a precautionary measure the Compliments group / Sobeys, is voluntarily pulling all Compliments canned cat food off their shelves, including the cuts in gravy. According to Menu Foods, there is no health risk associated with the Compliments canned cat food, and this is why these cans are not counted among their recalled items. This is a voluntary recall by Sobeys. If you do have any of this product, and you feel uncomfortable feeding it to your cat, please take them back to the store for a refund."

Well, I don't like the words precautionary measure, because it makes me think they don't know yet if there is something wrong with the canned as well.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for this! I have a neighbour who feeds Compliments and have occasionally fed it myself (after a couple of days, my cats will not touch it). Now the burning question: has anyone seen Friskies' canned mentioned anywhere? The thought of 8 cats on IV's is too scary to get my mind around...
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger,I believe Friskies is Purina,right??
The same as Fancy Feast and if so they are supposedly safe,there is a statement from Purina here somewhere.
As a precaution I would not feed anything sliced or chunky in gravy,from any brand..8 cats on IV
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
~Cat Servent~

:sad: :sad: :sad:

I hope everything is ok with your kitty.

And as for Whiskas and Purina, their sites state that none of their products are made at menu foods, so they have nothing in the recall. Which is a relief because soooo many people feed that stuff as treats (even me- its the only wet Palomine will eat and luckily he only likes the pate kind or the bites, no slices or cuts. And I use a lot of their crunchy tarter treats and moist treats too, thats how I get Fagan to take his meds...so whew on that one.)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I'm glad your kitty is ok now. I think stores have either taken recalled food off the shelves by now, or at least they aren't letting people buy it. I feed my ferals Compliments and I got to the cash yesterday at IGA and they told me they couldn't sell it because it was part of the recall. You'd think they would have just taken it off the shelves before I got to the cash with 10 cans of it Anyway, if you're looking for a good quality cat food that's not too expensive you may want to give Felidae a try. I feed all of my cats the dry stuff, I buy the all life stages one for $45 for a 20 lb bag. They also have a chicken formula dry that's even cheaper, it's $35 for a 20 lb bag. What I spend in good quality food I save in vet bills.
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM

I checked my IGA yesterday and ALL the compliments foods are gone... It was kinda nice to see...

I hope your kitties are ok. I hope everybody's kitties are ok...