Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 6th, 2010, 10:48 PM

Location: I live in Illinois , orginally from Saskatchewan Canada
Thumbs down My cat is not himself

Hello all i am new here , i do hope that i can get some help or answers...
My cat Toto is 8 years old..one day he came down with a fever , rushed him to the vet ...they did blood work that all came back normal, they gave him a drug to break his fever ( which worked) they kept him for 2 days..sent him home with antibiotics and that was all...then about a week after that he started limping , he eats and drinks no problem...Took him back in to the vet this time around, pain meds...Did them ..kinda walks better...but now he is doing nothing but sleeping..still limps a bit, will not play does not come and bug me like he used too...just not himself...I am really worried...Thinking i might be taking him in again...bit they always ask is he eating and drinking and doing potty..yes, yes and yes...
If someone can kinda give me an idea much appreciated..
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Doggie Wench

Welcome crissy .

If Toto is still on the pain meds, that would probably explain his sleeping a lot. Did your vet not try to find out the cause of the limp? I think if you're not comfortable with the lack of diagnosis from your current vet, perhaps a visit with a new vet (perhaps one that specializes in felines) might help give you the answers you're seeking.

Hope Toto feels much better soon .
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:02 PM

No he stopped taking the pain meds about a week and a half ago...he looked at his foot and when he touched one toe he just about bite the vet ( Toto never bites or yells at anyone so out of charater for him) so he tried to cut the nail and said that he must have twisted it or caught the nail on something...I can touch his foot no problem..
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

With all of this going to the vet and being given meds was there any blood work done? Any urine/poop samples taken? How can they medicate a cat when they don't know what they are medicating for? Cats are extremely good at hiding pain. If you are seeing something wrong with your kitty he needs to go back or to a new vet and some tests need to be done. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

One thought as I read you post was the calicivirus, which can settle in the joints of cats causing a high fever and enough pain that some won't walk. The only thing you can do is supportive care and it is rare that cats don't survive. The key is to keep the fever down.

Another is an infection/abcess in one of his legs. Did the vet look for any swelling? Xrays?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:23 AM

yes they did blood work all was normal...Vet did check for swelling nothing...It is like he is depressed too...
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Well looks like toto is on the mend he is acting more like himself , not all there yet but getting there...thanks everyone for your comments and concerns ...
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad to hear he's feeling better, crissy! for a swift and complete recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."