Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old October 26th, 2005, 07:58 AM
<-----nut ball

Bring on the caseroles!

Now that my friend is on bed rest for her pregnancy until April, I need some ideas for caseroles I can make for her!

I need recipes for ones that be pre-made, but not pre-cooked. Something that can be stuck in the freezer and then popped in the oven.

I have one for a pasta dish with red sauce and a ricotta filling in the middle (like manacotti or lasagna, but using shells). I also have a great suffed green pepper filling that I make in small foil dishes as a side that I know she loves.

Anyone got any good recipes with Potatoes maybe? Like scallopped potatoes?

Also, she is allergic to all nuts, cherries, peaches, apricots, and anything else in that family of fruits and nuts.
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

oh, Scallop Potatoes Lorraine are yummy...

5lb bag of potatoes, could for 10 minutes then cooled and sliced
1/2lb of bacon fried up with 2 large onions and a dash of pepper
4eggs combined with 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup cream
400g of swiss cheese shredded
grease a dish, put a layer of potatoes, then a layer of bacon stuff, then a sprinkling of chees.. repeat two more times then pour Egg mixture over top, cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour, removing cover for last 10 minutes.

This is a favorite that is always asked for at family gatherings.
Old October 26th, 2005, 12:08 PM

It not potatoes, but is really good!

Creamy Spinach with crispy topping

2 packs frozed chopped spinach
1/2 cup ranch dressing
250g tub of Phildelphia chive and onion cream cheese
2 eggs
1 cup of Ritz cracker crumbs
1 1/2 cups of Kraft Double Cheddar shreds

In a bowl mix 2 eggs (slightly beaten), thawed and drained spinach, ranch dressing, cream cheese, 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese, and 1/2 cup of the ritz cracker crumbs.

Put in 2L casserole top with remaing cracker crumbs and cheese. Bake for 20 min and 375 degrees.

This dish makes about 10 servings, but microwaves really well as a leftover
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.

Last edited by Roxy's_MA; October 26th, 2005 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added comment
Old October 26th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Not a casserole, but since Thanksgiving is coming up, use the leftovers to make pot pies to stick in the freezer. I make extra peas & carrots. Also, extra gravy and extra piecrust dough when I make my pies. Just buy some disposable tin tart pans. Leftover meat, veges, piecrust - easy to make a bunch all ready to stick in the freezer. Uhhh . . . on second thought, if you're in Canada, you might not have Thanksgiving leftovers! What the hey! Roast a turkey and celebrate something anyway - for the leftovers!

Meatloaf can be made up all ready for the oven and frozen also. Just thaw and bake.
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
Not a casserole, but since Thanksgiving is coming up, use the leftovers to make pot pies to stick in the freezer. .
LOL, good suggestion, but Thanksgiving has come and gone for us up here
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:10 PM

LOL gave me a shock there... I thought this was another revived thread, but then raingirl said really recently about the casseroles for the preggers friend... I was so confused!

Ok, so a casserole is basically a bunch of stuff in a lasagna pan? I never knew what it was. They always say it on tv and I kind of got an idea but not really...

How about making lasagnas? Or quiches, too?

My lasagna is tomato sauce, noodles, LOTS of spinach and cheese (parmasan, mozarella and really, really old cheddar (the stuff that's aged for 2 or 10 years depending on my budget...)) then noodles, a bit of sauce and more spinach and cheese, noodles and then cheese. I precook the spinach so I can get more in there... Mmmm. If you mix in broccoli or cauliflower too, it becomes very very filling. (Yes, it's fatty lasagna but it's only once in a while, right?)
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin

My lasagna is tomato sauce, noodles, LOTS of spinach and cheese (parmasan, mozarella and really, really old cheddar (the stuff that's aged for 2 or 10 years depending on my budget...)) then noodles, a bit of sauce and more spinach and cheese, noodles and then cheese. I precook the spinach so I can get more in there... Mmmm. If you mix in broccoli or cauliflower too, it becomes very very filling. (Yes, it's fatty lasagna but it's only once in a while, right?)
See, by adding in all that spinach, you counteract any of the fattyness, and it becomes a wonderfully healthy dish which should be enjoyed whenever you should so desire!
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:33 PM

LOL I didn't even try to bring up that logic, but YES, that's exactly why there is so much spinach. That and the fact that spinach and cheese go so well together.