Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 5th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Willing cat servant

My Furball has furballs~

Well this is my dilema:

Scully, one of my fur baby girls it's a pukey cat that tends to get furball problems.
I started giving her hairball paste treatment and it has helped her a lot making diminishing the frequency of the vomiting by a lot so I'm happy in that regard but my question is about the brushing.
I bought a brush very similar to the furminator (different brand, same kind of design) but sometimes I get the impression that after using it she has more furball problems than usual. About a year ago she got really sick for about 10 days, she didn't want to eat, she was sad and overall I could tell she felt bad. After taking her to the vet multiple times, tests, we all realized it was a severe case of furballs (Plus I remember L4H nailed it on these forums actually what no one else could figure until then) After vomiting a whole bunch of furballs through the days she finally felt better and back to her old self.
Anyways I think that happened not so far after a session with the brush.
On January this 2012 I brushed her and about a week later she vomited more than usual (like 3 or 4 times in 1 week but that was all).
Could it be a coincidence? Or does any of you have had problems of that sort with those brushes?
Mulder doesn't have any problem when I use it but again she doesn't have furballs at all (brush or not).
So what do you think? Coincidence? And if not is there a way I can use the brush but in a way that doesn't cause her that problem?
Because you see the thing is Scully sheds A LOT. She always had so I'm trying to help her.
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:34 AM

I had the same thing with my long hair Maine coon. Furminator left too much loose hair and he got plugged up for almost 2 weeks.

I found that when I use the Furminator I have to follow it up with a good brushing using a standard wire type brush to get rid of all the loose hair that the Furminator pulled up.

By standard wire brush I mean one that looks like these > http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...af6e916d5#x0y5
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
I had the same thing with my long hair Maine coon. Furminator left too much loose hair and he got plugged up for almost 2 weeks.

I found that when I use the Furminator I have to follow it up with a good brushing using a standard wire type brush to get rid of all the loose hair that the Furminator pulled up.

By standard wire brush I mean one that looks like these > http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...af6e916d5#x0y5
You have confirmed my theory and my other theory of how to fix the loose hair (I also thought of using a brush but not the wire one which I think is a better idea actually). I will give that a try. I'm very hesitating to use the furminator after her episodes of fur.
Thank you so much
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:55 AM

You can also finish after using the furminator type brush by wiping a damp paper towel over the coat from head to tail, the wetness will pick up any loose hairs. Used do this all the time after brushing out the Siberian Huskies

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Willing cat servant

Now that I read growler's tip I feel like trying everything (if Scully lets me of course haha) Furmi, brushing and finishing off with a wet paper towel. Because I'm very hesitating to use the furminator after what happened but if she lets me I'll perfect it with all that.
Or if not try one or the other whatever she feels more comfortable with in case she gets too stressed.
Thanks for your advice~
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM

Caution:

Furminator followed by wire brushing will cause Scully to become addicted to brushing.

My long hair will come running whenever I pick up the brushes. He will knock over anything in his path to get to the brushes. He will attack and push away any of the 3 other short haired cats I have if they get in between him and the brushes. (I just use the wire one on the short haird ones since the don't seem to need the Furminator that often). He will bug the crap out of me when he decides that it is time for me to brush him.

However, That action does come in real handy when it is time to catch him to trim his nails.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Willing cat servant

That's awesome. I'm getting a wire brush this week. I really hope she becomes addicted to it like your kitty :P
I'll use the wire one for my gray tabby since she doesn't have such a big shedding issue.
I'm like scully I lose crazy amounts of hair daily but I have so much that it never seems to make any difference... Maybe I need the furminator too XD
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Get the largest wire brush that you can. Get a dog size one, the small cat sized ones work but the large ones are better.
As an added bonus use the wire brush to take the hair off the furminator as you brush. Then pull the hair off the wire brush to the trash can. Saves time.
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
Get the largest wire brush that you can. Get a dog size one, the small cat sized ones work but the large ones are better.
As an added bonus use the wire brush to take the hair off the furminator as you brush. Then pull the hair off the wire brush to the trash can. Saves time.
Excellent! I'm going tomorrow. Thanks for the tips