Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM

How do you know when it's time to...

...euthanize?

I'm trying to decide what to do with my 10 year old chocolate lab, Max. He is a blind diabetic. His diabetes is under control now with two insulin shots a day. A few months ago he a bad bout of pancreatitis which set off a horrible case of ketoacidosis. Thousands of dollars latter he is now better.

Though not related to Max's recent medical emergency, his voice started to go. It sounds hoarse and the poor soul can no longer howl at the sound of a siren. Over the summer things progressed from bad to worse. Now he has severe retching when he wakes, day or night. He sometimes spits up during these long episodes. His breathing is always loud but his oral colour stays a nice shade of pink. He has only choked once while eating.

I have not had a diagnosis of LP confirmed buy I very sure this is the problem. I'm not sure what to do. I'm on a pension and cannot afford another large hospital and surgery bill. I'm just getting over the last three thousand dollar (plus) bill from his diabetes episode mentioned above. I don't mean to sound whiny but the hundred dollar a month cost of insulin, syringes plus fairly often fructosamine testing is a little steep. Tie back surgery for LP is not an option for me. My budget can't handle it and I'm not sure if my dog is even a good candidate for surgery. (Diabetics have bad veins.)

I know I'll have to put this dog down but I don't know when.

That's the question. What do I do and when do I do it?

I live by myself. If Max stops breathing there is nothing I will be able to do. I can't lift him. He is a very large dog (106 lbs.). Because I have COPD, I won't be able to give him first aid and/or resuscitation. Heck, I can't breath for myself let alone anybody else. I know how terrifying it is not being able to breathe. I don't want my dog to suffer that.

Thoughts?
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear about Max. and don't envy you for having to make this decision. :sad:

IMO, if the bad days out number the good days, it is time. If your baby has no joy left in life, it is time. If your baby is daily pain that can't be controlled, it is time. It is always better a week too soon, than a week too late.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'm a softy

I am so sorry you are going through this, it is never easy, and never an easy choice to make for your friend that you love so much, if he is no longer happy and is suffering, then you know maybe it is time, you will know, and only you will know, that is not something anyone can tell you. If he still finds happiness, and gets enjoyment out of his day, then maybe there are some small things that would help him, maybe a change of food perhaps, that would aid in weightloss and improve his well being? Good luck, my heart goes out to you at this difficult time.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I so understand your anguish over this issue. It's never easy to come to terms with the mortality of our beloved pets, and the decision to euthanize can be the hardest one we ever make. Perhaps you can find some answers in this article by a veterinary oncologist (Dr. Alice Villalobos) who devised a quality of life scale to help assess when it's time to let them go: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co...-for-pets.aspx

And a short version: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co...ife-scale.aspx

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler