Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 13th, 2008, 11:46 AM

3-month-old Birman kitten, Samantha

My 3-month-old Samantha is finally better. She's much more active and eating now. I feed her 3 tablespoon of Science Diet Kitten canned food + 1 1/2 tablespoon of Science Diet Kitten dry food a day. Her pooh is returning to normal (still a bit soft and wet but no diarrhea). One strange thing though, whenever I put a towel inside the cage for her, she poohs on it. Last night when I left her cage door open and gave her a normal size litter box outside her cage, she went to the litter box to pooh & pee and her cage was perfectly clean this morning. However, when I gave her a towel inside the cage just before we went out for dinner, I found pooh on the towel when I came back. How do I change that? I want her to sleep on my bed with my other cat Mama when she becomes a bit larger (so she can protect herself from Mama), what should I do? Also, is it too early to give her a bath? I think her fur is kinda dirty because whenever I hold her, I got this itchy bumps appearing and disappearing when I put her down...
Attached Images

Samantha/BB (11-month-old ~~ Born on Oct 9, 2007)

Mama (17-year-old) - passed away
Sabrina (11 year-old) - passed away on Feb 7, 2006
Meow Meow (8 year-old) - passed away on May 15

My nephew:
Bor Bor (6 year-old puppy)
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
~Cat Servent~

She is adorable! And you get bumps? Did you treat her for fleas? That sounds like what I used to get when we had some fleas here.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:07 AM
-

It sounds like fleas to me too. Also, I would change her cat food to a premium/holistic brand.
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I second Rainbow's suggestion to change her food. Science Diet is terrible. Also, cats don't need dry food so if you can give her as much wet as possible, she'll be better off in the long run.

As for the itchiness, are you sure you're not just having an allergic reaction (hives)?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Missing My Bubba Bear

she may be too young for flea protection, which is what it sounds like. get a flea comb and give her a thorough bath. you'll know quickly if it is fleas or an allergy.

I know you say she's too young for a bath but I've never listened to that. if the animals that come through my house have fleas, I'm screwed. so i do it with sensitve shampoo and I've never had a problem. never. I've done it dozens of times. just dry really well.

Last edited by amatazes; January 14th, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:11 PM
proud to be a cat slave

The bumps sound like hives to me - especially if they go away not too much later. I used to get hives (probably still do) from touching small rodents - bunnies, rats, mice, etc.

Flea bites do not go away as quickly. I wish they would!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)