Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old March 28th, 2009, 04:28 AM

Nail clipping concern

Ever since we got Gizzy he gets psycho when he try to cut his nails/put soft paws on. Now that I have the grooming bag, he cant wiggle away.

When I cut his nails he whimpers/meows and/or hisses.

I test fit new soft paws and get the same reaction.

Is he being a suck or do some cats never get used to nail trimmings? Any insight as to what would make him react this way?
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM

I have a poly dactyl who has never gotten used to getting his nails trimmed. He growls deeply whenever he senses it's 'that time'. It always takes more than one person to get the job done, but he is definitely a grumpy kitty by nature. I find my newest cat doesn't need her nails trimmed half as often because of the scratch box I got her. Several times a day she uses it and her nails are considerably dulled. Hope this helps!
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Catlover2

You might try putting something yummy on the top of your cats paws, like a dab of butter, chicken fat, cheese, salmon juice---whatever it is they really like. This approach should change their mind that when you touch their paws that it isn't always to clip claws but to give them something good. Some cats react to nail trimming with fear or fight because they've had the "quick"=vein nipped and they remember the pain and don't want it to happen again. Next, try to gently massage their feet until eventually you can put enough pressure to make the claws extend. End the session with a treat. When your cats are comfortable and acceptble with this, just clip one claw, and then give a treat. Next time add an additional claw. Have patience and do it very gradually. The whole idea is nail trimming is an enjoyable experience for them. When I get out nail clippers to clip my own nails, my two sit beside me, waiting as if to say, "Me too!".
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:27 AM
Garden nut

Linx still growls. I call him Mr Grumpy Growly Man when he does it because his growling doesn't escalate to anything else - just empty threats.

But he used to squirm, wiggle and growl. Now he just growls and does nothing else, and sits there and waits for me to finish. I have him in my lap with his back to me.

Before when he would wiggle and growl I would take out the treat bag and he would get a treat after every claw trimmed successfully. Now, no treats are needed.

Keep trying, you'll get there.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Onnie jus doesnt like me touching his paws. Without 'aid' I cant do one claw.

Aid = him sitting on someones lap face first in a tub of catnip. I can do whatever I want to his paws at that point...he's too distracted

So bring out the nip = kitty claw trimming time. Really works for us.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:18 AM
Senior Contributor

that being said the soft paws is a lot more handling than just the trimming. Have you tried trimming alone without soft paws? Maybe ure cat just really hates the softpaws too?

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
You might try putting something yummy on the top of your cats paws, like a dab of butter, chicken fat, cheese, salmon juice---whatever it is they really like. This approach should change their mind that when you touch their paws that it isn't always to clip claws but to give them something good. Some cats react to nail trimming with fear or fight because they've had the "quick"=vein nipped and they remember the pain and don't want it to happen again. Next, try to gently massage their feet until eventually you can put enough pressure to make the claws extend. End the session with a treat. When your cats are comfortable and acceptble with this, just clip one claw, and then give a treat. Next time add an additional claw. Have patience and do it very gradually. The whole idea is nail trimming is an enjoyable experience for them. When I get out nail clippers to clip my own nails, my two sit beside me, waiting as if to say, "Me too!".
Putting any kind of food or treat on his paws when he's irritated, he will ignore it until you leave him alone or let him run away. He usually lets me extend the claws with little irritation to check all his soft paws or just to check the lengths. I think its the nail clipper that scares him the most, even though I let him sniff it. If there is no hissing or trying to bite/scratch me then I give him a treat after we're done. Patience...now that's something I used to have before trying to treat his problems. Sometimes it gets so frustrating that maybe he would be better off in the wild, but I know I could never let myself do that to him. Maybe it's time to call an animal behaviourist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Linx still growls. I call him Mr Grumpy Growly Man when he does it because his growling doesn't escalate to anything else - just empty threats.

But he used to squirm, wiggle and growl. Now he just growls and does nothing else, and sits there and waits for me to finish. I have him in my lap with his back to me.

Before when he would wiggle and growl I would take out the treat bag and he would get a treat after every claw trimmed successfully. Now, no treats are needed.

Keep trying, you'll get there.
I would take the growling over the hissing/biting/scratching any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
that being said the soft paws is a lot more handling than just the trimming. Have you tried trimming alone without soft paws? Maybe ure cat just really hates the softpaws too?
When all the claws are bear I trim just the claws one day, wait a couple days and then put soft paws on. But when its just one or two that he manages to pull off, if they are really sharp I trim them and then put soft paws on. But if they aren't sharp then I just replace the soft paws.

I really have no idea why he hisses for the first 2 index claws on each paw. Maybe it really is hopeless...:sad:
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Oksana grows the entire time I'm trimming her nails. Not really a growl, but some sort of scary as heck hiss or something.

It could be your cat doesn't like the soft paws and he knows that's coming. Cats nails aren't constantly extended, and I get the feeling when they retract, with the soft paws on, it might be uncomfortable, since they are visible. If they are visible they have to be somewhat extended. That's always been my feeling, so I've never put them on my cats.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Oksana grows the entire time I'm trimming her nails. Not really a growl, but some sort of scary as heck hiss or something.

It could be your cat doesn't like the soft paws and he knows that's coming. Cats nails aren't constantly extended, and I get the feeling when they retract, with the soft paws on, it might be uncomfortable, since they are visible. If they are visible they have to be somewhat extended. That's always been my feeling, so I've never put them on my cats.
Until they have their own room and can scratch whatever they want, soft paws are staying. And also, since the only time they find them annoying is when they are grooming and find this strange substance on their paws that they feel they have to get it off.

Soft Paw usage will always be an endless debate. But at least it's an effective alternative to de-clawing which I will never ever do.

So today Gizzy managed to pull off 3, so I did his first. Tried to do it without the bag he hissed, so in the bag he went. Then I got a blanket and put it over his head. Out of sight, out of mind mentality. No whimpering/hissing.

Then I made Gizzy (still in bag to let glue dry) watch me trim Forest's paws, since Forest loves belly rubs, Gizzy always watched and now he begs for belly rubs. Forest just sat while I trimmed and put 5 more soft paws on. Gizzy watched calmly, hopefully he learned something