Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Unhappy cat c-section question very worried

i have a cat that just had babies yesturday, but i wasn't around for it. So today i noticed she still pretty big, and has a rotton odour coming out of her. I took her to the vet, and she thinks there is still a kitten inside but is dead so she said she'd have to do a c-section. My question is that i'm very worried cause she said most of the time they don't make it through a c-section. Will my kitty make it through surgery to take care of the little ones she already has, or will i lose her?
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Go to the vet and ask the vet about this.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM
banned user

I think you should have had a nice lengthy discussion with your vet as to why he/she feels that most cats die in C-section. We are not able to answer a question like yours. Only a vet can.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana
i have a cat that just had babies yesturday, but i wasn't around for it. So today i noticed she still pretty big, and has a rotton odour coming out of her. I took her to the vet, and she thinks there is still a kitten inside but is dead so she said she'd have to do a c-section. My question is that i'm very worried cause she said most of the time they don't make it through a c-section. Will my kitty make it through surgery to take care of the little ones she already has, or will i lose her?
Cat's do fine with a c-section but you're burning daylight with her, the more time wasted, a good chance Mom will have problems. She should be able to care for the kittens and still nurse them even if she is spayed. However, be prepared to bottle feed the kittens.

Did your vet xray her? Imaging can show any remaining kittens. Needless to say this does sound like a surgery case even if she did not retain a kitten. The sooner the better for momma kitty.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Go to a different vet if this one thinks she is going to "kill" your cat by completing a c-section...and I would encourage you to do this asap as the longer you wait the greater the chance for complications.

If you had a dead baby inside of you, you'd likely want it out asap too!!

I hope it all works out!!
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

You think having a C-section/spay will kill your cat, but having a dead rotting body inside her won't?

You better get this done ASAP.
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Pls bring yourmama cat to a vet for a c section asap. The infection of the dead kitten is worse than surgery - which will be complicated by the infection but the sooner she has the c sect, the better!!

Good luck!!
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM

sorry she didn't make it through

well i got the c-section done that day asap, she had bad infection and got her spayed. and the vet said she came out fine but she went to check on something came back and she went into shock and i lost her, she tried to bring her back, but she just couldn't. But i still have the four babies which are part of her that i have to remember her by. I friends cat had kittens awhile ago and she adopted them, so they are doing just fine she took them like they were her own, thanks everyone for your help.
Lana :sad:
Old April 8th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I am very sorry Lana. Thank you for trying. Cats do fair well with c-sections as long as they are not already suffering from other problems. Sounds like she came through the Sx okay, recovery can be just as tough for a momma cat after going through delivery & infections. You tried your best.