Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:15 AM

spot on flea and tick meds

This is my first post and I hope I have the right forum for it.

I have read a great deal about the difficulty in getting spot on flea meds such as Advantage and wonder how the vets managed to have this declared a controlled substance and what office agreed with them?

My regular vet now retired did not require us to bring our cats in for a check up, he simply dispensed what we needed. The new vet requires us to bring in one cat for a check up (we have four) and then dispenses what we need for all.
I don't see how either way is controlling the meds, it just seems like a money grab to me, but that's just my opinion.
I hope someone can tell me what office or ministry did this.
Thnx
Bastet
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

You can search the forum for posts about the subject. Or you could try
www.petpharm.org

Welcome to the site btw!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM

To me it sounds like a racket. I believe you can purchase Advantage otc in the US but not here. I'll go down to Buffalo to get it to avoid this shakedown. If anyone knows anywhere in the GTA to purchase Advantage otc, please post. Thanks
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster View Post
To me it sounds like a racket. I believe you can purchase Advantage otc in the US but not here. I'll go down to Buffalo to get it to avoid this shakedown. If anyone knows anywhere in the GTA to purchase Advantage otc, please post. Thanks

So - this racket/shakedown - say you haven't had your cats(s) in for their yearly checkup for oh I don't know, two years. I know I am assuming a lot but I am thinking if your vet is asking you to bring in at least one cat for a checkup before dispensing meds it's been a while since you've had them in. Right? Say in those years something has changed with one of them. For the sake of a "what if" let's say the cat has become allergic to certain medications. One of those ingredients that kitty is now allergic to is in Advantage. So vet dispenses Advantage or other flea meds for you, kitty get really ill from that medication and dies. Do you then try to sue your vet or do you say "Oh well, Ha, guess I should have taken the kitty in for a checkup before applying those meds"?

Now I know that is an extreme example but truly, I don't know any doctor who, not having seen his patient for a long time, will dispense medication for that patient. Would you call it a cash grab if it were for human medication under the same circumstances? Are vets not to make a living plying their craft? How well do you think they'd do if all of their customers diagnosed their pets at home and then phoned in for meds?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
So - this racket/shakedown - say you haven't had your cats(s) in for their yearly checkup for oh I don't know, two years. I know I am assuming a lot but I am thinking if your vet is asking you to bring in at least one cat for a checkup before dispensing meds it's been a while since you've had them in. Right? Say in those years something has changed with one of them. For the sake of a "what if" let's say the cat has become allergic to certain medications. One of those ingredients that kitty is now allergic to is in Advantage. So vet dispenses Advantage or other flea meds for you, kitty get really ill from that medication and dies. Do you then try to sue your vet or do you say "Oh well, Ha, guess I should have taken the kitty in for a checkup before applying those meds"?

Now I know that is an extreme example but truly, I don't know any doctor who, not having seen his patient for a long time, will dispense medication for that patient. Would you call it a cash grab if it were for human medication under the same circumstances? Are vets not to make a living plying their craft? How well do you think they'd do if all of their customers diagnosed their pets at home and then phoned in for meds?
Very well said, 14+

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:13 PM

I'll take responsibility. Imagine that. In Canada!!
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

My vet will give me Advantage without seeing my cats,but he knows them inside out.
If I see a flea on any of my cats,I usually get a 2 months supply,but only after I find a flea.
I cannot see why you would have a problem bringing one cat in for a check-up.
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM

Have you tried ordering flea meds from a reliable pet supply company. I order heartworm meds and flea meds for our dog, I still need a heartworm test from our vet, the company calls the vet to confirm, and sends me both flea and heartworm meds much cheaper, and the exact same thing the vet sells.
Old August 5th, 2011, 08:05 AM

All these products are expensive. Online prices are a little better but there may be quality issues. I had a batch of Frontline that I ordered from Australia that simply did not work and I ended up with fleas everywhere. I switched to advantage and have not had an issue yet.

I am hoping that now that Frontline's 'fipronil' patent has expired, that prices will come down a lot. But, so far, all I have seen is Walmart's new 'PetArmor' for dogs. And Its price is about the same as Frontline so no real savings there.