Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old December 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Lost Corgi in North York, Toronto

We are visiting relatives in Toronto from Montreal. Yesterday (Dec 29) we were away from the house when someone decided the dogs wanted to go out. They took them outside. The 3 year old Corgi, Lucy, was spooked by something and ran away. It took us 25 min to return home. We have searched everywhere but no luck. Lucy is:

Pembroke Welsh Corgi (no tail)
about 28 lbs
Brown and White

If anyone can provide any information it would be appreciated.

Ken Campbell or Carmen Saldarriaga
Toronto: 416 745-5424

Montreal: 514 630-9064 (after the 1st January)

or the North York Toronto Animal Services 416 338-8723

Thank you very much

Ken

I've tried to add a picture but I don't know how ot make one small enough in size to be acceptable.

Last edited by rockyc; December 30th, 2005 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add picture
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Was Lucy wearing a collar or harness with ID Tags and is she microchipped? The ID tags would give comfort to someone seeing a Corgi as there are a few that I have seen in Toronto matching Lucy's description (not Lucy though).
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:41 PM

No, we were not at home as we had been invited to dinner. We did not expect to be long and never thought that my friend's mother would try to take the dogs outside on her own. But she did, and Lucy spooked over something. So she is out with no no collar or her tags with phone numbers etc (even if a Montreal number). I blame myself for not putting the collars on before we left. We have in the past but it was something that just slipped. We are just sick given that this is not even a neighbourhood she knows very well. Corgi's are not the most common of dogs so we are hoping. If she sees children or another dog she will want to go up to them but is not so trusting of adults.

Ken
Old December 30th, 2005, 10:40 PM

Lucy Found

Our huge good fortune we have found Lucy. She was injured, probably hit by a car, and taken by Animal Control to the Emergency Vet at 280 Sheppard Ave West. So she has a broken hip. The x-ray's also showed very bad bladder stones. This is the second occurance of this problem - surgery already once. I believe it was difficulty with these stones which caused her to be uncomfortable, panic and run away in the first place.

We must return to Montreal and our Vet as soon as possible. In the mean time, if anyone has info they care to share on bladder stones it would be appreciated. It has been over a year since the last bout. She has been on Science Diet food mixed with about 1/2 cup water each feeding since the last session. But obviously this is not keeping the stones at bay.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Very happy that Lucy has been found. I met 2 Corgi's at PetSmart last week - they were in the shopping cart in front of me in the long line. My Eskimo was quite taken with them - and do they sound exactly like your Lucy. Very sorry that she was injured - thank heavens she was taken to Emergency. Also sorry that Lucy has stones - I get kidney stones and one of my passed on mini Dachshunds had 4 bladder stones removed during his back surgery - he also had crystals. He had to eat one of the Hill's canned foods - the one that looks like white lard - for 6 months. That was rough because he was a true gourmet. At end of 6 months, the crystals had dissolved and no further stones developed so we were lucky. But I did ensure that his diet - "his" food and "ours - meaning "also his" was low in purines and oxalic acids - we shared. But unfortunately sometimes no matter what you do the stones come back. I wish you the best in transporting Lucy back to Montreal. During her healing process you might need to use a sling to help her walk. Don't beat yourself up about the no tags, I just asked because if I happened to see Lucy, I would want to be sure it was her before I took her home and called you - and not some other person's dog. My dog is micro-chipped but doesn't wear a collar in the house - the Eskie fur gets matted -and he is a puller so we use a harness that has his ID attached. But I am rethinking this and may get a rolled leather collar for in house use, just in case. In 1987 we visited my husband's parents in Ottawa and left 2 of our Dachshunds in their house while we all went to his sister's. I was comfortable only because as no people were left in the house there was no chance any one would let them out - otherwise I would have been worried. I would be terrified with our current little white escape artist - blends right into the walls.