Thread: Best Cat Food?
View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Molly & Mrs Norris's mum

Cats are as individual as people, so there's no *one* best cat food.

When I switched my girls from Cat Chow, I went to a specialty Pet Food store and spoke to the clerk there about what I wanted, and what I wanted to get away from. Personally, I'd go for the all-natural/holistic foods right off the bat. The bonus about going to a specialty store is that they will most likely offer you free samples to take home and try. There's no point in paying $20 or more on a bag and then finding out your kitties won't touch it.

The brands my Specialty Pet Food Store Lady recommended to me:
:: Felidae - comes in a Cat & Kitten all-life stage formula
:: Natural Balance - all-life stage formula
:: Wellness Super5Mix Kitten (well, my Lady recommended the Adult Cat formula, but they have kitten formula too)
:: Innova EVO Cat & Kitten
:: Eagle Pack Kitten formula

My best suggestion - read as much about these foods and their companies, and pick the one that feels like the best fit for you and your kitties. In all my research, I noticed one thing: the better the food, the more likely the site will have the ingredients listed online. The ones above all do. Purina and others similar? Not a chance. I think they want you to go all the way to the store to read the bags, and since you're already there with the bag in your hand, they figure you'll just buy theirs.

The majority of the dry food formulas above also have wet foods available. I give my girls wet as a treat, but I let them free-feed on the dry.

Good luck with your kitties!