View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie35 View Post
I have just joined the forum and was searching for a good dog food other than the prescription (my dog will NOT eat it) as she just had surgery for bladder stones. She is 3/1 shih tzu, jack russell.
I had not thought to check the snack ingrediants....
I give "Tuesday" baby carrots for her snacks mostly as do not her to get fat.
SO does anyone know a good dog food to protect against bladder stones?
The prescription diet from your Vet would have caused more problems and your dog is smart to have avoided it. Vets make around 40% profit off the Hills prescraption diets they sell. So please, if anyone reads this, do not feed your dog Science Diet Hills.. it is made from very poor ingredients which will cause more harm to your pets because of the undigestible fillers like corn that it contains.

Look for foods that are labeled "Human-grade" because in Canada and the U.S. there are very stringent rules about foods that are to be labeled human grade. This will ensure your pet has super high quality food.

My Bichon at one time, when I first adopted him, would pee blood occaisionally. His old owners were feeding him Merrick's, which is excellent food, but it had rice in it. When I switched him to grain-free Orijen (also excellent), the peeing blood stopped! When I allowed his old owners to watch him, have him visit their place, they fed him kibble with rice in it. Although the kibble was very high quality, he would come back to me the next day peeing blood. This happened 5 times out of the 6 times he slept over there!! I noticed that after I stopped letting him sleep over he would never again pee blood. I did a lot of research and found that Bichons are susceptible to urinary calculi (stones) and putting two and two together, it made me see that grains were what was causing stones to form.

This may not be the case with your dog, but I would say switching to a grain-free human grade kibble like Orijen is worth trying. It will take a little while but I think that you will notice a difference.