View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizw212 View Post
I think my roommate finally got more forceful (i don't know if that's the right word) with yelling at them when they didn't use it
So not a good idea. Yelling at cats only increases their anxiety over the situation. Praising them is for sure great, but the yelling part could backfire.

Quote:
There are two litterboxes; I think it's called Breeze (it uses pellets, not litter).
Pellet litters don't tend to be well accepted by cats (having said that, I do use pellets - as well as a finer clumping litter - for my kitties but they were raised on it and they also have the option to choose something else if they don't feel like walking on such a coarse material).

The biggest problem with the Breeze system is that the pellets need to be replaced very frequently or else they retain urine odours. Cats are more sensitive to these odours and may decide they'd rather not walk through pee-infused pellets in order use the loo. I would highly recommend your roommate at least provide the cats with one more box containing a fine, unscented clumping litter. Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract might be a good choice for the time-being.

Quote:
They both take medicam,
Woa. Are you telling me that Bob, with known renal issues, is taking an NSAID that is contraindicated for use in cats with renal issues (and can in fact, CAUSE renal failure)???? There is even a black box warning by the FDA on administering oral Metacam to healthy cats, nevermind sick ones. What are Bob and Sam taking Metacam for anyway?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler