View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Snoopy Is Home!!

Snoopy is home but it just hasn’t been our day.

A lot of you asked me to let you know the results of today’s visit with the new vet. Sugarcat, you had asked that I let you know the type of insulin and how much.

INSULIN: Lantus (Insulin glargine injection) 100 IU

DOSE: 2 units to be given twice a day at 8:00AM and 8:00PM immediately following his meal

FOOD: Hill’s Prescription Diet w/d (canned). We are to give Snoopy 1 to 1 ½ cans each day, divided into 2 meals to be given 20 minutes before each insulin injection.

They said we’re to continue with the above until Monday when we have to taken Snoopy in again, but can bring him right home again.

I’m NOT happy because:

I had a doctor’s appointment this morning myself for 10:20 which my husband had to stay home from work for to take me. I can’t drive at the moment due to my injury and the medications I take. Also, we live 25 kilometers outside the city where he works, the vet office is and our doctor’s office is. We had told the vets office that our meeting with the vet would have to be later today because of my appointment and hubby having to miss work this morning. He could NOT take the whole day off. That’s why the vet’s office made our appointment for 4:45 today.

We get home from my appointment, hubby leaves immediately again to drive back to the city to work and arrives there at 1:25. The VET’s office called me at home at 1:30 and said we needed to come in “NOW” as the vet wanted to leave early due to the weather. I told them there was no way we could do that because of the reasons above, and that they KNEW that when THEY made the arrangements with my husband on MONDAY for today! They then asked: “Well, isn’t there someone else who can drive you in now? You really need to get here as soon as you possibly can.”

I called my husband at work and he managed to track down our oldest son, who was about 35 kilometers away from home. He drove all the way home to get me, drive me back to the city to the vet’s office and we arrived at 3:00 p.m. The VET HAD ALREADY LEFT!!! So the only person my son and I spoke to was the technician.

She showed us a “shaved” spot on Snoopy’s back, between his shoulder blades that is approximately 2 inches x 2 inches. They said they did that to him to show us how and where to give the injection. Then they gave me a bag with FOUR cans of Hill’s Prescription Diet w/d; about 10 syringes and the bottle of insulin.

I asked: “What about glucose testing? How will I know if I’m giving Snoopy enough insulin or too much if I’m not testing him at home? And why are you giving me this canned food when Snoopy has only eaten DRY food his entire life and not this brand? Why didn’t you feed him what my husband brought in with him on Monday?”

She replied: “Oh, don’t worry about any of that. He’ll be fine until Monday when you bring him in again. We gave him the food because it‘s much better than what you‘ve been feeding him so don‘t change him back when you get home today or his sugar will be off.” I told her that I CAN’T DRIVE right now; my husband has to WORK; and our two boys will be in school on Monday. She told me to tell my husband to drop Snoopy off in the morning at 8:00a.m. again when they open (he’s supposed to be at work at 8:00am) and then pick Snoopy up on his way home at 5:30 and that we’ll have to do that at least 3, 4 or 5 more times over the next two weeks until THEY get his sugar and insulin dose level.

So…I’m very upset…I’m worried and afraid for Snoopy…and I’m a tad put out by this whole experience with this office.

I’d already had a bad day when my doctor told me I had to have an I.V. drug heart test on Feb. 21st that I don’t want to have. Why? I’M TERRIFIED.

So, I think I really need to go to bed. That is, if I can sleep without worrying to death about Snoopy all night.

Good night friends.